PDA

View Full Version : Carbon steerers and Chris King headsets

Dlevy05
03-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Didn't want to hijack the thread about the strength of Carbon, but reading it reminded me that many of us on this board ride with carbon steerers, and even more ride with chris king headsets. That said, should everyone riding this combination of equipment be as scared of steerer failure (due to the CK headset scoring the carbon steerer)?

I've read online (the most reliably unreliable source) that a cane creek fixes whatever problem a chris king creates. Is this also true?

Also, because I've never done so before, and because I can, I'm making a poll. Feel free to participate.

benb
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
No problems so far.. I've been doing this since 2007.

Now I'm going to want to check it. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes:

akelman
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
You need another option in your poll: "I have no idea if it's a serious concern, but I'm too lazy to replace the headsets on all of my bikes. So that's that. I'll let you know if I die when my CK headset sheers the carbon fork steerer on my Ottrott while I'm descending this weekend."

akelman
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I mean, maybe that's not an answer that's broadly applicable, but I bet more than one person would select it.

T-Crush
03-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I've run pretty much nothing but CK headsets for a long time now, and have had a couple score steerer tubes (both 1 inch and 1.125). What I discovered was the fit between steerer and the ID of the cups is pretty cozy, and if you are reinstalling the cups from a prior installation, it's a real good idea to make sure the tool used to tap out the cup didn't raise a burr on the ID. I've had two that had showed this and it corresponded to the score mark on the steerer tube in both cases. If it happens, a little work with a dremel and all is right again.

Now my question is how deep of a score is too deep of a score? Is the fork better off in the dumpster or can it be repaired? I guess worst case is it could be cut down at or just below the score mark and used on a smaller frame.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Didn't want to hijack the thread about the strength of Carbon, but reading it reminded me that many of us on this board ride with carbon steerers, and even more ride with chris king headsets. That said, should everyone riding this combination of equipment be as scared of steerer failure (due to the CK headset scoring the carbon steerer)?

I've read online (the most reliably unreliable source) that a cane creek fixes whatever problem a chris king creates. Is this also true?

Also, because I've never done so before, and because I can, I'm making a poll. Feel free to participate.

Sold HUNDREDS of CK headsets, most on carbon steerers. Have seen ZERO problems, zipp, nada, zilch...non problem.

biker72
03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
You need another option in your poll: "I have no idea if it's a serious concern, but I'm too lazy to replace the headsets on all of my bikes. So that's that. I'll let you know if I die when my CK headset sheers the carbon fork steerer on my Ottrott while I'm descending this weekend."

Option 3 for me too. I have no clue.

steampunk
03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
first i heard about this so i suppose ignorance is bliss.

that being said i've always spec'd CK headsets and have had zero problems over the years so i will stay with what i know works and not worry about it.

skijoring
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
New CK headsets now use the split ring design instead of the O ring. FYI.

The Diacompe/Cane Creek use license ran out in 2010, I believe.

Dlevy05
03-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Damn! It looks like I blew it. I didn't want to include a third option, because I feared that's what most would have picked. I based that on the fact that I'm going to run my CK headset until my 1" carbon steerer breaks, because 'if I can't see it, it isn't there!'

Nevertheless, the prospect of a breakage does scare me, quite a bit. I'm still getting used to the idea of riding such a delicate machine...

Nil Else
03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I knew there was another reason besides not being Italian I didn't wanna put King HS on my nags. Either way, it happens, none of my carbon steerer bikes have King HS... phew. :D

jonnyBgood
03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
WOW! Never heard of the issue either and I have worked in a shop for years. We have sold a ton of bikes and installed a lot of Chris King headsets with carbon forks with no issues. Hhuummm!

I have three bikes with Chris King headset and carbon forks and no issues.