PDA

View Full Version : OT: Backpacking in Spain

Dlevy05
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm going to wind up in Spain this summer, around May or June. I don't yet know for how long, but my trip will be anywhere between 1 and 4 weeks long. I'll most likely be flying in and out of Madrid, and using that city as a 'base' while I explore from there. I have never been there before, and I'll be on a budget, to say the least.

Any ideas as to some good backpacking trips, or resources to help me plan my way?

A few google searches didn't turn up very much, and as of now, my plan is to just wing-it, although it would be great if I could formulate anything more concrete before I leave. A trip that crossed my mind was walking from Madrid to Barcelona. I don't know if that's feasible or even a nice journey, although I can either go inland, or along the coast... which affords some variety. Anyway, at this point I feel like I'm just going in circles looking over maps and web sites of tourism groups (which I don't want to be a part of). For what it's worth, the summer heat doesn't fade me, and I've got the stamina of a camel.

Taking all the above into consideration, any info pointing me towards good backpacking routes, 'must see' destinations, economic methods of transportation, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

ultraman6970
03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
1st, get a Canadian flag and put it in your back pack. And don't tell you are american. Spaniards can't tell a difference between a Scottish and Irish or a Texan in the accent. Sadly it is a thing of foreign policies that sort of screw up the thing for americans with the spanish public opinion.

Learn some spanish, some do speak english but who knows what you will find, so play safe and learn some spanish.

In Barcelona the official tongue is called "Catalan," that sounds like a mix of french/portuguese and spanish. People in Barcelona will speak their tonge, not spanish so be prepared for that. Obviously they do speak spanish too.

Hope you speak french, just in case.

Spanish girls are HOT <-- sure u wanted to know this.

Do not eat too much and do not drink too much ok? Good food and good wine but all in moderation.

If you can hook up with another tourists group doing backpacking as you do, just go with them, sometimes is the best thing to do because they are coming back or know somebody...

Have fun my friend, lucky you :)

ps: don't forget the condoms. :P

Dlevy05
03-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Thank you ultraman, for your kind words of wisdom.

I'm sure I will have the fortunate opportunity to use each piece of knowledge you have bestowed upon me, when the time is right. It seems lessons like these are only learned the hard way...

ultraman6970
03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I have a few friends in madrid and actually one is cyclist... are u taking the bike or something?

ultraman6970
03-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Thank you ultraman, for your kind words of wisdom.

I'm sure I will have the fortunate opportunity to use each piece of knowledge you have bestowed upon me, when the time is right. It seems lessons like these are only learned the hard way...

You will have a great time up there, specially the food. Don't forget to ask for "pan con tomate" (bread with tomatoes), that is the typical thing you will find in pubs. Cheese, ham, turron... etc :)

Its your 1st trip overseas??

schwa86
03-22-2011, 02:54 PM
My wife and I did some hiking on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees (nice, high, a bit "trafficed") and some more hiking in the Picos de Europa (north coast of Spain) -- less high but more remote. The region there (Asturias and Cantabria) have strong celtic influences. We did a little driving as well, so after the hiking went to Salamanca for a couple of days -- a beautiful city with really lively nightlife, maybe a bit student-y (I don't mind that but you might...)

If you google, you should find some stuff.

There are definitely huts etc in both regions for accomodations. If you don't mind day-hikes in and out, there are also some very scenic mountain villages, with small inexpensive inns and great rustic food.

Dlevy05
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Nope, I've traveled in Switzerland and Israel extensively. I am a bit bummed about not having a few months, because I do enjoy studying the culture, people, and way of life, when I travel - but, I'll be making the best of my time, no matter what.

I have a good friend in Madrid who I'll be staying with. I'll have a great guide for that region, although I'm not sure if he can do much for me outside of that.

At this point I'm thinking of doing two or three mini trips from Madrid, maybe one to Oviedo, one to Granada, and one to Barcelona. I'd hike/backapck around each for a few days, maybe winding up in another beautiful city nearby, and heading back to Madrid. Geographically that covers a lot, but the locales themselves are pretty arbitrary, and I don't know much about what they have to offer over other places.

bronk
03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
The direct route between Madrid and Barcelona is not exciting. I would encourage you to route through andalucia -- south of madrid toward the med. btw you will do well as a camel -- most of spain is a desert.

ultraman6970
03-22-2011, 04:18 PM
I envy you :)

MadRocketSci
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
If you are serious about walking then you might want to consider the Camino de Santiago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James)

haven't done it myself.

otherwise, i would recommend places like San Sebastian, Granada, Barcelona, and Ibiza (to get your freak on). Get used to sleeping during the day, spaniards come out at night (dinner at 10-11pm). Skip the paella unless you're in Valencia or Barcelona, the rest is mostly tourist crap made in a giant wok.

while you're there ponder the mystery of what happens to the rest of the pig after they remove the hind legs for jamon serrano.

yes spanish women are hot...though they also sport a 'tude....

DogpawSlim
03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I did a similar thing a few years ago; used Madrid as a sort of home base and launched trips from there. That happened accidentally, and I probably wouldn't recommend it as it adds a lot of unnecessary travel time.

I would recommend going from Madrid to Sevilla to Barcelona, with stops at interesting destinations; Toledo and Granada specifically. However, I would recommend trains, as opposed to walking. Not that walking wouldn't be awesome, but you'd get tired of the fields pretty soon. Train travel in Europe is cheap and efficient, as I'm sure you know.

You could easily spend a month doing that small loop. And I wouldn't spend any less time doing it if I had the choice.