PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mentoring in the workplace.

Germany_chris
03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
I am writing a paper with the thesis that mentoring for entry level employees is the biggest contributor to employee satisfaction. I believe it alleviates the "it's a jungle out there" syndrome. The mentor also gives an employee a sounding board that they would not normally have for their ideas, because we all know that fresh graduates are going to change the word and in some cases they might.

Opinons folks?

Chris

AngryScientist
03-21-2011, 12:51 PM
i would agree, and it's my opinion that a company that promotes the idea of "informal" mentoring is best. fostering an enviroment where junior employees can easily cooperate with seasoned veterans, and learn from them in an open atmosphere is where its at.

formal mentoring programs often seem forced and unproductive (in my experience), whereas promoting the idea of "everyday mentoring" and a true open-door policy appears to have the upper hand in helping the junior employees feel more at home, and learn from the collective knowledge more quickly. formal mentoring programs on the other hand, if not implemented well can be narrow minded, strapping the blinders on the younger crowd type of thing. worst case, it can stifle creativity and learning with the "my way or the highway" approach of a single bad mentor.

mentoring should be more about a workplace environment than an implemented program IMO.

i've worked in several places where there were and are good and bad programs and practices, the right environment from the start makes all the difference.

JMerring
03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
i completely disagree with the notion that mentoring is the single biggest contributor to employee satisfaction. i think mentoring is key for professional development/advancement/success, but i think the single biggest factor in employee satisfaction is doing a job that is meaningful to the employee in question. i speak from experience but others' mileage may, of course, differ.

Germany_chris
03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree with this statement, but I think that one of the jobs of a mentor is to show the employee their value and what they bring to the organization.

I guess a I should probably give a little background on me. I started working selling auto parts, I worked my way through the organization until I was an outside sales rep then I joined the army. I got out of the army and now work in operations for the army, I am doing what I was born to do. The army is a very people centric organization more so in my opinion than the other services. What i took the round about way of saying is I have very little real world corporate experience. My experience is "my check depends on my sales for the month" to "I can't do this alone if we want to get out of here alive I need these guys"

Chris

i completely disagree with the notion that mentoring is the single biggest contributor in employee satisfaction. i think mentoring is key for professional development/advancement/success, but i think the single biggest factor in employee satisfaction is doing a job that is meaningful to the employee in question. i speak from experience but others' mileage may, of course, differ.

eddief
03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
as a career counselor and careerist myself, i have come to find that we each have a career map made up of many variables; money, status, recognition, contribution, balance, free time, teamwork, not teamwork, etc, etc, etc.

i can imagine quite a few of the people i have worked with did not have a personality type that would have them appreciate being the mentee in a mentor relationship.

now a good employer could have done research to suggest a mentoring culture makes for a more productive and harmonious workplace and then go on to hire those who would best fit into that...and select those who are enthusiastic about or want to learn about mentoring.

i think there is danger in assuming mentoring will make all or most feel good and create success.

a couple of questions might be does an employee benefit most when mentored by someone other than the manager? what would management be like that integrated managing, mentoring, and coaching for success?

JMerring
03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I agree with this statement, but I think that one of the jobs of a mentor is to show the employee their value and what they bring to the organization.

I guess a I should probably give a little background on me. I started working selling auto parts, I worked my way through the organization until I was an outside sales rep then I joined the army. I got out of the army and now work in operations for the army, I am doing what I was born to do. The army is a very people centric organization more so in my opinion than the other services. What i took the round about way of saying is I have very little real world corporate experience. My experience is "my check depends on my sales for the month" to "I can't do this alone if we want to get out of here alive I need these guys"

Chris

understood. i think we/you need to distinguish between being satisfied and being successful, for the two can be mutually exclusive. inasmuch as you're trying to find a correlation between success and mentoring, i'd agree. however, if the question becomes "are you happy/satisfied?", then the answer is different.

take me: i work at a job which i do well, at which i have 'succeeded' and during the course of which i have been mentored; however, for me the job is completely meaningless, as a result of which i have to say that i hate it and therefore it is a job from which i derive little 'satisfaction.'

Germany_chris
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Is the job meaningless or is the outcome of the work meaningless. If I remember right Kurt Vonnegut worked in factories, it helped his creativity to do repetitive tasks. The outcome of the labor was meaningless but the value of the time spent thinking and creating was priceless.

Chris

understood. i think we/you need to distinguish between being satisfied and being successful, for the two can be mutually exclusive. inasmuch as you're trying to find a correlation between success and mentoring, i'd agree. however, if the question becomes "are you happy/satisfied?", then the answer is different.

take me: i work at a job which i do well, at which i have 'succeeded' and during the course of which i have been mentored; however, for me the job is completely meaningless, as a result of which i have to say that i hate it and therefore it is a job from which i derive little 'satisfaction.'

jaykosta
03-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Chris,

First about me...
age 62, retired from major Fortune 500 company, hired out of college into a technical geek type profession.

I agree that some form of mentoring can be very useful - especially to help new employees know what is required for them to advance in their career. And to help them know what actions to take in order for advancement. Understanding 'office politics', organizational goals at levels up-the-ladder, how to be enough of a people-person to make good impressions, gather support & backing, not unknowingly 'step on toes', etc.

Also when asked to do new tasks that are outside of the person's skill level, having someone to explain what is really expected for this new task - managers/supervisors might not realize that the employee doesn't know this 'basic information'.

Having a 'good' long-term mentor could work, but I think it is also important for the employee to know (and appreciate the value) that he can discuss items like this with other co-workers and managers.

An important item is for the employee to acknowledge the value that mentoring can provide.

Jay Kosta

Germany_chris
03-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Sir,

You just nicely summed up the bulk of a 300 page book I just read called First Rung: From New Recruit to High Flyer. That is the value of a mentor!!

Chris

Chris,

First about me...
age 62, retired from major Fortune 500 company, hired out of college into a technical geek type profession.

I agree that some form of mentoring can be very useful - especially to help new employees know what is required for them to advance in their career. And to help them know what actions to take in order for advancement. Understanding 'office politics', organizational goals at levels up-the-ladder, how to be enough of a people-person to make good impressions, gather support & backing, not unknowingly 'step on toes', etc.

Also when asked to do new tasks that are outside of the person's skill level, having someone to explain what is really expected for this new task - managers/supervisors might not realize that the employee doesn't know this 'basic information'.

Having a 'good' long-term mentor could work, but I think it is also important for the employee to know (and appreciate the value) that he can discuss items like this with other co-workers and managers.

An important item is for the employee to acknowledge the value that mentoring can provide.

Jay Kosta

BobbyJones
03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Let's talk about the difference between a mentor (as defined in today's corporate culture) vs. the role of a good manager.

Quite frankly, my last experience with a formal mentoring program was nothing more than a HR feel good exercise and an excuse to burn up T&E dollars on lunches. This was at a global company that was the biggest in the world at what it did.

However, I happened to have a very open & forward department head who was very enthusiastic about educating employees in the course of their daily tasks and encouraging advancement & communication. Ended up being a better "mentor" than I've ever experienced in a formal mentoring program.

Is there really a need for "mentoring" programs or just a need for better bosses to act as mentors?

54ny77
03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
My wife mentors high school kids every summer by having an intern program for 1 or 2 of 'em at her store. It's been going on for a few years now.

It's been a lot of fun for her and a success for those young adults. As someone who's spent a lot of time in the corporate world at a pretty high level, she gives them lots of great advice and real work experience: customer service, deadlines, multitasking, and other life skills. To some young adults those things are like learning an entirely new language. As the years move on (assuming the program continues), it'll be fun to hear what they do in their college and post-college careers. Some have even come back to work during their college breaks and remained in touch, which is nice to see.

There's dignity and responsibility in every single task, no matter how seemingly insignificant. At least that's what I tell myself when I get called in on weekends to change lightbulbs and take out trash... :p

Germany_chris
03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
I agree a good manager or leader can be a good mentor (teacher) but I think it's a bad idea in general to have your direct supervisor be you mentor. I also think good managers are hard to find according to what I hear. Where does the supervisor end and mentor begin? Ideally in the books at least your mentor is and "executive" some one who can steer your career etc. I don't think mentors can be "assigned" there needs to be a professional relationship there where each bring something of value to the other person sort of like a generals aide de camp.

Chris

Let's talk about the difference between a mentor (as defined in today's corporate culture) vs. the role of a good manager.

Quite frankly, my last experience with a formal mentoring program was nothing more than a HR feel good exercise and an excuse to burn up T&E dollars on lunches. This was at a global company that was the biggest in the world at what it did.

However, I happened to have a very open & forward department head who was very enthusiastic about educating employees in the course of their daily tasks and encouraging advancement & communication. Ended up being a better "mentor" than I've ever experienced in a formal mentoring program.

Is there really a need for "mentoring" programs or just a need for better bosses to act as mentors?

Germany_chris
03-21-2011, 04:07 PM
That was another premise. I think women react better to a mentoring scenario than men do.

Remember in Viharas the most senior monks do the menial tasks :D

My wife mentors high school kids every summer by having an intern program for 1 or 2 of 'em at her store. It's been going on for a few years now.

It's been a lot of fun for her and a success for those young adults. As someone who's spent a lot of time in the corporate world at a pretty high level, she gives them lots of great advice and real work experience: customer service, deadlines, multitasking, and other life skills. To some young adults those things are like learning an entirely new language. As the years move on (assuming the program continues), it'll be fun to hear what they do in their college and post-college careers. Some have even come back to work during their college breaks and remained in touch, which is nice to see.

There's dignity and responsibility in every single task, no matter how seemingly insignificant. At least that's what I tell myself when I get called in on weekends to change lightbulbs and take out trash... :p

BobbyJones
03-21-2011, 04:35 PM
I agree a good manager or leader can be a good mentor (teacher) but I think it's a bad idea in general to have your direct supervisor be you mentor. I also think good managers are hard to find according to what I hear. Where does the supervisor end and mentor begin? Ideally in the books at least your mentor is and "executive" some one who can steer your career etc. I don't think mentors can be "assigned" there needs to be a professional relationship there where each bring something of value to the other person sort of like a generals aide de camp.

Chris

I'm curious as to why you feel your direct supervisor shouldn't act as your mentor? And what do you consider "executive"? Don't "executives" manage and supervise as well?

And lets say in a smaller situation, lets say tradesman / apprentice scenario do you feel the whole textbook version of mentoring not applicable?

Pete Serotta
03-21-2011, 06:11 PM
single answer are+++
industry,
type job,
country culture (Japan, India, China, US, Germany, Italy all have a somewhat different work culture.
Quantified measure of what is success

First question 1, What is the purpose (quantified and measurable) of the mentoring for that person, and career. (differ view based on above)

Formalization of mentoring purpose....

Is mentoring a job enhancer for the person or company.....

IN USA, mentoring has changed drastically over the years for large corporatiions. Many view employees not long term (unless they are among the few identified as future management.

The focus on the quarterly bottom line of many publicly traded corporations minimizes the career growth of many and to advance many must move to other corporations.

IBM is a good example of how employee management has changed. Layoffs come every year now and new hires also come every year. "Skill refreshment" and cheaper employees are high on the priority list of many public companies and even Universities.

Also the work force, because of changes in the world for opportunity must understand communications via networks and travel, and the large degree of contractors and outsourcing that make mentoring available to a "select" few here in the US.

There are plenty of opportunities but one must always focus on keeping their skills and knowledge current with the world economy and the industry they wish to be in. now and in the future.

Education is key to future career growth. :banana: :beer: The last few years in the US has seen manufacturing folks really take a hit with employment. Germany has done an excellent job in manufacturing thru quality, technological advance, and focusing on deliverables for world growth. Cost of deliverable is an ingredient but it can not be the single ingredient for "lowest cost" is not a panacea for market growth, unless you are in a developing country in far east.

Brian Smith
03-21-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm curious as to why you feel your direct supervisor shouldn't act as your mentor? And what do you consider "executive"? Don't "executives" manage and supervise as well?

And lets say in a smaller situation, lets say tradesman / apprentice scenario do you feel the whole textbook version of mentoring not applicable?

While I'm interested to hear what a more academically derived opinion might be, my experience shows that there can be direct conflict between developing the most "career" out of an employee and deriving the most "production" out of an employee.

I take exception to the notion that a tradesman/apprentice scenario is smaller, especially since even only by sheer volume the tradesman/apprentice scenario stands to have greater impact than the more "executive" case.

Brian Smith
03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Is mentoring a job enhancer for the person or company.....

Pete, I know what you mean there...

IBM is a good example of how employee management has changed. Layoffs come every year now and new hires also come every year. "Skill refreshment" and cheaper employees are high on the priority list of many public companies and even Universities.

Possibly even more so in higher education, in some cases.
Insofar as higher education has replaced and/or become trade school, how better to pass on proper culture and expectations to students than from a higher education employee who has moved from institution to institution to reach their advanced position?
Institutions have boards chosen from industries outside their own in order to guide their survival, not strictly for the institution's preservation. The policy follows.

R2D2
03-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Random thoughts on mentoring:
.Pete's makes great points. Additonally in high tech arenas in the USA usually senior/highly skilled employee's are way over booked. The work load has progressively gotten larger as expenses are cut to the bone to enchance short term profits for share holders. Not a very original business plan but one that simple accounting practices show will provide more profit for the current staus quo. Not a great way to innovate and grow. So there's no real time to mentor. So if their is any mentoring at all, it is done on a personal/friendship basis as it not funded nor rewared in this current business climate.
Current corporate climates, IMHO, do not foster enviroments to encourage mentoring. Sure there's the obligatory hours provided and guided by HR for training. But those are usualy there to have employees take a multiple choice interactive quiz on the latest policy change. There is no real budget to have "homegrown" skill sets improved , as the feeling is they can always be bought off the street ( or offshore) for a cheaper price. Nor is there any advantage to teach/help someone that may be directly/indirectly competing for your position.
.There are early mentoring avenues a student can pursue such as a Co-Op programs ( alternates university semesters with actual work place experience). Connects students with companies that actually value their skill and more importantly their desire to work in a particular industry.

Anway if you are mentored by someone, they are usually doing you a huge favor. Respect that as the great oppurtunity it is and soak it up like a sponge. Also all orgainzations at some point involve interpersonnel politics and that mentoring is invaluable. Just learning nothing more than to NEVER do this or that can be priceless.

Anyway hope there's some info you can use Chris.:beer:

Germany_chris
03-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Thank you all..I am reading your advice, as I read books. It really is quite easy to fall into a text book utopia. Like I said before I really have no real world experience in this as the bulk of my working life has been for the military wich is a different world entirely.

@ Pete- at what point do you think you have "enough education" that question only stands if you are refering to fomal education vs. learning new things or improving a system you are profficient at. On a side note Germany has mre issues than you believe with current manufactuing culture.

@ BobbyJones- I used the term executive as a blanket term vs techinical. I think/what I'm reading is the mentor should probably be 2 to 3 levels above your current station. Is the tradesmen apprentice relationship a metor relationship or a teacher student relationship?

@BrianSmith- I'm looking for emplyee satisfaction (Maslow) ideally a satisfied employee is more motivated and has a better attitude that should spell more productive correct?

@R2D2- While I agree the mentor is doing a huge favor for the mentee, the mentee is brining somthing to the relationship also, if they were not the relationship would not exist right?

The reason for writing this paper in the end is that in my own little way I'm trying to merge what I know of the German work enviroment, the military enviroment, and the little I know of the corporate enviroment and provide a "way forward" even if it never leaves school. The proccess of writing it and researching it may influence my future decisions.

ahumblecycler
03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Background - Masters of Science and Ph.D. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology.

OP - are you conducting research or writing a theory piece? Either case, review the literature - the topic has been the focus of extensive research.

My experience is that individuals are unique and above average leaders recognize that a one-size-fits-all approach does not work.

Germany_chris
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Conducting research and asking opinions..

Mr. John Aldair seem to be the most prolific.

Theres never a one size fits all solution to anything human.

Chris

Background - Masters of Science and Ph.D. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology.

OP - are you conducting research or writing a theory piece? Either case, review the literature - the topic has been the focus of extensive research.

My experience is that individuals are unique and above average leaders recognize that a one-size-fits-all approach does not work.

ahumblecycler
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Sounds interesting ... when you are done, let me know and I would like to read it.

"There's never a one size fits all solution to anything human" ... so true but unfortunately books and journals too often convey a model will work in every situation.

Good luck!

Germany_chris
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I might just do that.

Chris

Sounds interesting ... when you are done, let me know and I would like to read it.

"There's never a one size fits all solution to anything human" ... so true but unfortunately books and journals too often convey a model will work in every situation.

Good luck!

R2D2
03-23-2011, 05:17 AM
@R2D2- While I agree the mentor is doing a huge favor for the mentee, the mentee is brining somthing to the relationship also, if they were not the relationship would not exist right?

Yes they are. They do the leg work under the mentors guidance. It frees up the mentor and provides valuable hands on work for the mentee.