PDA

View Full Version : OT-Allegra

TAW
03-21-2011, 10:26 AM
No, not Ultegra. Anyone use Allegra? Now that you can get it without prescription, I'm wondering about trying it. Allergies are in full swing.

ericspin
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Been using it for several years along with Rhincort Aqua (RX) nose spray. It really works for me. Doesn't _cure_ the issue but sure reduces the seasonal allergy symptoms. I called in my refill the other day and was surprised when the pharmacist reported that the insurance no longer covered it. That's when I found out that it is available OTC now. Guess they have proven to the FDA that the side effects are minimal. Apparently that's the criteria. Anyway, works well for me.

old_fat_and_slow
03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Works well for me.

Not sure if they have a "D" version out or not, but the "D" versions (Claritin and Zyrtec) really help with clearing the sinuses. But these are always behind the pharmacist's counter to keep the meth makers from stocking up all at once.

veloduffer
03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I've used Allegra and Claritin but switched to Zyrtec last year. I found Zyrtec to be a bit more effective at reducing the sneezing, but it's not a cure-all. My allergy season, however, is fairly limited - only about 3-4 weeks in April-May period and probably just oak trees. But I've had this allergy since I was in 3rd grade.

I also can't wear contacts for any extended period during the season. Pollen gets into the lenses and is just really irritable. No drug has helped me with that.

zennmotion
03-21-2011, 10:59 AM
This is really good to know, my asthma kicks in hard just when cyclocross season starts. Nothing like winning a hole shot, then leaning on a course marker trying to breath on lap 2 :help: On a related note, I've had some success with largish doses of Omega 3 fatty acid fish oil supplements to help control seasonal asthma. It was suggested by my MD since I've been hesitant to take steroid based meds. I've taken 2 grams daily (4 gel caps 500mg each EPA+DHA), year round as a preventative and they've really helped during the allergy season to reduce symptoms. Do a little research, and you'll learn that they've gotten a lot of attention for other health issues as well, including anti-cancer and depression. Fish oil supps can only come from non-farmed sources as the Omega 3s originate as the algae food source for the fish rather than fish meal. So if you're taking larger doses you want to avoid the heavy metals that accumulate in fish oils- they should be removed by molecular distillation, check for that in the supplements. I get mine from Trader Joes, as a cheap clean source, and they're odorless, no fishy afterburp. My experience is anecdotal, but worth a try, no risk other than cost. I still have occasional acute symptoms but daily asthma management has been much improved. It took about 6 weeks to notice.

lemondsteel
03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Used it for years. Way better than Claritin for me. I pretty much have to take it year round. Not always everday though! GOOD STUFF!

dekindy
03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
I've used Allegra and Claritin but switched to Zyrtec last year. I found Zyrtec to be a bit more effective at reducing the sneezing, but it's not a cure-all. My allergy season, however, is fairly limited - only about 3-4 weeks in April-May period and probably just oak trees. But I've had this allergy since I was in 3rd grade.

I also can't wear contacts for any extended period during the season. Pollen gets into the lenses and is just really irritable. No drug has helped me with that.

Why don't you go to an allergist and get rid of it once and for all?

tuxbailey
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
I have always used Allegra (prescription) but I switched to Zyrtec last year and it works just as well.

Also, you can't beat the prices for Zyrtec in Costco.