PDA

View Full Version : Modifying an Hors Cat for touring

sam.g
05-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Although the Hors Catagory is an incredibely comfortable and capable long distance bike, it lacks the key features necessary for touring, namely provisions for fenders and more substantial tires, longer chain stays and eyelets for mounting rear/front racks. Since acquiring a NOS CSi last fall, my Hors Cat now only see duty on longer rides of 50 miles or more. Most of the time I just reach for the CSi when I go out for a ride, it just feels right. As such it would be nice to convert my Hors Cat to a full blown touring bike, however the F1 fork lacks clearance for larger tires and fenders which in combination with the low rear brake bridge make this impossible.

So would it be worth while and cost effective to have the Hors Cat sent back to Serotta for these modifications and if so what kind of fork would be best suited?

I've also considered the possibility using the 650B wheel set to pick up additional clearance, could Shimano's R600 long reach brakes be successfully fitted on the current F1 fork and rear brake bridge? I doubt that the F1 fork would have the clearance for the increased tire width, but just having to change fork and not the brake bridge would reduce costs considerably.

Idle rumminations on a rainy Memorial Day in Cincy.

Sam

Too Tall
05-31-2005, 06:41 AM
I'm thinking sell the bike and get a Riv.

Frankwurst
05-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Take Too Talls advice. :beer:

dbrk
05-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Not that it really matters (because I think the cost of converting the HC is prohibitive or, to put it another way, nuts...), I can assure you that "long reach" (57mm) caliper brakes would not reach far enough to touch a 650B rim. You might have some success with Dia-Compe 750 centerpulls but that solves none of your issues. I presume that when you say "touring" you mean day tours with very light loads, such as a handlebar bag or saddle bag, but that said, methinks you have the wrong bike for the job.

Rivendell's All-Arounder or the Ebisu All-Around are, imho, the best value in elegant tourers, and the Riv can carry all but the heaviest loads. The Kogswell P is likely a "tourer" in the sense you suggest and it is the best value perhaps _ever_ in lugged steel bikes of this sort. You can even price down some to the Surly or Soma but at that point I'd buy used and get a better bargain. There a million nice steel bikes that have all the fittings you want that are languishing in garages because they are "heavy" or "retro." 'Tis the best and worst of times for such bicycles.

dbrk

Brian Smith
05-31-2005, 07:30 PM
for...
six-oh-three?

sam.g
05-31-2005, 09:57 PM
I had a feeling that I'd be better off selling the Hors to buy a purpose built tourer, but what's "six-oh-three" and why would I want to wait?

Sam

dave thompson
05-31-2005, 09:58 PM
for...
six-oh-three?
Now that's a cryptic message!

Bradford
05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Loaded touring should be done on touring bikes. You don't want to compromise when you are on your own. If someone is carrying your gear on a tour, then it doesn't matter what you ride.

If you are doing loaded touring, you can't do better than an Independent Fabrications Independence or a Co-Motion Americano (I ride the Independence). Great bikes, reasonable price, and all you will ever want or need in a real touring bike. I've never seen a Bruce Gordon, but I hear great things about his touring bikes also.

If you want a lighter touring bike and are only credit card touring, then try something like a Co-Motion Nor'Wester. And lets not forget Serotta -- I'm sure they still know the geometry for a light touring bike.

Feel like doing something really cool? Moots just introduced a touring bike. I'm not sure how good it is, but I'm guessing Moots did a good job.

dbrk
06-01-2005, 05:46 AM
for...
six-oh-three?

Brian refers to Grant Petersen's interest in the so-called 603 tire. Road tires are 622mm and the 650B is actually 584mm. Between these two resides the 603. The idea is not to introduce yet another tire as such (though why diversity would be a bad thing is ever a mystery to me when those insisting on industry conformity get their shorts in a bunch about "another standard"...anyway...) but rather to create possible conversions that would allow bikes with short reach caliper brakes use fatter tires. It's a noble experiment, as I see it, and typically innovative and thoughtful because rather than introduce yet another bit of the _same_ stuff (more plastic for more money...) it tries to solve a problem: how to get a fatter tire on forks and designs that are inherently limited (but profligate). Obscurium tremendum it is not but sufficiently esoteric to warrant a clarification, no?

dbrk

Sandy
06-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Profligate, obscurium, tremendum in a row. Was I asleep during vocabulary lessons? No wonder I majored in math- more symbols, less words.

Your knowledge and vocabulary humble me, dbrk.

Back to the dictionary,

Slow (in more ways than one) Sandy

Brian Smith
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Brian refers to Grant Petersen's interest in the so-called 603 tire. Road tires are 622mm and the 650B is actually 584mm. Between these two resides the 603. It's a noble experiment, as I see it, and typically innovative and thoughtful because rather than introduce yet another bit of the _same_ stuff (more plastic for more money...) it tries to solve a problem: how to get a fatter tire on forks and designs that are inherently limited (but profligate). Obscurium tremendum it is not but sufficiently esoteric to warrant a clarification, no?

dbrk

Clarification warranted, and amply provided, thanks dbrk.
I didn't have the chance to respond, I'm glad that you did.
As good as purpose-built "fatter tire" framesets can be, it seems that 603s would be great way
to sample something significantly fatter than "23s" without actually having to commit and pay, Also, for those who just can't imagine intentionally breaking the 4lb frame barrier or 600g fork barrier, they can have "them both" by applying 603s and brakes. Sounds worthy of a contribution to me.

-Brian Smith

rePhil
06-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Take a hard look at Bruce Gordon. He builds the complete package, racks and all. His prices are good, and the wait is short if at all.

David Kirk
06-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey Sam,

I think I feel the same as some of the others...........I wouldn't mess with the Hors.

I think it would be best to sell the Hors and have a touring bike built. You should be able to get a good dollar for the Hors.........folks seem to like them things.

All the best,

Dave

Smiley
06-01-2005, 08:20 PM
I think it would be best to sell the Hors and have a touring bike built. You should be able to get a good dollar for the Hors.........folks seem to like them things.

sacreligious :banana:

keep the Hors and buy another bike

SoCalSteve
06-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I would think the "inventor" of the HC would know a thing or two about them.

As for selling or keeping, I havent a clue what your financial staus is, but, I sold an HC many years ago and was jones'en for one ever since. I scoured all the likely sources and one day (not too long ago) one came up in my size and I jumped at it. Had I waited a day, I am sure someone else on this board or else where would have snatched it up. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.....

Moral is: There were only about 600 of them made...and, they are a sweet bike. Have never came close to finding a bike that descends like an HC.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Steve

sam.g
06-01-2005, 09:42 PM
I happen to really like my Hors Cat and find it an excellent non-fatiguing long distance platform. Fenders and fatter tires would just take it to another level. It seems that most purpose built tourers are designed for unsupported touring, my main interest is supported or "credit card" touring. If I ever decide to part with it, I know where to post the for sale sign but for now I'll just get used to a stripe up my back on wet days.

Sam

Bradford
06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I think it would be best to sell the Hors and have a touring bike built.

I did a short 3 day tour last year, about 250 miles to a friend's wedding. As I was riding the second day, I was wondering how well a Terraplane rear would work on a full touring bike. I'm not sure how you would anchor the rack so that it didn't counteract the movement of the Terraplane, but it sure seemed like a good idea at the time. (Those of you who have toured alone know that there is a lot of time to think of silly things).

Just think, all the advantages of a real touring bike but with a softer rear to take the sting out of those long days. (I know, I know, the Terraplane wasn't designed for comfort, it was designed to keep the rear wheel on the ground; but doesn't it make the bike more comfortable?)

I wonder where we could find a guy to build a bike like that? Hmmmm... Too bad I already have a touring bike and can't justify a new one, that sounds like a bike I'd like to have.

palincss
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I happen to really like my Hors Cat and find it an excellent non-fatiguing long distance platform. Fenders and fatter tires would just take it to another level. It seems that most purpose built tourers are designed for unsupported touring, my main interest is supported or "credit card" touring. If I ever decide to part with it, I know where to post the for sale sign but for now I'll just get used to a stripe up my back on wet days.

Sam

I am truly surprised nobody has mentioned Serotta's own late, lamented offering in the credit card touring area, the Rapid Tour.