PDA

View Full Version : clincher alternative to ambrosio nemesis rims?

hankchong
03-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Any suggestions for a clincher alternative to Ambrosio Nemesis rims? I really like the aesthetics, but prefer a clincher for my needs.

Louis
03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Would an Open Pro fit the bill?

hankchong
03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm looking for something with a lower profile and with more of a box section than an Open Pro. I also like the dark grey anodization of the Nemesis. My current build is Open Pro CD hoops with Record hubs. I tend to be hard on wheels. My weight ranges from 180lbs to upwards of 260lbs (trying to stay sub-200lbs until spring arrives this year), and I tend to ride the "path less taken" which has resulted in walks of shame back to the LBS twice already, when the rear wheel went far out of true. Looking for something durable and simple looking. Thanks for your input.

mschol17
03-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Ambrosio Excellence or Torelli Master.

The new H+ Son TB14 rim looks like it's an exact copy, but I'm not sure if it's out yet.

TMB
03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Ambrosia Excellight SSC

Lovely riding rims and they build up into a beautiful wheel.

Steve in SLO
03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Salsa Delgados might also be a good choice. A bit heavy but bombproof.

AngryScientist
03-21-2011, 05:06 AM
My weight ranges from 180lbs to upwards of 260lbs.
:eek: thats a huge swing!

I agree on another ambrosia wheel, the excellight being a nice option:

http://www.benmanson.com/Photos/ForSale/july10/IMG_1948.jpg

oldpotatoe
03-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Any suggestions for a clincher alternative to Ambrosio Nemesis rims? I really like the aesthetics, but prefer a clincher for my needs.

DT465

hankchong
03-21-2011, 07:20 AM
:eek: thats a huge swing!

I've been working on trying to maintain a more consistent weight. The weight gains tend to be gradual, having exceeded 250lbs twice in the past 15 years. The first time I reached 260lbs, I blew out my right knee, which precipitated a rehab program that evolved into a regular workout schedule. The second time, my weight ballooned followed my stint at a desk job. I never knew such a sedentary lifestyle--so many hours spent on my keyster tapping on a keyboard. Because of the time crunch, I had to learn to modify my eating habits (I've spent my life eating like a pig at a trough) in order to manage my weight, as there just wasn't enough time to put in the kind of workouts I wanted. It's still a work in progress... still learning. These winters in New England don't help...

Thanks for all the rim recommendations.

AngryScientist
03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
I've been working on trying to maintain a more consistent weight. The weight gains tend to be gradual, having exceeded 250lbs twice in the past 15 years. The first time I reached 260lbs, I blew out my right knee, which precipitated a rehab program that evolved into a regular workout schedule. The second time, my weight ballooned followed my stint at a desk job. I never knew such a sedentary lifestyle--so many hours spent on my keyster tapping on a keyboard. Because of the time crunch, I had to learn to modify my eating habits (I've spent my life eating like a pig at a trough) in order to manage my weight, as there just wasn't enough time to put in the kind of workouts I wanted. It's still a work in progress... still learning. These winters in New England don't help...

Thanks for all the rim recommendations.

while my weight has always been fairly stable, i can fully understand your situation. i'm a desk jockey myself, and have a pretty long commute both ways. it's tough to balance it all out and stay on top of what's really important - our health and happiness, often these things fall by they wayside. this year i'm trying to make a concerted effort to branch out more, whether that means a long walk at lunch, pleasant evening rides, or just taking more fresh air breaks (anti-smoking breaks?) to get out of my desk chair during the day. it's not easy, but really, life is for living, and good health is a foundation for everything else. keep up the good work, and dont overthink the rim, the choices here have been good ones. :beer:

mschol17
03-21-2011, 07:53 AM
H+SON (http://blog.hplusson.com/?p=1043)

AngryScientist
03-21-2011, 08:04 AM

mmm, those are nice.

phcollard
03-21-2011, 08:09 AM

Cool indeed but where can we get those? Cheers!

MIN
03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Sun CR18 rims are incredibly cheap, with a classic low profile. I run them on my fixed gear (36 spoke) and they ride and brake well.

hankchong
03-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the words of support, AngrySci.

Those H plus Son rims do look like dead ringers for the Nemesis--exactly what I was looking for. The weblink says they'll be available starting today. Guess it's a waiting game until they trickle through the system, and people start providing feedback about their durability and ride quality. Hope they ride as well as they look.

The Sun CR18's look like a good workhorse alternative. I've got a rain bike that could benefit from a pair of them.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

texbike
03-21-2011, 09:05 AM

490 grams??? That seems like a tank of a rim given that it has such a low profile!

Texbike

bfd
03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Velocity rims! The aerohead are light (405g +/- 10g), reasonably priced ($45-55 each depending on where you shop) and you can get an off-set rear wheel for greater strength.

If aerohead are too light, there are a number of other rims too! Something to consider. Good Luck!

steampunk
03-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Ambrosia Excellight SSC

Lovely riding rims and they build up into a beautiful wheel.

absolutely agree with this. hardcore euro stuff.

maunahaole
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
I think that you are too heavy for the Excellight. Stick with the Excellence, especially if you like to bash them around. A light rim is going to be too flexy, both laterally and vertically. You will feel the difference in the feel of the driveline if you go with a stronger rim and build.

cp43
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Sun CR18 rims are incredibly cheap, with a classic low profile. I run them on my fixed gear (36 spoke) and they ride and brake well.

+1 for the CR18. I've been running one on my commuter for the last couple years, no problems.

I think they're only available in silver though.

Chris

merckx
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Are you interested in the aesthetic or performance? If performance, then go with a pair of HED C2 rims. The ride will approach a tub if not over inflated. If aesthetic, find a pair of NOS Mavic MA40's.

Scott Shire
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Araya RC-540 (http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/shopexd.asp?id=175&bc=no)
36h 415g

Also love whatever DT Swiss calls the RR 1.1 these days.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Araya RC-540 (http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/shopexd.asp?id=175&bc=no)
36h 415g

Also love whatever DT Swiss calls the RR 1.1 these days.

DT 465(double eyelet) and DT 415(single eyelet/28 and 32h)..DT are by far the very best rims I build with these days..SO round/flat when new-really excellent. It's like centering the hub when you build with them..DT 585 is a great beefy rim and the DT 450 a great inexpensive rim far better than the mavic OpenSport.

Velocity are nice but lighter generally and not as consistent. Like the AH(OC), Escape, A23 and Major Tom. Deep V also-

I have a few Ambrosio, Excellence, really nice rims...

Also build a few Sun..pretty soft, make a decent wheel if enough spokes. Not surprised they are so cheap.

Mavic a distant last. OpenPros seem to be getting worse, wedge and noisy eyelet wise. CXP-33 aren't bad but ya think they would either make better rims or stop alltogether in favor of wheels. I use these for 36h since DT doesn't make ANY 36h..

oldpotatoe
03-22-2011, 09:53 AM

I have Ambrosio Excellence, black, 32h, new for $85 per.

rePhil
03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I have a pair of Excellence / Record wheels that Peter / OP built many years, and many k's ago. Still straight and true.

Peter, given a choice would you recomment the DT's or Excellence?

goonster
03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Peter, what would you recommend for a 36-hole rim (which the OP would surely be well-advised to ride).

hankchong
03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I have Ambrosio Excellence, black, 32h, new for $85 per.

Thanks for the offer, Peter. I'm intrigued by the new H plus Son offering. Shamefully, it's more about style than substance, but I'm interested in hearing feedback about the rims as people have a chance to use them. Have you heard any pre-release feedback about them (I'm assuming they were pre-tested before release)?

Scott Shire
03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Probably the wrong forum for H+Son reviews. Try PDXfixed, or tricktrack. Lots of stuff on this new rim, as well as their older products (formation face + SL42, deep section AL rims without & with machined braking surfaces respectively).

In my experience, the Formation Face rims, although lighter, lag behind Velocity's B43 - significantly - in quality. H+Son doesn't have the customer service Velocity does, either. Not that they were bad by any means, just a tad rough in terms of fit and finish. I don't know if this holds true for the box sectino rim.

If it's a looks thing, what look? Do they have to say "Ambrosio"? Do they have to be black, without a silver machined sidewall? Do they have to be extraordinarily shallow (like me :D )? Do you want them to look like tubulars?

hankchong
03-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Probably the wrong forum for H+Son reviews. Try PDXfixed, or tricktrack. Lots of stuff on this new rim, as well as their older products (formation face + SL42, deep section AL rims without & with machined braking surfaces respectively).

In my experience, the Formation Face rims, although lighter, lag behind Velocity's B43 - significantly - in quality. H+Son doesn't have the customer service Velocity does, either. Not that they were bad by any means, just a tad rough in terms of fit and finish. I don't know if this holds true for the box sectino rim.

If it's a looks thing, what look? Do they have to say "Ambrosio"? Do they have to be black, without a silver machined sidewall? Do they have to be extraordinarily shallow (like me :D )? Do you want them to look like tubulars?

I didn't mean to elicit reviews from the forum in particular. I wanted to wait for feedback more broadly from the cycling community as people get a chance to build up and ride the rims (the rims became publicly available yesterday).

With regards to aesthetics, I like the low profile and dark anodization with non-machined sidewalls. The fewer decals, the better.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2011, 06:38 AM
I have a pair of Excellence / Record wheels that Peter / OP built many years, and many k's ago. Still straight and true.

DT. The only thing I don't like about DT is lack of 36h road rims and no tubular.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Peter, what would you recommend for a 36-hole rim (which the OP would surely be well-advised to ride).

Mavic CXP-33 probably. Velocity Fusion. Mavoc OpenPro will do fine with the understanding it may need the wedge 'fix' and some frequent lubing of the nipp/eyelet interface(i use boiled lindseed oil there).

phcollard
03-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Mavoc OpenPro will do fine with the understanding it may need the wedge 'fix' and some frequent lubing of the nipp/eyelet interface(i use boiled lindseed oil there).

Peter, no mean to hijack this thread but what's the "wedge fix" for Open Pros? I have a pair that I intended to build but now that I read you I really have second thoughts about the Mavics!

goonster
03-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Mavic CXP-33 probably. Velocity Fusion. Mavoc OpenPro
These are all preferable to the Excellence or Excellight? (which are both available in 36h, afaik)

goonster
05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
FYI, my LBS just told me that MAVIC told him that the CXP-33 is no longer being produced in silver. Boo!