PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Foreign Bicycle Tour?

Hard Fit
03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
What is your favorite bicycle tour run by a commercial outfit outside the United States? I am looking for a week-long cycling vacation where the tour stays in hotels. I'm looking to bicycle at least 50+ miles per day. Is there one particular tour by one company that you feel stands out from the rest?

eddief
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
a week with these guys blew my mind. husband and wife. she canadian, he english. they now live in s. spain and have been doing this for many years. both traveled the world loaded before they opened their company. good folks, interesting rather than 5 star hotels, and i'd return to do it again. my mallorca trip was fixed base, but you ought to be able to find a tour there too. s spain was knockout, mallorca somehow a match or better.

http://www.cyclingcountry.com/

dave thompson
03-20-2011, 07:27 PM
These guys: http://www.austria-radreisen.at/en/home.html I used them twice and was very satisfied both times. Everything was arranged perfectly, even a suitcase with our non-tour clothing (we were taking a river cruise back) was waiting for us at our hotel at the end of the tour. Ours was 'self-guided' tour, hotels and luggage transfers day-by-day were pre-arranged. All we had to do is ride, enjoy and eat our way, everything was waiting for us at the end of the day.

bicycletricycle
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Kieth at nonstopciclismo does a tour once a year in Italy, sometimes following some of the Giro. I used to work there. Keith used to live in Italy and is a great guide.

bikemoore
03-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I've done three tours with these folks. 1x Swiss Alps and 2x French Alps. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I would do another one in a heartbeat if I didn't feel guilty about leaving behind my wife and two little kids so I can go play in the Alps or Dolomites for two weeks and spend thousands of $$ on myself.

No bus transfers, smaller groups so you can fit in quaint hotels, great routes with very challenging riding, and freedom to ride pretty much when and where you want along the routes.

www.ecycletours.com

fireball
03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
For our honeymoon, my wife and I spent some time in Tuscany and did a self-guided tour put together buy CycleItalia. We averaged about 75 to 80k per day and had options on a couple of days to ride longer or shorter routes.

I'd highly recommend it. The hotels were arranged, maps and very good cue sheets were provided, restaurants suggested, luggage moved and if we weren't concerned about bike fit we could have rented bikes through them as well. Add a couple of days on either end to check out Sienna, Florence and whatever else may catch your fancy.

www.cycleitalia.com

RonW87
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Vermont Bicyle Tours (foreign to me, umm, and every country in the world except one, anyway).

R.

TonyMo
03-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Last September I rode the Corsican Audax Tour run by Europe - Active. We did a custom trip for 4 people and the service was excellent. The route is really spectacular but there are some very long days in the saddle. I would not recommend this during the peak months of July and August as it is likely to be very hot and the roads pretty busy.
There are lots of direct flights to Corsica from most European capitals. Here is the link to their web site
http://www.europe-active.com/gb/_search/cycling-tour-corsica-audax/