PDA

View Full Version : Help servicing Swiss DT 240 hub

Dan Le foot
03-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi gang.
I just got a set of wheels using the DT 240 hubs from Joe Young. I want to switch the freehub from Campy to Shimano. The company touts that the hub can be serviced without tools.
I saw a video on You Tube that shows the freehub being removed simply by pulling it off by hand. I can’t seem to do it. The video also suggest using the Park axle vise if you can’t remove the freehub by hand but doesn’t show how that tool is used.
I went to the Swiss’ website but the owner’s manual for the 240 wasn’t there
Anybody have experience with this procedure? :help:
Thanks
Dan

rePhil
03-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Looks like you watched this one? I assume the tool is used for leverage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZQJS0IQM0

oldpotatoe
03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi gang.
I just got a set of wheels using the DT 240 hubs from Joe Young. I want to switch the freehub from Campy to Shimano. The company touts that the hub can be serviced without tools.
I saw a video on You Tube that shows the freehub being removed simply by pulling it off by hand. I can’t seem to do it. The video also suggest using the Park axle vise if you can’t remove the freehub by hand but doesn’t show how that tool is used.
I went to the Swiss’ website but the owner’s manual for the 240 wasn’t there
Anybody have experience with this procedure? :help:
Thanks
Dan

Axle vice or something like that to take the RH end cap off..then tap/pull off the freehub ...sounds like it's really dry. Watch for the 2 toothed discs and spring..clean, lube well. grease on axle, OIL on toothed discs..

Dan Le foot
03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks.
This is what I got from Joe Young. An axel vise is on order.
Dan

Hi Dan,

I have been able to remove the free hub body on older hubs but the newer hubs have a superior seal that seems to create a vacuum that makes removal more difficult. This is good as you don't have to service the hub as often.

First you place the axle vice in ether a bench vice or a Vice grip. There are 2 or 3 holes in the axle vice. Choose the one that is closest to the end cap.

You tighten the small end of the cap cap ( the part that goes in the drop out) in the axle vice then pull and pull up.

The difficulties I some times have are:

The end caps slide out of the axle vice when you pull up so you have to re insert and tighten the vice a bit more.

When the end cap comes off some of the parts slip out as the body is up side down. I wrap a rag around the body to hold every thing in place. The good thing is there are only 4 large moving parts that can fall out.

Replace the parts in reverse order. The end cap can be pushed in place with the palm of your hand.

The second time you do it will be easier. : )