PDA

View Full Version : Proteus Frame

d_man16
03-19-2011, 07:16 AM
I don't know anything about this (bike, company, frames, etc.) but I'm interested and the price is right here is a rundown on the specs:

I think that the campy suntour stuff is from the 70's if that helps....I don't know that much info about the bike either the OP is pretty vague but it's legit

campy record hubs
fiamme rims (sew ups)
one season on vittoria tires
nitto bars
universiade/ suntour cyclone derailers
campy record seat post
campy pedals with leather straps
campy brakes (pretty sure)
campy headset
campy shifters
campy skewers

I have the impression that the, owner from my local forum is about my size. But he doesn't know the actual size of the frame but I'm guessing 56cm...I'll email him later

any help input would be much appreciated :banana:

thanks

Damien

zennmotion
03-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Proteus built very nice custom and stock frames beginning in the early 70s until ??? out of a shop based outside DC in College Park MD. The shop still exists but I'm not sure they're still building frames, at least more than a small handful. Roadbike review forum member Murphsouth was one of their builders back in the day. I've seen a few 531 road frames they built around the DC region.

zap
03-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Yamaguchi (sp?) also built a number of Proteus frames in the 80's. He left D.C. some time ago for Colorado and builds frames under his name, including early 90's US Olympic frames.

mschol17
03-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Call larry at bike123.com for info.

jaykosta
03-19-2011, 08:51 AM
It probably has a 5 or 6 speed freewheel (not cassette) - 13 or 14 was usually the smallest, rear big maybe 21-24?.
52-42 was typical on front,

Wheels are probably 36 3X , maybe 32.

The rear spacing could probably be opened to accept a modern cassette rear, but that would also need new rear derail & shifter.

If it matters, total weight with pedals is probably 21-23,

It should be a comfortable, vintage, 'steel feel' ride for training & pleasure, but not up to current top competition racing standards.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

EricEstlund
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Is this a Proteus built frame, or a Proteus kit frame? Proteus acted as a parts and frame kit/ manual supplier for a time. If it's a kit bike there could be a vast range of "value" based on the skill level of the builder.

dschlichting
03-19-2011, 08:12 PM
. . . forgot about those frame kits they sold . . . My Proteus was built in 1978 and still doing just fine --rode it today in fact.