PDA

View Full Version : OT: Going to South Africa

Bud
03-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I got invited to give a plenary presentation at a conference in South Africa next fall. It's a very nice opportunity professionally, and should be a fun trip. The conference is in Kruger National Park, and the host university/institute is in Pretoria (UNISA). I've never been to Africa, and I'm looking forward to it.

Have any of you fellow forumites traveled to S. Africa and Kruger National Park? Thoughts or input of any kind? I haven't researched the trip or location yet- just said yes the other day. Any advice or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks-

Fixed
03-18-2011, 08:34 PM
I got invited to give a plenary presentation at a conference in South Africa next fall. It's a very nice opportunity professionally, and should be a fun trip. The conference is in Kruger National Park, and the host university/institute is in Pretoria (UNISA). I've never been to Africa, and I'm looking forward to it.

Have any of you fellow forumites traveled to S. Africa and Kruger National Park? Thoughts or input of any kind? I haven't researched the trip or location yet- just said yes the other day. Any advice or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks-
be careful very bad drivers live there
a girl student from u.t. was run down and killed during the soccer worlds there
cheers

130R
03-18-2011, 09:33 PM
news flash from the clash (not really)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/carla-swart-killed-in-south-africa

be warned!

kenw
03-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Wife is off to Kenya next week. So far, $650 in inoculations and prophylactic
meds. Ken

scrubadub
03-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Whoa! Lots of bad news leading off the thread.

A conference in Kruger sounds like a lot of fun. There is a lot of wildlife sightseeing there, and the scenery outside the park is also gorgeous. How long will you be there, will you be renting a car, etc etc?

I lived in Cape Town for about a year, but spent a little bit of time traveling around including Kruger. Pretoria didn't seem like a bad place, but not all that interesting compared to the bigger cities. What kinds of things are you interested in?

P.S. In the bummer category, be careful with your luggage going through Joburg.

54ny77
03-18-2011, 11:40 PM
If you pass through Nigeria, please look up Prince Alyusi Islassis for me. Amazingly and through no actions of my own, I was recognized and accepted as the beneficiary of portion of the $73MM USD contract entitlements. There was no risk involvement because applications were made to the concerned Federal ministries and parastatal with official approvals given by the Federal government before the Central Bank of Nigeria, who is officially empowered to wire the funds to my account by telegraphic transfer.

Oh, I haven't received the funds yet.

Thanks. :banana:

Joachim
03-19-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm South African and was born in Cape Town. Feel free to pm me for specific info. South Africa gets a lot of negative press (even on this forum right from the start). Some if it deserved, some of it totally not. Just as there are parts of the US where I would not walk at night, so there are parts in South Africa, Brazil, Holland, Germany, China etc. You get my point. The best you can do is a listen to a local (and I'm more than willing to help you out as much as I can) and will you have a fantastic time.

Joachim

Fixed
03-19-2011, 04:42 AM
I'm South African and was born in Cape Town. Feel free to pm me for specific info. Sure a girl got run over during soccer worlds; I got run over by a car in Charleston, SC....:rolleyes:

Joachim
do you know simon kessler ?
he was my son's and my coach a few years back very good rider and coach from s.a.
cheers

Joachim
03-19-2011, 04:47 AM
Simon and I raced juniors together, but he was form Southern Transvaal and I from Western Province (names in those days). 1500mi apart...

Fixed
03-19-2011, 04:59 AM
cool you must be a really good cyclist as well .you guys know good coaching in s.a.
cheers
sorry about mentioning the ut student but she was a former student of mrs fixed at the university

jlwdm
03-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Be sure to take some extra vacation time to see as much of Africa as you can - even if it seems expensive time and dollar wise. It is an incomparable experience. Beautiful, diverse countries.

The experience of tracking and observing the animals is so much different than watching on tv or seeing pictures. I can still feel so many of the experiences: the elephant charging our open air jeep twice; tracking lions from close range at night; watching a lion eat its prey from 5 ft away; getting out of the vehicle to track Rhinos and wondering what you would do if the Rhinos turned around and came after us.

You really learn what survival of the fittest is. Each animal has its own means of survival; strength, speed, sight, hearing and so forth. They work together against predators, but the weakest or slowest do not survive. It was spectacular to see less famous animals like wild dogs work in teams to hunt their prey.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but writing this is bringing back many enjoyable memories and feelings.

Cape Town also is one of the most beautiful locations in the world.

Take in all you can every day. You will remember it all for the rest of your life.

Jeff

Bud
03-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I am fully aware of the reputation and potential dangers with baggage, crime etc. I have traveled to places that I think are much more sketchy, and that have required plenty of inoculations and prophylactic meds in advance and during the trip, so I'm fine dealing with those things.

I'm still excited about going and experiencing South Africa, therefore I do appreciate the comments about what to see/do, etc. As I mentioned, this is a great opportunity professionally as well as personally, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Joachim: thanks for your kind offer of further advice. I will likely pm you with questions as details of the trip emerge.

scrubadub
03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Just to add two cents in the AM, don't let the reputation get to you. I think it's far far overblown when in fact South Africa is really a great place. The people are really very nice and will keep you out of areas that you shouldn't be in (and those areas are actually fine except at night in my limited experience).

I went to Kruger (and Machampane on the other side in Mozambique) with a couple of friends of mine. We also went to the Blyde Canyon and the Drakensberg Mountains, both of which were gorgeous. Photos here (https://picasaweb.google.com/lyen.huang/20061022BlydeRiverCanyon?authkey=Gv1sRgCObHt8HSgML WaA#), here (https://picasaweb.google.com/lyen.huang/20060527DrakensbergMountains?authkey=Gv1sRgCJLQxfe rtb2eSg#), and here (https://picasaweb.google.com/lyen.huang/20060523KrugerAndMachampane#).

I'm sure Joachim can guide you better since he's actually from there!

MadeinGermany
03-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I lived in South Africa (North of Johannesburg) for seven years, and just recently have been back for vacation with my family. Kruger Park is a good recommendation. If you have time, I suggest a visit to Cape Town and surrounds. Apart from being a stunningly beautiful spot, you could ride the route of the famous Cape Argus Pick'n Pay cycle tour, which just took place early March. Check out http://www.cycletour.co.za/ for more info.

Irrespective where you will be touring this country, you will be retuning with lots of wonderful memories. Have a great trip.

Marcy
03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Great folks in SA -- I married one!

Kruger is sweet, make sure to take a night time wildlife safari, we saw lots of lions out eating dinner -- from a truck with no doors. Don't get out though -- or you'll be dessert.

You'll probably be on malaria meds if you're going during the rainy season. Pay the extra $$ and get malorine, no side effects like Lariam or Doxy (don't even know if they sell Lariam (mephaquin) anymore -- wierd side effects with some folks).

JHB is bad (that's where my wife is from). Her bro and his girlfriend recently kidnapped in a carjacking (survived) and her sis also had her car stolen a few days later. Police not respected there. Even the Lonely Planet Travel Guide says to get out of JHB as soon as you can (and they have something nice to say about almost every cesspool in the world). During a recent tour of Baghdad I came the realization I rather be in Iraq than JHB.

On the other hand, Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited. Have traveled there about 1/2 a dozen times, and want to go back.

It's a country of extremes -- keep your eyes open, stay away from the bad spots, and try not to get into a situation where you'll need medical care (very high AIDS rate).

I did 2 years in Senegal, West Africa w/ the Peace Corps. South Africa is a good starter country if you've never been to Africa before. It actually has the second highest GDP, after Egypt. Other countries are much, much worse WRT poverty, crime, corruption, and disease.

Travel safe.

kgreene10
03-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I went to SA last year to present at an academic conference in Jo'burg. Then we drove and flew around the country for three weeks. It was the most amazing and wonderful travel experience. The country is beautiful and the most socially and politically fascinating place I have ever been. I have another invitation this summer that I have to decline and I'm seriously disappointed that I can't go again.

After Jo'burg we spent three days in a dirt poor village in the north where some of my wife's friends live. It's not an experience you can easily repeat, but getting off the beaten path is and I highly recommend it. The touristy stuff had some grand highlights, but the best was getting off the "track."

After that, we did go touristy and headed to a game park on the edge of Kruger. We stayed at Simbavati River Lodge and had a superb time. I was skeptical of the all-inclusive and the cost as well as the game drives. I thought they would be "canned" and lame. I was completely wrong. Everything was eye-poppingly wonderful. I like animals, but thought I might be bored. It was soul-shakingly fascinating.

Then we drove a couple of thousand kms, meandering through St Lucia (skip it -- touristy and not worth the time) and then to Kwazulu Natal. Kwazulu was something else. Whereas race relations seemed calm -- at least on the surface we could experience during our short visit -- in Jo'burg, tensions were extremely palpable in Kwazulu. Of course, this is where the real ???? went down and we arrived just a week after the yearly celebrations of Boer victories. We toured the battle sites and did a lot of driving through the serene countryside.

We did another touristy thing by staying in a bush camp in the Drakensburg mountains. The hiking was superb and the cave paintings made my heart sing.

After some more driving, we flew to Cape Town. Very reminiscent of San Francisco. It was harder to get off the beaten path here and our standard hotel experience left me cold.

Oh, I almost forgot, if you go to Jo'burg, the Apartheid Museum (allow basically the whole day or 3/4) was incredibly well put together. The exhibits and the signage were first rate. None of the esoteric writing by wannabe poets on these signs. Rather, they were analytical and clearly written by historians, sociologists, and political scientists. Also, visit the RSA Supreme Court and surrounding prison. If you get really lucky (as we did), you might be able to get a tour from former Justice Albee Sachs.

I wish I could go back this summer and can't wait for my next trip. I agree with the warnings about driving, so limit it to daylight hours and be very attentive. All other standard travel precautions apply, but get out there and explore.

Bud
03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
KG: thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm not sure how much time I'll have, and I think the majority of my trip will be taken care of by my hosts (such as getting from JoBurg to UNISA and then on to Kruger). I do know that they have a number of experiences planned around the conference in Kruger: game drives, night safari, etc.

I can probably take a couple of days after the conference to do my own thing. The Apartheid museum would top my list based on your experience there. And getting out on the track into the bush would be nice as well. I'll see if I can find some contacts in my field.

kgreene10
03-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Glad to help. As long as you are going to Jo'burg, here's a second plug for the Constitutional Court (I incorrectly referred to it as the Supreme Court in my prior post). It looks like no court you have ever seen and is housed in one of the notorious prisons that tortured blacks. Visiting is a really moving experience.

The other activity that is a tough call is a guided tour of Soweto. For me, it was a strange and voyeuristic experience to be guided around a shanty but I also felt that it was important for me to see, hear, and smell how the less fortunate live. I wish I could say that it changed me as much as it should have.

Let us know how the trip goes and good luck at the conference.

jmoore
03-22-2011, 07:34 AM
I snagged all those NOS steel Merckx from the shop in Pratoria a few years back. Queen City Cycles or Queen Cycles, something like that. If you are close, it's worth a look to see what Rashid has left. He had 60-65 frames when I was there. I got back to the US, posted that I had found them and he promptly sold 45 frames or so in about 2 weeks. He's bound to have a few left. His prices were great too.

I loved SA when I was down there. It was a very nice country. People were great. Food was great. Scenery was great. Like anywhere, definitely pay attention to where you are and you'll be safe. Kruger will be fantastic. If it were me, I'd book a hunting trip while I was there. A week or so on a plains game safari would be heaven.