PDA

View Full Version : Linseed Oil on Steel Frame

Dlevy05
03-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Has anyone tried to coat the inside of their steel frame with linseed oil?

I went to one of my LBS's and the guy behind the counter didn't want to sell me a can of the rust prevention stuff. Instead he recommended linseed oil. He showed me (on an older stumpjumper) that it coats the tubes with thick film, and becomes kind of goopy when it dries. It's much cheaper that the alternative, and in the salesman's opinion, it does a better job. The downside is that it's messy. Would you use it on your steel frame?

veloduffer
03-18-2011, 02:07 PM
That's what folks used to use for rust prevention. I dunno. The esteemed JP Weigle produced Framesaver after testing it out on bare metal in a New England winter. So, it has been an (sort of) industry standard, at least for the biking industry which seems to not have standards (eg bcd, JIS/ISO, Italian vs English bottom brackets, etc).

Another solution is Boeshield, which was invented by Boeing engineers to keep moisture away from aircraft parts.

bicycletricycle
03-18-2011, 02:35 PM
i have a frame that is coated in linseed oil right now. I am trying to decide if i want to paint it, it has some spots of rust after a few months of riding in the rain.

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2011, 02:52 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84524&highlight=weigle

Has some good alternatives.

BBD

Peter P.
03-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I believe Framesaver is not linseed oil but cosmoline in an aerosol base. Not only does it work, I think its even greater attribute is it's easy to apply due to it's aerosol form. It is a great idea that is very popular.

That said, linseed oil will work and work well, but you may find it messier to work with and more difficult to apply to the insides of the tubes unless you have a skinny applicator.

Dlevy05
03-18-2011, 05:45 PM
when applying, is it necessary to disassemble the fork and headset? I plan to take the bb off for this one.

mgd
03-18-2011, 06:52 PM
curtlo uses linseed oil. he told me he put it in my frames.

Dekonick
03-18-2011, 07:22 PM
I have done both - framesaver and linseed oil. Both work - linseed oil is messy, stinks, but cheap and available. Heck - just make sure the metal is coated with something that keeps moisture off the steel. Paint with clear coat, boeshield, framesaver, boilled linseed oil, WD40, just make sure all exposed metal is covered. The advantage to linseed oil and framesaver is it dries to a tacky film and seems to last. At work we use all kinds of stuff - from (believe it or not) food grade grease (on the aluminum ladder on the ladder truck... some of the other trucks we have use lithium grease, and ground ladders just use wax...) WD40, linseed oil (mostly on wooden handles on tools) 'rust inhibitor' or similar (boeshield or the like...), motor oil, transmition fluid... and all these concoctions for rust prevention, or lubrication of exposed metal parts. What matters is to do it as often as needed... regular maintenance is the key.

akelman
03-18-2011, 07:33 PM
If I rub linseed oil into the steel carefully and then put the frame under my mattress for a few weeks, will it become more vertically compliant?*

* While retaining its lateral stiffness?

William
03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Fluid Film is non-toxic fun. And it works. :beer:

William

Merlmabase
03-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Linseed oil is also popular with some wheelbuilders for using on the spoke threads, for the properties mentioned above. It does about as good a job as loctite or spokefreeze, and unlike them it isn't sold by the thimbleful for 25 bucks a pop.

I've still got some linseed oil patches around the hub flange holes on a pair of wheels I inherited from a friend, presumably because the builder was dipping his spokes before passing them through the hub. I've spent god-know-much-time rubbing and scratching them off, and still haven't got it totally clean. I suppose that's a testament to the tenacity of the stuff.

Dekonick
03-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Fluid Film is non-toxic fun. And it works. :beer:

William

Will it keep my knuckles from bleeding when hit with rattan?

;)

Sticks are fun!

William
03-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Will it keep my knuckles from bleeding when hit with rattan?

;)

Sticks are fun!

When the knuckles are bruised and sore, the small bit of padding on a flexible fabric band aid will do wonders. Or, just suck it up. :D ;)

William