PDA

View Full Version : Clincher tire rec for Edge 45's?

wooly
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I just bought the Edge 45 clinchers (with king r45 hubs) from noonan. Can't wait to get them. I've been running tubeless for about six months but haven;t had a carbon clincher before. Any recommendations on which tires to run? No racing. Ride quality is important. I used to run Veloflex Blacks and liked them. But I've heard that running tires that are a bit tougher to get on is recommended. Don't know if there's any truth to that. Any way, open to suggestions. Thanks much!

leooooo
03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
I've ran gatorskins, gp4, and pr3s on my 45's.

Ride quality for each respective tire was as expected. The rim definitely did not improve or worsen the original qualities of each tire.

No idea about tighter fitting tires are better, but the gatorskins were a pain in the neck to put on. (Got better over time though, probably stretched?)

LegendRider
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Conti GP4000s clinchers are the best balance of durability, puncture resistance and ride quality in my experience. Michelin ProRace3 and Vittoria Open Corsas may give a slightly better ride, but they are far more puncture prone. I'd stay away from the Gatorskins - they don't ride well.

Scott Shire
03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Conti GP4000s clinchers are the best balance of durability, puncture resistance and ride quality in my experience. Michelin ProRace3 and Vittoria Open Corsas may give a slightly better ride, but they are far more puncture prone. I'd stay away from the Gatorskins - they don't ride well.

The above is a spot-on summary of high-end clincher offerings!

Did I see you on Mt. Vernon with a white/grey Catlike? If not, someone up there is riding a Ti Serotta with some very nice form.

BCS
03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
+1. The Vittoria Open Pave should also be considered. I like them more than the Contis in terms of ride quality

oldguy00
03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
+1 again.

In my limited experience (Im a tubie guy mostly), the Vittoria Open Corsa's were by far the nicest riding, and also had a better grip (IMHO) than the 4000's, but were a bit more puncture prone.
If it were me, and we were talking general training/racing, I'd go with the Vittoria's. If really long rides/centuries, then maybe the conti 4000s's.

Note - I bought a pair of the Schwalbe Ultremo R.1's from probikekit a couple months ago when they went on sale. Haven't ridden them, but just holding them and seeing them mounted on wheels, -not- very impressed...

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
ahh you bought his other set of king wheels! i picked up the king/DT wheels.

personally i'm going to throw on the set of ultremos that i picked up from PBK last month.

FYI there is a good deal going at PBK for sets of GP4000s right now.

i prefer, in order of preference:

vittoria open corsa 320tpi
schwalbe ultremos
michelin PR3s
GP4000s

they're all good tires though!

Louis
03-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Michelin ProRace3 and Vittoria Open Corsas may give a slightly better ride, but they are far more puncture prone.

The last few years I've been using various generations of the M ProRace tires and haven't noticed any significant puncture issues. It's not that I don't ever get flats, I do, maybe one per 2000 miles or so, but certainly not enough for it too feel like it's an issue.

I'd happily recommend PR3's as a very good tire at a decent price (if purchased from say, PBK).