PDA

View Full Version : Closing Threads

soul survivor
03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Mods -- respect your discretion to close threads. But a statement and a question:

1. Most people on this forum are remarkably educated and in control of their responses on all issues.

2. Would you prefer if we simply not raise important issues for fear of out-of-control topics?

Soul Survivor

Mr. Squirrel
03-18-2011, 10:24 AM
let us talk only of wheels and where you will be riding them please. exact addresses and zip codes appreciated.

mr. squirrel

Pete Serotta
03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
additionally what more can be said about the NPR? The $$s from closing NPR do not even hit the main budget if you look at all the other items and the value to the country. I am not questioning its value nor importance.

There are many topics that create emotion, discussion, and than eventually personal attacks....The personal attacks are the no no for the forum.

QUote "Most people on this forum are remarkably educated and in control of their responses on all issues." History says this is not normally the case of control and also even in our country there is sometimes disrespect for others.. We all can improve - - even me..... Personal attacks on others is a "no no" Zero tolerance. Sometimes it is slow to start but if you look at the last note there were some items bordering the attacks...some ids have attacked others or even serotta at times....THey are no longer on this forum.

Mods -- respect your discretion to close threads. But a statement and a question:

1. Most people on this forum are remarkably educated and in control of their responses on all issues.

2. Would you prefer if we simply not raise important issues for fear of out-of-control topics?

Soul Survivor

Charles M
03-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Politics and religion...

Get em all day long everywhere else.

When OT starts to turn ugly. kick it.

thwart
03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Seems the OT topics are a bit more political lately... a reflection of what's going on around the country, I'd guess.

I'm just happy to be here, so if the mods lock things down... well, that's their prerogative.

At least we can't say no one is paying attention... ;)

michael white
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
At least we can't say no one is paying attention... ;)

yep, if a political thread isn't locked, someone's not trying :beer:

flydhest
03-18-2011, 11:15 AM
This thread seems to be getting a little bit out of hand. If you all don't cool it, I'll shut'er down.

Kidding . . . kidding. :banana:

By the way, this was the best post on that thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=907591&postcount=47

54ny77
03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Start an "OT" section or close 'em all.

This place ain't a democracy, it's a privately owned & operated forum. Mods/Serotta can do what they want, and more power to 'em. We're fortunate this place exists in the first place. :)

deechee
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Isn't this a bike forum?

Thanks moderators for keeping things in check around here.

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2011, 12:05 PM
. . . is that threads involving personal attacks and/or politics are verboten and should be closed. I have been told to use my best judgement, so that's what I do. I will continue to do that until given different instructions.

Both threads had, in my estimation, lapsed into both of the above. Unfortunately, threads of this type seem to often involve the same cast of characters. Perhaps a bit more attention to the forum user agreement and its terms by those involved would prevent situations like this from developing in the future?

Do I sound bit testy? . . . damn straight I do! The rule against personal attacks has been here since the beginning. The semi-new rule about political subjects was thoroughly publicized and debated when it was implemented.

No, it's not a democracy. It's a brand-related cycling forum and it shouldn't surprise anyone who's been here for any length of time when threads that involve rancorous exchanges that could reflect badly on our hosts and their brand are either prohibited or closed.

Note that doesn't include subjects that might involve direct criticism and/or debate about Serotta products. I've never seen a place like this anywhere else online where you can say "I think the (insert porum host's name here) is an awful product because . . . " and be able to conduct a discussion on that topic and not have the thread deleted pretty much immediately. It's not a democracy but it's as close as I've ever seen to a really open forum from a manufacturer. I'm proud of that.

I'm not trying to be a pr*ck but it does get a bit old having to go through this again and again and check in here on my lunch hour to see who's trashing who today . . . :crap: :rolleyes:

BBD

goonster
03-18-2011, 12:10 PM
From my experience on other boards, closing threads is good for the quality of forum discussions.

When the gang knows it's being watched, and that straying off the straight and narrow won't be tolerated, then we don't waste time on unproductive "No, you're a jerk!" slugfests.

Good job, mods!

Aaron O
03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Politics and religion...

Get em all day long everywhere else.

When OT starts to turn ugly. kick it.

Seriously...I can argue about politics and religion with any of my wife's family. I don't need that here.

Lifelover
03-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Soul Survivor

JHC! Use the search function. This has been beatn to death.

Mods can and should do as they see fit.

flydhest
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
JHC! Use the search function. This has been beatn to death.

Mods can and should do as they see fit.

Lifelover, can I get you to tell my wife that? She doesn't like to let me dress myself because of my "sense of flair." Can you drop her a note that says, as a moderator, I should do as I see fit?

William
03-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Lifelover, can I get you to tell my wife that? She doesn't like to let me dress myself because of my "sense of flair." Can you drop her a note that says, as a moderator, I should do as I see fit?

I know you at least pick the way you see fit.

http://nickwardscenarios.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/banjo.jpg

....and I see your "sense of flair" is quite intact! :D

;) :D

William

Pete Serotta
03-18-2011, 02:47 PM
and his judgements are excellent :banana: :banana:
:beer:
and good for wine when we meet him again. Thanks Sir Dave!!!

. . . is that threads involving personal attacks and/or politics are verboten and should be closed. I have been told to use my best judgement, so that's what I do. I will continue to do that until given different instructions.

Both threads had, in my estimation, lapsed into both of the above. Unfortunately, threads of this type seem to often involve the same cast of characters. Perhaps a bit more attention to the forum user agreement and its terms by those involved would prevent situations like this from developing in the future?

Do I sound bit testy? . . . damn straight I do! The rule against personal attacks has been here since the beginning. The semi-new rule about political subjects was thoroughly publicized and debated when it was implemented.

No, it's not a democracy. It's a brand-related cycling forum and it shouldn't surprise anyone who's been here for any length of time when threads that involve rancorous exchanges that could reflect badly on our hosts and their brand are either prohibited or closed.

Note that doesn't include subjects that might involve direct criticism and/or debate about Serotta products. I've never seen a place like this anywhere else online where you can say "I think the (insert porum host's name here) is an awful product because . . . " and be able to conduct a discussion on that topic and not have the thread deleted pretty much immediately. It's not a democracy but it's as close as I've ever seen to a really open forum from a manufacturer. I'm proud of that.

I'm not trying to be a pr*ck but it does get a bit old having to go through this again and again and check in here on my lunch hour to see who's trashing who today . . . :crap: :rolleyes:

BBD