PDA

View Full Version : REI Dividend and 20% Off Coupon

93legendti
03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Just got the email. Yahoo!

firerescuefin
03-18-2011, 09:44 AM
My favorite store....best $20 bucks (membership) I ever spent.

akelman
03-18-2011, 09:47 AM
My favorite store....best $20 bucks (membership) I ever spent.

REI is one of the few places that I'm genuinely happy to overpay: for good service, for an unsurpassed return policy, for the aesthetics of the stores, for the company's commitment to a clean environment. Come to think of it, I guess I'm not overpaying at all, am I?

johnnymossville
03-18-2011, 09:50 AM
REI's one of my favorite stores. The people who work there all seem so darn happy. Borders/B&N, Wegmans, and the Guitar Center are my others.

93legendti
03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
REI's one of my favorite stores. The people who work there all seem so darn happy. Borders/B&N, Wegmans, and the Guitar Center are my others.
True dat. Very helpful sales staff.

thwart
03-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Always a good place to buy stuff, especially at 20% off. Got mine too. :banana:

goonster
03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Does the fine print of the 20% coupon exclude GPS devices? (Didn't get mine yet.)

mtbkr1973
03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Excludes GPS devices.... :crap:

johnnymossville
03-18-2011, 10:15 AM

LOL doesn't that just figure.

PaMtbRider
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I've been waiting for this. Now I can get the Shower's Pass jacket that is never on sale.

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
odd - i havent gotten the e-mail, and i'm a longtime member! :crap:

lurpy
03-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Have you specified e-mail as your preference in your REI account? I believe snail mail is the default communication method.

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Have you specified e-mail as your preference in your REI account? I believe snail mail is the default communication method.

ah, no i havent, i guess i'll be on the lookout in the regular mail. thanks for the tip!

RonW87
03-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Which is better, REI or MEC?

goonster
03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Depends which country you're in. ;)

They are really about the same, imo . . .

REI has a greater offering of high-end brand name stuff, and MEC has better bargain-priced house brand items, from what I've seen.

gdw
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
You can find out your dividend by clicking on the membership tab at REI.com and then dividend information. The 20% coupon code is MEM 2011.

Aaron O
03-18-2011, 12:24 PM
REI is one of the few places that I'm genuinely happy to overpay: for good service, for an unsurpassed return policy, for the aesthetics of the stores, for the company's commitment to a clean environment. Come to think of it, I guess I'm not overpaying at all, am I?

I'm with you 100%. Yes, I might pay 15% more. For that 15% I get friendly, helpful service from a knowledgable employee who makes a bit more money than other retail sales jockeys. For that 15% I KNOW that they stand by their products. I leave REI smiling and that's worth a premium.

REI - customer service's last stand.

Scott Shire
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Goonster is dead on re: MEC vs REI.

Not only do I love, love, love REI, the one just north of Atlanta (perimeter) has an AMAZING head bicycle mechanic. The first time I saw him he was riding a recumbent from the shop to the front door screaming "THIS IS NOT MY BICYCLE." at the top of his lungs. :hello:

Dlevy05
03-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I too, am a fan of REI. As you all said, the customer service and return policy are second to none. The used gear sales, are even better.

However, I am disappointed in their bike department. I used to see huge arrays of bikes as I was growing up, including many higher end bikes, like Litespeed, Merlin, etc... and now they've molded their dept. around the masses. I'm not placing blame, because the only local shops that I've seen really prosper in this day and age (i.e. Mikes Bike's) has dropped the same high end manufacturers (colnago, etc.) and gravitated towards a more generic stock of run of the mill bikes and parts. I love REI, but I'm frustrated/saddened at the industry change, and the fact that they've played into it....albeit out of necessity, I'm sure...

Aaron O
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I too, am a fan of REI. As you all said, the customer service and return policy are second to none. The used gear sales, are even better.

However, I am disappointed in their bike department. I used to see huge arrays of bikes as I was growing up, including many higher end bikes, like Litespeed, Merlin, etc... and now they've molded their dept. around the masses. I'm not placing blame, because the only local shops that I've seen really prosper in this day and age (i.e. Mikes Bike's) has dropped the same high end manufacturers (colnago, etc.) and gravitated towards a more generic stock of run of the mill bikes and parts. I love REI, but I'm frustrated/saddened at the industry change, and the fact that they've played into it....albeit out of necessity, I'm sure...

I understand what you're saying, but I also don't agree. I think what REI did helping to reintroduce practical, affordable bikes like the Surly LHT was a great move and goes along with the company's image. Stuff that works. REI isn't a roadie place, it isn't a pro shop. I have pro shops near me, I like having a place I can go for Keen commuter sandals and a great selection of panniers.

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 12:55 PM

update: got it:)

Dlevy05
03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
I understand what you're saying, but I also don't agree. I think what REI did helping to reintroduce practical, affordable bikes like the Surly LHT was a great move and goes along with the company's image. Stuff that works. REI isn't a roadie place, it isn't a pro shop. I have pro shops near me, I like having a place I can go for Keen commuter sandals and a great selection of panniers.

I agree with you, and would like to rephrase my previous statement. I felt something was lost, although - as you correctly pointed out, REI has found a niche on the 'trekking' side of life, from bicycles and beyond. I must accept that the acquisition of a market niche will most likely come with the relinquishment of something else. You can never gain without giving.

On a different note, I didn't even know they carried Surlys (Surlies? :p ). I may be wrong but the last time I walked into the shop in Berkeley, I was bombarded by Cannondales everywhere.

BobbyJones
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Since this veered a little bit towards the customer service aspect at REI, i must say that I'm not thoroughly impressed.

I frequent the store in West Hartford, CT. Although all of salespeople are nice and friendly, a few have seem to have a problem saying "I don't know" and will spew a few lines of fiction instead.

And no, I wasn't "testing" an employee but was chatting with another shopper who was looking for info on an item.

Dlevy05
03-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Since this veered a little bit towards the customer service aspect at REI, i must say that I'm not thoroughly impressed.

I frequent the store in West Hartford, CT. Although all of salespeople are nice and friendly, a few have seem to have a problem saying "I don't know" and will spew a few lines of fiction instead.

And no, I wasn't "testing" an employee but was chatting with another shopper who was looking for info on an item.

That's a shame. I've had the opposite experience. The salesperson in Berkeley, Ca had no clue about speedplay pedals, and brought out a mech for me to speak with.

93legendti
03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
That's a shame. I've had the opposite experience. The salesperson in Berkeley, Ca had no clue about speedplay pedals, and brought out a mech for me to speak with.
That's the way my local REI is...evereyone goes out of their way to help you. I never knew we had a REI so close, until I met a forumite there to sell a wheel. Score!

mtb_frk
03-18-2011, 04:32 PM
That's the way my local REI is...evereyone goes out of their way to help you. I never knew we had a REI so close, until I met a forumite their to sell a wheel. Score!

We are lucky we have 3 of them all within a hour or so drive. I know I spend too much money there and am happy that you do now also. The Michigan economy needs all the help it can get!

So how am I going to spend my dividend... I think some 29er crossmax wheels are in order. :hello:

93legendti
03-18-2011, 06:30 PM
We are lucky we have 3 of them all within a hour or so drive. I know I spend too much money there and am happy that you do now also. The Michigan economy needs all the help it can get!

So how am I going to spend my dividend... I think some 29er crossmax wheels are in order. :hello:
You got that right on both scores. Is the Novi store in 12 Oaks?

I'm thinking about this:

http://www.rei.com/product/775033
Mammut Lucido TX1 Headlamp

Thanks for turning me on to REI!

fourflys
03-18-2011, 07:35 PM
well, under the recommendation of Joe from SoulRun, I used my small dividend and coupon to get an Osprey Raptor 10 hydration pack...

http://www.ospreypacks.com/images_products/198_470_lg.jpg

steampunk
03-18-2011, 08:02 PM
love REI & got my email too...good timing as i'm in need of new pedals.

Point Grey
03-18-2011, 08:04 PM

REI by far... REI pays out dividend and pays taxes. MEC, no dividend and does not pay taxes.

tuxbailey
03-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Got mine too. Together the $30 GC I got from my gym at work, I need to to by something before the coupon expires.

Hmmm, maybe a pair of bibs.

yetitotheheady
03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I am an REI employee.

Its so awesome to know you guys like the company. It is a great company to work for. I'm starting to loose track of how many times people have told me they love that store once they find out I work there. Just happened at the bank the other day, when I made a deposit "REI" on was on the check and next thing I know the cashier is showing me their REI nalgene water bottle haha

yeah the bikes probably don't appeal to many on the forum, with that said there are a few that might appeal to fellow forum members.

This is a new one
Novara Verita (steel, sram apex $1100)
inexpensive commuter, light tour, rainbike with fenders.
http://www.rei.com/product/807242

Yes we have Surly's and Raleigh's but they are NOT in stock at all stores. They can be had though.

looks like they have the pacer and steamroller online right now. I wonder why the Long haul trucker is not up right now hmmm must investigate.

We carry Raleigh. They might be of interest to some, specifically the International, Record Ace, maybe Port Townsend (commute, touring)

oh and the last thing, I don't own it but another forum member was talking about the "showers pass jacket". Those have a awesome reputation, very nice product. Try on the this jacket just to see what fit you prefer http://www.rei.com/product/801580. I feel it fits slimmer than showers pass, regardless its a nice price for an eVent jacket. I do not own it. I can't own everything in the store despite wanting to :) .

I'm no spokesperson, just a happy employee.

now go out and use those dividends and 20% coupons! what...job security :beer:
coupons are good till 4/10/11. Dividends are kept for years (2yrs at least).

93legendti
03-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I opted for a Cygolite Expilion all in one bike light with helmet attachment. Really bright and rechargable via usb. $40 after my discount and dividend redemption.

csm
03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I ordered a Patagonia light down shirt or sweater for my wife and a new pair of Salomon hiking shoes. I love the dividend and % off.

93legendti
03-26-2011, 11:54 AM
This is odd: When I got the email last week, it said my dividend was $40 and change. Yesterday, I got the mailer and it said my dividend was $46 and change...not complaining, just curious...

zap
03-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Purchased Shimano spd-sl pedals for my wifes commuter with our dividend.

rice rocket
03-26-2011, 11:20 PM
This maybe slightly OT, but what's w/ REIs bike distribution?

A family friend was looking for a urban/trail bike, and I got their hearts set on a Cannondale Quick 6 on clearance that they said REI can ship to store, and they'll do the fitting, etc. Long story short, once you reach the end of the checkout, they say they won't ship to certain states. :confused:

Looks like it's Bikesdirect time... :crap:

ultraman6970
03-27-2011, 09:08 AM
REI is not a bad store, but it depends of what you are looking for also, cycling is ok at REI but you wont find campagnolo, neither italian gear like castelli or santini. I'm always looking at their outlet because sometimes they have overstock or stuff that they need to move quickly and goes out for a very good price.

THey used to have a good tools dept in the stores but now is kind'a loosing pressure if you know what i mean. Bikes selection is not bad, they sell novara that belongs to them, cannondale and i cant remember what else (they dropped scott i believe for this year), they do have mavic and easton wheelsets in the stores. In general looks like the picks they have done of items at least sell better than performance bikes that probably 90% of the stock is not something i would buy and the remaining 10% is something I rather get somewhere else online.

xjoex
03-27-2011, 03:48 PM
I have an REI Visa and do all of my business travel with it. So this year I got a new OR Paclite Jacket and Pants with the refund and coupon!

-Joe

93legendti
03-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I have an REI Visa and do all of my business travel with it. So this year I got a new OR Paclite Jacket and Pants with the refund and coupon!

-Joe
NICE!

neiltron
03-27-2011, 11:08 PM
I really like REI for their return policy. If something falls apart, they will gladly exchange it for a new one.

InspectorGadget
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm no spokesperson, just a happy employee.
Me too. I'm new to the forum, but a seven year employee at REI.

This maybe slightly OT, but what's w/ REIs bike distribution?

A family friend was looking for a urban/trail bike, and I got their hearts set on a Cannondale Quick 6 on clearance that they said REI can ship to store, and they'll do the fitting, etc. Long story short, once you reach the end of the checkout, they say they won't ship to certain states. :confused:

Looks like it's Bikesdirect time... :crap:

Based on dealer agreements with the manufacturers, each store has their own product mix. The Salt Lake store I work in carries Cannondale and Marin, for instance, but we don't have Diamond Back, Raleigh, Scott or Surly.

Over the years I've been with the co-op, I've watched the product mix move away from higher end bikes to focus on the entry level and mainstream rider. REI was never a pro-shop or specialty store, but we did have higher end bikes than we carry now.

1happygirl
05-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Awwwwwww.

REI HAS changed quite a bit. One thing I used to like was the ability to special order an item either that they didn't carry but would get for you or a product they did carry but would order the color you want. It was also free shipping to the store.

Now, they tell me costs have stopped that. So now if I find something specialized I want in the color I want, I just order direct from the manufacturer.

InspectorGadget
05-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Awwwwwww.

REI HAS changed quite a bit. One thing I used to like was the ability to special order an item either that they didn't carry but would get for you or a product they did carry but would order the color you want. It was also free shipping to the store.

Now, they tell me costs have stopped that. So now if I find something specialized I want in the color I want, I just order direct from the manufacturer.I can't speak for all REI locations, but the store I work at will happily special order a product or color we don't have in stock. Unfortunately, you may have to pay shipping.

Also, it's too late for this year, but the Friends & Family sale was this past weekend. Make friends with an REI employee so you can get a coupon for the next Friends & Family event.

There were restrictions, but the discounts looked like this:
25% off purchases of $200 or more
20% off purchases up to $199
15% off bicycles, hard-shell boats, stand-up paddle boards, GPS enabled products or personal locator beacons

1happygirl
05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I can't speak for all REI locations, but the store I work at will happily special order a product or color we don't have in stock. Unfortunately, you may have to pay shipping.

Also, it's too late for this year, but the Friends & Family sale was this past weekend. Make friends with an REI employee so you can get a coupon for the next Friends & Family event.

hmmm. good to know about f&f. as for the special order, that's definitely not what they said at the store and on the 800# when I called.

InspectorGadget
05-06-2011, 10:16 AM
hmmm. good to know about f&f. as for the special order, that's definitely not what they said at the store and on the 800# when I called.Interesting. I called the store I work at before posting just to make sure I wasn't talking out the wrong orifice.

LouDeeter
05-07-2011, 12:45 AM
I joined REI in 1981 and got their credit card VISA that pays 1% on all purchases when it came out, sometime in the 90s as I recall. I used the VISA for everything, including my daughter's college tuition!! Big dividends those years! I now have a brokerage credit card that pays 2% on all purchases and credits the rebate monthly, so I rarely use the REI card anymore. Still, nice company and I love their book selection in the stores. If you get to Seattle and visit their main store, checkout the "returns" section. Great values.