PDA

View Full Version : Allez *Steel* Double???

HankHornbuckle
03-18-2011, 07:36 AM
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=51608&scid=1001&scname=Road

Does anyone have one of these? It sure looks like a great deal at $730.00. There was a lad that showed up on our Thursday night ride on one of these carrying a backpack with his regular shoes, clothes, etc. on his back, and he smoked everybody on the ride! Said he was a student on a tight budget and that he had just gotten it and that he liked it just fine.
It was refreshing to see somebody on some plain ol heavy metal with downtube shifters and low-end components just crushing it in front of a distant wake of carbony wunderbykes.

Anyway, I've been recommending it to new riders that are looking for something in that price range and I have thought about getting one for myself at some point if anything happened to my IF, knowing I couldn't ever afford to replace it. Just wondering if anyone out there has first hand experience.

Thanks

Ken Robb
03-18-2011, 09:11 AM
I like that according to the spec sheet the geometry changes with frame size presumably to keep handling the same across the range. It does seem like a good value.

keevon
03-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Having built and sold a number of these, it's a decent enough bike for the money. Parts are definitely low-end, but are functional and should stand up over time.

However, these pretty much require a complete overhaul right out of the box, especially the wheels.

Ken Robb
03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
So does the extra set-up labor required kill your profit/incentive to sell them?

keevon
03-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry, I think I gave the wrong impression. Just because these bikes needed a complete overhaul out of the box, doesn't mean they received one.

I didn't agree with how the shop built new bikes. But then again, that was only a temporary gig...

FlashUNC
03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
My first road bike (frame's still in storage) was one of the Allez steel frames from the mid-90's. Fantastic frame. Loved it and would never sell it.

That bike's a bargain if it rides half as well.

TAW
03-18-2011, 12:53 PM
I work at a shop that sells Specialized stuff. When we build them, there are some things that must be done to get them ready to go, such as wheel truing, trimming of excess cable and adjustments. The wheels are definitely low grade but functional, and all the rest of the parts are decent enough to work well. It is a good deal for the money, and they ride pretty well.

Scott Shire
03-18-2011, 12:57 PM
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/schwinn/schwinn_letour_legacy.htm

Probably a better deal - full 105 with FSA cranks. $699.

The Allez is certainly better looking.

My question at this price range, though, is how much longer would one have to save up to do a nice used lugged frame with DA 7700? There is a sub 1k mile complete gruppo on eBay for $400; I bet you could find one with lesser cosmetics for just over $300. A quick perusal of $400 steel frames yields...

Ciocc Dedaccai ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Ciocc-Dedacciai-Steel-Road-Frame-Frameset-55cm-Record-/270718092602?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item3f080e453a)

Ciocc Designer ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Ciocc-Designer-84-Road-Frame-and-Fork-/150578717142?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item230f30e1d6)

Serotta Classique ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Serotta-Classique-Road-Bicycle-Frame-54-cm-/320672257279?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item4aa98e54ff)

753 OS Paramount (http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHWINN-PARAMOUNT-FRAME-FORK-/140522264349?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item20b7c7971d)

NOS SOMEC SLX (http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-SOMEC-SLX-Frameset-54-AMAZING-PAINT-JOB-/290543910227?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item43a5c43d53)

OK, so i doubt the last one will stay under $400, but anything's possible in this market. I just think you'd end up with a hell of a bicycle for ~$700-800. One with far more character than the new offerings.

EricEstlund
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
That Serotta is busted. Buying used is great for a customer who know what they are getting (and what to avoid). For an out the door rig with a full warranty that seems like a decent way to go.

rugbysecondrow
03-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Looks like it has braze-ons for fenders or racks. Not sure what the clearance would be for fenders, but would be a nice option.

chuckroast
03-19-2011, 06:15 AM
I agree with what Eric said above. We're all sophisticates and know what to buy in a used bike. For a newbee that's looking to get in at an entry level and doesn't like all the entry level aluminum, this looks like a nice ride.

PS, I really like the understated graphics.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Sorry, I think I gave the wrong impression. Just because these bikes needed a complete overhaul out of the box, doesn't mean they received one.

I didn't agree with how the shop built new bikes. But then again, that was only a temporary gig...

MOST bikes that come in a box need an almost complete takeapart if the build is done correctly. There is seldom any grease in headsets and BBs, the wheels are in terrible shape, the hubs, even tho from a 'factory', often need an opening and grease added and a good adjustment. Add to this a really basic margin, with no factory rebate for this added labor. Why so many shops slap these together, done by the 'kid out back', then the bike comes back again and again cuz it doesn't work or the wheels go to hell, and the customer hangs the bike up and takes up tennis...

Shops need to recognize they are competing with other leisure time activities and need to make the bike work perfectly from day one. Yes, I'd like lots of people to get out of their cars and ride bikes but hasn't happened yet, as gas prices actually go down...bikes are primarily a leisure time activity.

veloduffer
03-19-2011, 09:10 AM
My first road bike (frame's still in storage) was one of the Allez steel frames from the mid-90's. Fantastic frame. Loved it and would never sell it.

That bike's a bargain if it rides half as well.

+1 A real gem of a lugged steel frame - worthy of a repaint, as the original paint really didn't highlight it well atmo. My wife rode one until a large Buick decided to hit. T'was a shame it died, but she replaced it with a Rivendell.

Scott Shire
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
That Serotta is busted.

I was just browsing really quick through the usual ebay searches; I didn't even look at the auctions :o :o

Later that day I saw a thread about another garage door opener victim, pointing to the same auction. Sorry! :p

EricEstlund
03-19-2011, 11:52 PM
No worries, but I have seen "new" acquisitions in similar shape Sometimes people just don't know what not to buy- for those folks entry level bikes have a great place.

Ray
03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
My first road bike was a red Allez, lugged though, from the early '90s. Great little frame. Rode it to death for a couple of seasons and then had a better idea of what I wanted (and that this road biking thing had legs, so to speak). Then sold it for about what I paid. No regrets at all. I wouldn't have had a CLUE what to buy in a used Serotta or Litespeed or anything else at that point. The LBS got me started on the right foot. There was a limit to what they could do after I was in it for a few years, other than order the stuff I asked them for, but this bike was a great starter. Did my first centuries on it and didn't really know how much I was missing until I got something quite a bit more matched to my wants/needs, once I knew what those were.

-Ray