PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hilton Head Island vacation

Dave B
03-18-2011, 06:53 AM
I am looking for a bit of guidance regarding a summer vacation with my family. We are looking for two rooms (or more) on or around the 23 to 31st of July.

I lived there several years ago when I was an intern, but we were housed in a crappy hotel, so I didn't get the best lay of the land. i worked in Shipyard and know that well, but if anyone has any advice on where to stay that isn't over the top expensive then I would love to hear more.

I am taking my wife, daughter (6 years old) and mother (67). Close to a beach would be ideal and a pool would be nice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xjoex
03-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I spend a lot of time in Kiawah Island not too far from Hilton Head, its a great place to vacation, tons of nature, you can go everywhere by beach cruiser, which they rent by the week, and everything is within walking distance of the beach and a pool. In case you wanted to check out an alternative

-Joe

davidlee
03-18-2011, 06:59 AM
I might be biased since I live here, but I'd come visit Charleston in a flash over Hilton Head.. You could stay out on Isle of Palms and come into D-town at night for food and festivities.
:)
david lee

FlashUNC
03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Another proponent of Charleston here. If you do make a visit to Charleston, you have to go to Jestine's Kitchen.

The fried chicken is unbelieveably good.

BCS
03-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I might be biased since I live here, but I'd come visit Charleston in a flash over Hilton Head.. You could stay out on Isle of Palms and come into D-town at night for food and festivities.
david lee
+1. Had a great family vacation at Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms last summer.

xjoex
03-18-2011, 08:18 AM
david lee

I totally agree, that is why we go to Kiawah, it is only 30 minutes from downtown Charleston. We hang out at the beach all day and go in for dinner once or twice a week.

I'll be moving there as soon as grad school is done next May.

-Joe

Dave B
03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
thanks folks, any actual advice on HHI? :beer:

rnhood
03-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I guess Hilton Head is nice if you like to spend big money and play golf. Of course there is the beach but, its no different from the beach at most other places in SC. Frankly, in my opinion the best thing about Hilton is that it isn't too far from Charleston. As others have said, there is lots to see and do there, and there is plenty of beach too.

Fixed
03-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Elizabeth Stride, the notorious Black Angel lives there with Martin Kessler
be careful but they are cool
cheers

Dave B
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Elizabeth Stride, the notorious Black Angel lives there with Martin Kessler
be careful but they are cool
cheers

When I graduated College I moved there for an internship for this terrible company RR&TM, I ended up being a glorified pool boy trying to pimp out their adventures they were th emiddlemen for...they gave us $150/month and a place to live and if we got another job we were fired. The locals knew about how poorly we were treated and literally gave us stuff like food vouchers etc. Reminds me of pledgeship. The most fun you never want to have again.

While there I frequented Casey's sports bar. janeane garofalo's uncle "Tony" owned is and was very cool with us, $1 drafts and $.10 wings 24/7. I bought Gene Wilder (The best Willy Wanka) a beer once. Very nice guy, but didn't like the attention very much.

HHI is expensive for sure, but when I was there I had a blast. I am trying to convice the family to look else where, but so far no luck. I am going to look into Charleston to find something as what i can find on HHI is wicked expensive and I know tourists are charged more then locals for meals and stuff, so maybe finding a new place isn't such a bad idea.