PDA

View Full Version : OT: NPR Assault

soul survivor
03-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Just spent the last hour watching C-Span replayng today's attack on NPR in the House. This witch-hunt against facts, truth and culture -- which will save NO MONEY FOR THE TAXPAYER -- is the best evidence yet that Washington is simply clueless.

Louis
03-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Taxpayer money spent on things they agree with are fine. Just don't spend it on anything they dislike, that's without doubt a sign of a commie/pinko/fag takeover of the government

firerescuefin
03-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Not baiting anyone, but I don't understand why we should continue to subsidize NPR. It's no longer an access issue. Educate me.

maxdog
03-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Absolutely amazing at how efficient our elected officials are at spending our money.

1happygirl
03-17-2011, 11:43 PM
A former NPR and PBS commentator, Medved? I think tells a story of how he worked hard to get a sponsor for his show. Ford? I think agreed and made a 20 sec? or 10 sec spot with James Earl Jones or some fantastic well know voice showing the truck going up the mountain. It was like a 2 yr/7 mil deal but he said at that time management had a rule against showing circles moving or something, which included tires. They (pbs) pulled the spot and Ford pulled out. He said even at the time he was employed there, he believed the government should step out of it. He felt that they could make more $$$ with hustling private sponsorship. I listen to NPR and PBS and not really sure how I feel, but I do see that all other countries seem to have a subsidized broadcast system otoh.
With all the problems in the country and the minuscule amount of money involved here with NPR relative to the overall, I can't believe they spent time on this at this point in history.

Louis
03-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Not baiting anyone, but I don't understand why we should continue to subsidize NPR. It's no longer an access issue. Educate me.

All you have to do is scan the AM, FM, or XM dial and compare what you get there to what you get from NPR / PRI and you'll have the answer.

dekindy
03-18-2011, 03:08 AM
Why not let listeners vote with their pocketbooks instead of government subsidies? If it is so important to people they will support it. Same with the arts. As far as cost, it all adds up. A penny saved is a penny earned. Keep adding it up and pretty soon it is real money.

I wonder how popular the NFL and other professional sports would be if the actual fans had to pay the full price without subsidies.

swt
03-18-2011, 04:44 AM
There is such a thing as a public good.

soulspinner
03-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Why not let listeners vote with their pocketbooks instead of government subsidies? If it is so important to people they will support it. Same with the arts. As far as cost, it all adds up. A penny saved is a penny earned. Keep adding it up and pretty soon it is real money.

I wonder how popular the NFL and other professional sports would be if the actual fans had to pay the full price without subsidies.

The funding for my daughters school which is an arts school is being cut 31 percent. Most of that is cuts to arts music etc. Did I mention this is the best performing school academically out of over 40 schools.
If you want no music, no dance, no theater et al you are on the right track...........

William
03-18-2011, 05:08 AM
1.) It's a way for legislators make it look like they are doing something without really doing something. That way they can put off the really tough decisions.

This witch-hunt against facts, truth and culture

2.) With all the spinning the left and right do on a daily basis, we can't have reasoned middle of the road reporting going on. :no:

Just add this to the daily assault leading to the dumbing of America. Remember....The less you know, the more you believe. :rolleyes:

William

Elefantino
03-18-2011, 05:16 AM
Big deal. It'll never get by the Senate. This is just puffery and red meat for the folks back home.

What's truly troubling is that NPR is seen as some sort of leftist organization. It's not MSNBC, or even close to it. But these days, if you're not with us, you're with the terrorists.

Or something like that.

93legendti
03-18-2011, 05:28 AM
What constitutionally enumerated power allows Congress to fund NPR?

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 05:28 AM
All you have to do is scan the AM, FM, or XM dial and compare what you get there to what you get from NPR / PRI and you'll have the answer.

truth, i would be lost without NPR.

dekindy
03-18-2011, 05:29 AM
The funding for my daughters school which is an arts school is being cut 31 percent. Most of that is cuts to arts music etc. Did I mention this is the best performing school academically out of over 40 schools.
If you want no music, no dance, no theater et al you are on the right track...........

They won't pay for it but you know better and make them pay for it. Did I mention that the taxpayers cannot afford it?

dekindy
03-18-2011, 05:29 AM
truth, i would be lost without NPR.

Lost enough to pay for it?

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 05:30 AM

i do pay for it.

SamIAm
03-18-2011, 05:30 AM
It's not MSNBC, or even close to it. Or something like that.

I would agree with this statement. But does it lean left even if just a little?

Why should my tax dollars be spent to support an agenda that is counter to what I believe? Maybe if NPR wants to go apolitical (like this board was supposed to be), I could get behind some public dollars for it. But to me it is not much different that the government appropriating $1 from me and sending 60c to the democrats and 40c to the republicans. And I don't think any news oganization anywhere can get me to 50/50.

Elefantino
03-18-2011, 05:41 AM
A lot of us do, during pledge drives. We become members.

And I sort of like the fact that the government helps pay a small amount toward an organization that, as part of its mission, takes a critical look at the news.

Of course, because eight of the last 10 years were Bush years, and because of the decisions made during his tenure that merited critical looks, a lot of people in Congress want to defund because they disagree with NPR.

However, NPR has also taken critical looks at the Obama administration for the last two years, particularly in regard to his waffling and apparent lack of leadership on many issues and promises. I like that, too.

I wonder, finally, how many people who decry NPR ever listen to NPR. I think many of those people drive old, rusting Ford Pintos with AM radios only. Not to be stereotypical. :rolleyes:

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 05:44 AM
A lot of us do, during pledge drives. We become members.

correct

jischr
03-18-2011, 05:56 AM
"Why should my tax dollars be spent to support an agenda that is counter to what I believe?"

If that were possible we would probably have gotten out of the middle east 8 years, several thousand lives, and a couple trillion dollars ago. But we have elected officials to represent us and do what we want them to do,,,right?

troymac
03-18-2011, 05:56 AM
We are broke as a country the federal government has no money as we speak. You can argue for your specific cause or program but were broke. We either borrow the money from some foreign source or print the money and devalue what assets we have. I know the answer is not to spend more money. The polititions dont agree with this and they continue to spend our money as
well as our kids and future generations wealth. But we have ourselves to blame as we have elected them and allowed this to happen.

ergott
03-18-2011, 06:10 AM
We didn't vote for them. Corporate and other special interest money did. Money puts them on the ballot in the first place.

NPR didn't break us. We are nickel-and-diming here. Spending trillions of dollars poking our noses where they didn't belong did.

I haven't heard a single story about interest in cutting out defense spending. Let's take a hard look at defense like we are looking at health and human services.

dancinkozmo
03-18-2011, 06:27 AM
We didn't vote for them. Corporate and other special interest money did. Money puts them on the ballot in the first place.

NPR didn't break us. We are nickel-and-diming here. Spending trillions of dollars poking our noses where they didn't belong did.

I haven't heard a single story about interest in cutting out defense spending. Let's take a hard look at defense like we are looking at health and human services.

+1...they are going after guppies instead of the whales (medicare, defense,social security)

sg8357
03-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Gates has cut the 2nd F35 engine and some other stuff out of the defense
budget. Marines lost their jet ski apc etc. Gates is a good egg, spends money
on stuff we actually use, not so much on the gold plated jobs programs.

Anyway back ot, NPR costs you $1.35 a year in taxes.

I pay more for the local sports stadia than NPR, not even counting tax gimmicks.
I get socialized radio, the republicans get socialized sports, fair trade,
so don't take my NPR.

avalonracing
03-18-2011, 06:42 AM
:crap:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/sports/autoracing/19nascar.html

The Army pays $7.4 million a year to sponsor the racecar and another $8 million for Nascar programs that aid in recruiting. The Army also spends $3.9 million for a National Hot Rod Association sponsorship.

firerescuefin
03-18-2011, 06:47 AM
:crap:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/sports/autoracing/19nascar.html

The Army pays $7.4 million a year to sponsor the racecar and another $8 million for Nascar programs that aid in recruiting. The Army also spends $3.9 million for a National Hot Rod Association sponsorship.

It's called recruiting, and it comes from the recruiting budget. If their turnover wasn't so high due to 18-24 month deployments every 3.5 years and kids getting blown in half, then they wouldn't have to try to appeal to the Nascar fanbase to fill the positions so that those on the bicycling forums won't have to. This topic has run its course.

93legendti
03-18-2011, 06:47 AM
NPR says government funding makes up less than 2 percent of it budget, with the rest coming from station fees, sponsorships and grants. In October 2010, the radio network received $1.8 million from billionaire investor George Soros to hire journalists to cover legislatures in all 50 states.

Even NPR fundraising chief Ron Schiller agrees that defunding is proper:

“It is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding.”

Consider this admission made by Bob Garfield, the co-host of NPR’s On the Media:

“If you were to somehow poll the political orientation of everybody in the NPR news organization and all of the member stations, you would find an overwhelmingly progressive, liberal crowd.”

oldpotatoe
03-18-2011, 06:48 AM

All this yakking about the gov't not spending enough is a waste of time until 2 things happen..increased revenue and decreased spending on entitlement programs and defense.

BUT it's politics and getting re-elected is more important than tackling the real issues. Neither side wants to say it first even tho they all know it's the right thing to do.

This whole NPR thing has flared because of the BS hidden, much edited tape..it happened with Juan Williams after he said some stoopid things...

It has nothing to do with saving the $.

JMerring
03-18-2011, 06:49 AM
But does it lean left even if just a little?

i don't think it does. as an example, i have a cousin-in-law who is as red as they come in a state that is as red as they come. he listens to (and "loves" - his words, not mine) npr on his daily commute to and from work, but wasn't aware of its alleged liberal bias until i told him that npr allegedly has a strong liberal bias.

93legendti
03-18-2011, 06:54 AM
NPR officials fired Juan Williams, claiming that Williams' comments "were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR," according to the network's Web site.

I guess NPR hoped we didn't remember 1994, when airing the views of a convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal were consistent with the network's "editorial practices and standards." Abu-Jamal was convicted and sentenced to death in 1982. So in 1994 the producer of NPR's show "All Things Considered" thought it would be a great idea to have Abu-Jamal give monthly commentaries about prison life. He was to be paid $175 per broadcast.

NPR lets Nina Totenberg, NPR’s Legal Affairs correspondent, go on a Sunday talk show each week and spout all sorts of "stupid things". She said this about Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina:

If there was “retributive justice,” in the world, Ms. Totenberg said, Jesse Helms would “get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will get it.”

ergott
03-18-2011, 07:11 AM
NPR officials fired Juan Williams, claiming that Williams' comments "were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR," according to the network's Web site.

I guess NPR hoped we didn't remember 1994, when airing the views of a convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal were consistent with the network's "editorial practices and standards." Abu-Jamal was convicted and sentenced to death in 1982. So in 1994 the producer of NPR's show "All Things Considered" thought it would be a great idea to have Abu-Jamal give monthly commentaries about prison life. He was to be paid $175 per broadcast.

NPR lets Nina Totenberg, NPR’s Legal Affairs correspondent, go on a Sunday talk show each week and spout all sorts of "stupid things". She said this about Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina:

If there was “retributive justice,” in the world, Ms. Totenberg said, Jesse Helms would “get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will get it.”

Interesting points I don't disagree with. I will say however that I never liked Juan Williams work.

michael white
03-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Mozart in rush hour:

one of the best investments we could possibly make. I don't know about news bias: I very rarely pay attention to any news anyway, especially every single bit of news ever read on TV by idiotic, artificially tan male or female bimbos on Fox or any other pathetic network for pathetic fools.

But the music and all the other fine arts matter--without which we are a much poorer republic. Yes, we pay for these things, just as we pay for the Smithsonian museums and all great art, because unlike TV the arts ennoble us, and lift us as a people, and truly make us what we are.

1happygirl
03-18-2011, 07:18 AM
I heard the actual funding NPR receives from the government is 2% of their budget, so if you finish subsidizing them, which wouldn't actually hurt their programming.

michael white
03-18-2011, 07:19 AM
And ps to my above:

this is why the "assault" on NPR is an empty gesture made by Republican jerks trying to placate their somewhat-less-than-well-rounded constituents, which everyone in the House who voted for it, and everyone else who reads and thinks knows already has no chance of ever passing the Senate, and is therefore not even worth talking about, much less paying for cynical, professional politicians to show up and vote for it.

ergott
03-18-2011, 07:20 AM
I heard the actual funding NPR receives from the government is 2% of their budget, so if you finish subsidizing them, which wouldn't actually hurt their programming.

The argument is that those cuts will hurt the stations that broadcast in more rural areas much more than the larger stations.

bicycletricycle
03-18-2011, 07:23 AM
I like NPR and I do think that it is one of the more fair news outlets widely available. It does lean to the left and it does constantly editorialize, (just like all modern news outlets). I think that a publicly funded non commercialized news outlet is important. The large corporate news outlets don't seem to be doing a good job, they just seem to be pumping out controversial opinions and very few facts to pump up ratings (Glenn Beck is not news). I would like to see NPR clean up their act a little, maybe be a little more like the BBC. More facts, less opinions.

It is a little silly to pretend that the motivations of commercial interests are compatible with the unbiased reporting of the truth.

If the "problem" is not the public funding of news but the public funding of biased news then we should just make NPR clean up their act.

ergott
03-18-2011, 07:24 AM
As a casual listener I will say that PR is much more than just news to me. A lot of their work is in entertaining shows like Car Talk and Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me. They play and discuss interesting music and Talk of the Nation, Science Friday is excellent if not over my head most of the time.

It's those broadcasts that have no equal on radio or even TV.

AngryScientist
03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Science Friday .

i am totally hooked on WNYCs "RadioLab" - awesome stuff.

fiamme red
03-18-2011, 07:29 AM
I wonder how popular the NFL and other professional sports would be if the actual fans had to pay the full price without subsidies.I haven't been to a baseball game in over 20 years, and yet the taxes I pay to the city helped subsidize new stadiums for the Yankees and Mets.

1happygirl
03-18-2011, 07:33 AM
maybe be a little more like the BBC. More facts, less opinions.

Haha, I think they call them newsreaders? over there instead of reporters or newscasters?
Anyway its just like my budget, I can still have a car (car talk), wait wait don't tell me (phone) etc just not with an airplane, I just have to budget different. I have a friend who can't stand the monotone (see SNL skit for a spoof) of NPR and won't ride in the car if I decide to play NPR. Hahahah. So they feel, and I guess I understand, if they don't like it, or use it, they say why should they be forced to fund it with their tax dollars. I don't know, I just guess like I said I'm mad that of all the things they could concentrate on at this time, they pick this.

michael white
03-18-2011, 07:34 AM
I haven't been to a baseball game in over 20 years, and yet the taxes I pay to the city helped subsidize new stadiums for the Yankees and Mets.

No doubt if our Republican representatives had their way, we'd shift funding from the arts and news to Nascar and WWF.

johnnymossville
03-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I like NPR and overlook it's leftist bias for the most part because I enjoy some of the other things they do. This wouldn't even be an issue if they were more centrist. The latest NPR sting was probably the least shocking video I've ever seen. We all know how leftists feel about the Tea Party. I'm pretty sure most leftists wouldn't want tax dollars going to fund Fox News and it's programs.

I feel pretty much the same way about The New York Times. Great Paper, except for the Editorial pages.

Mr. Squirrel
03-18-2011, 07:41 AM
dear friends,
i received government funding to write and publish my new book. mr. gingrich and mr. frank both loved it. it is a fun story about how you would be nuts to touch my wheels. now available on kindle.

mr. squirrel

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tjHs5PjaiNs/TRiz486RUuI/AAAAAAAANdY/cm4Wx3q1fIk/s1600/00000000000squirrel.jpg

nahtnoj
03-18-2011, 08:21 AM
I would agree with this statement. But does it lean left even if just a little?

Why should my tax dollars be spent to support an agenda that is counter to what I believe? Maybe if NPR wants to go apolitical (like this board was supposed to be), I could get behind some public dollars for it. But to me it is not much different that the government appropriating $1 from me and sending 60c to the democrats and 40c to the republicans. And I don't think any news oganization anywhere can get me to 50/50.

I don't think so. I think it leans artistic, intellectual, curious, worldly, etc. These words that are not easily associated with mainstream conservatism is 2011. That NPR is somehow liberal I think says more about the regression of the conservative movement than anything else.

I did some math a few weeks ago. Public broadcasting costs about 75 cents per US citizen. The defense budget costs somewhere between $3,800 and $6,000 depending on whether wars, domestic security, intelligence, etc are included in "defense".

So, in bike terms, its like buying a Meivici with Lightweights and Super Record for 20K then worrying about spending an extra 20 cents for black cable caps instead of silver.

avalonracing
03-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I don't think so. I think it leans artistic, intellectual, curious, worldly, etc. These words that are not easily associated with mainstream conservatism is 2011. That NPR is somehow liberal I think says more about the regression of the conservative movement than anything else.

There are also reports showing that the average NPR listener is better educated in current events (and has the facts correct) than those who watch Fox et al.

I can understand why certain people/political parties find this threatening.

firerescuefin
03-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Good to see that people aren't making overgeneralizations and keeping things civil (sarcasm inserted). This thread illustrates why the Mods shut these things down before they start.....Pathetic.

gdw
03-18-2011, 08:36 AM
"Good to see that people aren't making overgeneralizations and keeping things civil (sarcasm inserted). This thread illustrates why the Mods shut these things down before they start.....Pathetic."

The mods are biased and should be stripped of their government funding.

thwart
03-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Can't say much more than has been said here, but stopping funding for NPR sure looks like yet another example of an agenda being pushed under the ruse of budgetary constraints.

Clear Channel and their multiple related interests have more and more sway in national media nowadays. I think NPR sounds very left-leaning to those who spend most of their day listening to Clear Channel outlets, or Fox News.

It's all your frame of reference.

michael white
03-18-2011, 08:37 AM
:"

The mods are biased and should be stripped of their government funding.

I'll write my congressman! :)

johnnymossville
03-18-2011, 08:41 AM
I'll write my congressman! :)

Who is our congressman?

*gets out pen and paper* :)

soul survivor
03-18-2011, 08:56 AM
They won't pay for it but you know better and make them pay for it. Did I mention that the taxpayers cannot afford it?

Taxpayers CAN'T afford it? Bull???? -- we're wasting billions of dollars on true BS -- education is not BS.

2LeftCleats
03-18-2011, 08:59 AM
It's unfortunate that only a small fraction of dedicated NPR listeners see fit to contribute to their local stations. If most did, I think this might be a nonissue. Ultimately, I think an alternative funding source might be preferable. Seems that anytime someone on NPR missteps, there's an outcry in congress (even in better economic times) and talk about defunding. (Similarly, whenever someone produces controversial art, there's talk of cutting NEA funds). So if there were an independent fund--foundation, trust fund--that could supply the operating funds indefinitely without being subject to the frivolous whims of congress, I believe this would be better. Perhaps extend the pledge drives and divert a portion to such a fund, which over time could be self-sustaining. ( Or get a grant from Bill Gates).

This sidesteps the underlying question of whether the government should fund such things as the arts (I think so), and whether schools should fund beyond the 3 Rs and football. Anything we can do as a society to open minds and enhance creativity is in the public interest.

soul survivor
03-18-2011, 08:59 AM
We are broke as a country the federal government has no money as we speak. You can argue for your specific cause or program but were broke. We either borrow the money from some foreign source or print the money and devalue what assets we have. I know the answer is not to spend more money. The polititions dont agree with this and they continue to spend our money as
well as our kids and future generations wealth. But we have ourselves to blame as we have elected them and allowed this to happen.

No we're NOT broke -- as in many years in the past, the fed gov't runs a deficit -- that's not a reason to abdicate responsibility -- the real answer is to carefully balance potential investments based on worth -- not to just cry poverty. Think about it.

Ahneida Ride
03-18-2011, 09:27 AM
NPR = National Propagandize Radio.

Never ONCE do they thank the taxpayer ....... it's public radio but somehow
"federal" funding. as if the frns just grow on trees.

Imagine Fox news being "federal" taxpayer supported. Ha !

NPR = an attack on our future as a free Constitutional Republic.

The President of the local PBS station makes over 160K.
So much for concept of non-profit.

We "borrow" 4 billion per day. http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
About half we get from our Japan and China. The fed just creates the
rest outa thin air. We get diluted alive .... 4 frn/gal gas is just around
the corner.

It's time for this ATTACK on our children futures to stop.

93legendti
03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Interesting points I don't disagree with. I will say however that I never liked Juan Williams work.
I don't like his work either!

But, I don't like why he was fired, especially because few would accuse Juan of being a bigot; he wasn't given a chance to explain himself to NPR and after his statement he added that

"all Americans have to be careful not to let fears lead to the violation of anyone’s constitutional rights, be it to build a mosque, carry the Koran or drive a New York cab without the fear of having your throat slashed."

And he and O'Reilly argued and Juan said O'Reilly has to take care in the way he talks about the 9/11 attacks so as not to provoke bigotry.

There's more to the story than Juan expressing his fear:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/10/21/juan-williams-npr-fired-truth-muslim-garb-airplane-oreilly-ellen-weiss-bush/

thwart
03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey, Ray---how do you really feel... ? ;)

Having done my share here, this thread reminds me why we never talk politics on a group ride.

benb
03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Let's get out of the middle east and cut the House of Representatives, Senators, and the Executive Branch's salaries to 0 first.

We can't afford to pay a bunch of losers who are already multi-millionaires 6 figure salaries with Cadillac benefits.

We can save $76 million if we cut the House of Representatives salaries.

Cutting the senators salaries would save another $18 million or so.

We know Obama is a wealthy man already.. we can go ahead and cut his salary too.

Who knows how much their benefits and pensions are worth...

NPRs entire budget was only $140 million in 2010 so this should more then cover the small portion they get from the Feds currently.

Fixed
03-18-2011, 09:46 AM
npr who needs it ? while you are at it get rid of anything to do with art and culture waste of time and money .. books who needs them waste of your time just fills your head with dreams that are not important ..

cheers

soul survivor
03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I like NPR and overlook it's leftist bias for the most part because I enjoy some of the other things they do. This wouldn't even be an issue if they were more centrist. The latest NPR sting was probably the least shocking video I've ever seen. We all know how leftists feel about the Tea Party. I'm pretty sure most leftists wouldn't want tax dollars going to fund Fox News and it's programs.

I feel pretty much the same way about The New York Times. Great Paper, except for the Editorial pages.

And what do you think of the WSJ Editorial page?

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Good to see that people aren't making overgeneralizations and keeping things civil (sarcasm inserted). This thread illustrates why the Mods shut these things down before they start.....Pathetic.

. . and that's why I'm shutting it down now. Let's move on, folks. All of your sniping at each other--civil and otherwise--is NOT going to solve this issue one way or the other.

It's spring. surely SOME of you live places where the weather is good enough now to actually go out and ride? . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

Pete Serotta
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
for understanding other views

BUT a far better way of saving money could be stripping the planes and perks away from congress and then using it for education :crap: :crap: Probably a lot of money. We hear salaries and # of gvt workers should be decreased but I am still looking for a reduction in perks and salaries to the managers of the government or meaningful non partisan actions to be completed ( :confused: :D ;) PETE

Please feel free to open another one but NPR has been pretty well covered from many sides.