PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts on fixed

rustychisel
03-16-2011, 08:52 PM
... no, not about you mate, just something to share. :beer:

In another post about something entirely different, TI Designs wrote

"I try not to make cycling about the bike. If the bike does it's job, cycling is really about the rider. By percentage, how much better is the most expensive bike than an entry level road bike? Not much. So, if you're going to ride the bike, get something you like the ride of and be done with it..."

and it got me musing because it's thoughtful, prescient and a well made point. But when I'm riding my fixed gear bike on a 60km round trip to the beach for a leisurely coffee, at least some of the time it is all about the bike.

I'll repeat that: It is about the bike.

Next time someone asks why I ride a fixed gear machine that will be my answer. Fixed gear riding is about working with what you have, and to a point working with those confines, but more importantly, it's a different way of cycling. Not massively different: there is no 'zen' feeling or anything like that, but it employs slightly different technique, some other muscles, your handling capabilities on the bike had better be up to scratch (try moderating your speed as you approach a narrow bridge, or spin up to hook in behind a passing truck and you know exactly what I mean).

If I were riding a cycle which had merely been converted to single speed this would not be the case. It has to be a fixed gear, in the right gear for my leg speed. But that again means it is all about the bike, about it being right for me. There is no moderation possible (I can't change gears) when I'm mid-ride since there is not what DesGrange referred to as the 'artifice of the derailleur', I have to rely on my riding style and the bike itself.

I'm not a luddite, I have and ride geared bikes.

What I'm trying to explain is that riding a fixed gear bike is a different way of cycling, neither mystical nor zen, nor hard. It just is. :confused:

AngryScientist
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
i'm with you rusty.

i recently read where a leading pro coach was asked what makes pro's better than joes [totally butchering and paraphrasing here].

the answer was "they pedal more".

sounds wildly simple, but true, and on a fixed gear, i appreciate that i know from point A to point B, i pedaled the whole entire way, i didnt coast for 1/10th of a mile.

riding fixed is riding, pedaling for every millimeter of road, whether you need to or not, and i believe that teaches me to be a better cyclist, regardless of the bike i'm on.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/hovisbrown/gear395.jpg

oliver1850
03-16-2011, 09:45 PM

bicycletricycle
03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
i ride a bike a lot, it is fun to have a variety of experiences when i go out, my fixed gear bicycles are part of that variety, so is my bob jackson tricycle.

TimmyB
03-17-2011, 04:43 AM
75 gear inches. How does that compare with the gearing you guys ride? Sounds about right to me. Most people I know push in the 70-80gi range. I know a couple guys that get down to the 65/68ish range though... too spiny for my taste. Like anything, YMMV based on riding style / goal.

TimmyB
03-17-2011, 04:45 AM
my bob jackson tricycle.
Pictures please!! Feel free to PM as to not derail the thread :beer:

Fixed
03-17-2011, 05:14 AM
sometimes the best things
in life are the simple things
cheers

nice post

ahumblecycler
03-17-2011, 06:55 AM
I don't buy the argument that fixed makes one a better cyclist. The mindset to become a better cyclist leads one down the path to become a better cyclist.

I also don't buy the notion that one does not coast on a fixed ... seriously? Anyone can coast on anything, and anyone can pedal the entire length on anything. Again, it comes down to one's mindset!

If people enjoy their fixies, by all means enjoy them and any other bike for that manner. But I do not believe anyone should try to portray a particular bike (or anything for that matter) as superior :no:

salem
03-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't buy the argument that fixed makes one a better cyclist. The mindset to become a better cyclist leads one down the path to become a better cyclist.

I also don't buy the notion that one does not coast on a fixed ... seriously? Anyone can coast on anything, and anyone can pedal the entire length on anything. Again, it comes down to one's mindset!

If people enjoy their fixies, by all means enjoy them and any other bike for that manner. But I do not believe anyone should try to portray a particular bike (or anything for that matter) as superior :no:

First paragraph: I'll agree that no tool makes a better mechanic, user, cyclist, etc, but sometimes it can facilitate a new learning experience. That's more how I read the original post.

Second paragraph: I've seen this before; there are a lot of people who don't understand that "single speed" and "fixed gear" are not interchangeable. To explain, a fixed gear is like a kid's Big Wheel, with no mechanism for freewheeling or coasting. If the rear wheel is moving, the pedals are moving, in either direction.

Last: If anyone (here) said fixed is superior, I honestly missed it. Sure, you can find that sentiment, but all I read was "different," and with that, I'll concur. I really like what I can best describe as the "flywheel" effect of a fixed gear on dirt roads.

AngryScientist
03-17-2011, 07:11 AM
I also don't buy the notion that one does not coast on a fixed ... seriously?

while i'm not advocating riding fixed is at all "superior" to any other form of riding, just different, i can assure you, if your riding a fixed gear bike - you're not coasting, i encourage you to try it, and let me know how it turns out :)

Fixed
03-17-2011, 07:13 AM
i didn't read superior anywhere in his post .just different just like leaning to ride a mt.bike or a bmx,t.t. or cross bike can teach lessons that carry over to your road bike thats all imho
cheers

ahumblecycler
03-17-2011, 07:17 AM
I admit my mistake of interchanging single speed and fixed. I actually do know the difference, but I did not apply my knowledge - my bad.

I will make my quiet exit now and promise no further interruptions.

Cheerio

AngryScientist
03-17-2011, 07:22 AM
I admit my mistake of interchanging single speed and fixed. I actually do know the difference, but I did not apply my knowledge - my bad.

I will make my quiet exit now and promise no further interruptions.

Cheerio

no worries brother, i will admit that is amusing when i'm riding the fixed gear bike, and getting tired that something in the back of my mind forgets what i'm doing and tells me to "just coast" - and then i literally get jolted back to reality.

ahumblecycler
03-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks! :beer:

benb
03-17-2011, 09:46 AM
I would actually argue you can still "coast" just by letting your legs go for the ride... it's not as easy as low effort as coasting with a freewheel but it's still a lot easier then walking/running.

Just cause it's fixed doesn't mean you're hammering the whole time.

After riding fixed for a while I rarely coast on freewheel bikes.. it sure is nice for big downhills though.

axel23
03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
We rode fixies in Oregon quite a while back. Front brake only, 75" gear, excellent for training as you describe. No freewheeling, and definitely kept your legs churning. Struggle going uphill, major burn going down - so we generally avoided hills. Mostly these were cast-off track bikes from Alpenrose.

And since we're on the subject, traditional rollers are another great training tool. While you can coast (briefly), they are demanding in their own right. Far better for developing bike handling skills than turbo trainers.

dawgie
03-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I rarely coast on my freewheel bikes either but understand the difference. Two years ago, I had a frame built up with a SS/fixed rear wheel. I rode it one time fixed, and that was enough for me. It scared me to death and I felt like I was riding the brakes half the time. Downhills were the worst.

I quickly switched the hub to single-speed and really enjoyed riding the bike. However, it did a number on my knees and I converted the bike back to 9-speed after a few months. I'm one of these people who need a good warm up period when cycling or my knees start hurting, but it is nearly impossible to properly warm up on a SS/fixe around here due to the hills. You have to charge the hills from the get-go, and doing that is what hurt my knees.

Fixed
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
W
And since we're on the subject, traditional rollers are another great training tool. While you can coast (briefly), they are demanding in their own right. Far better for developing bike handling skills than turbo trainers.
+1

often overlooked rollers are great for lots of things balance for one ,in the older rider this can help a lot as do learning to do track stands and mt bike riding
imho
cheer

Ti Designs
03-17-2011, 02:39 PM
This winter I found plenty of places to coast on my fixed gear. Snow, ice, sand, wet leaves... All these things allow you to take a break from turning the pedals. My advice is to do it mostly in a straight line, and not on tires with metal studs... And don't forget, if you find yourself in the air on your fixed gear, there are big style points for turning the cranks backwards.

As much as this thread is about a type of bike, riding a fixed gear is, if anything, less about the bike. Eliminating the freewheel connects the rider to the ground. After a while of riding a fixed gears new skills form, the rider figures out how to do more with the pedals than was possible with a geared bike. I don't think about controlling my speed on my fixed gear, it just sorta happens.

rustychisel
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
oliver1850

I have done as you did - ride in one gear and assess my needs, and without knowing your style, cadence and riding conditions (ie hills etc) I offer the following as being good for me in the 70~72in range

42x16
40x15
48x18

I spin and I sprint. These gears (different bikes) get me away from traffic lights fast, allow me to cruise on the flat at 32kmh, get up some moderate short hills and most importantly, still get home on the last 20km of a 100km ride when my legs feel dead and there's a headwind all the way. If you're going to ride fixed gear for any real distance that last point is important, 'cause you need a gear which will work for you and get you home. Big gear egos should be parked outside.

This winter I found plenty of places to coast on my fixed gear. Snow, ice, sand, wet leaves... All these things allow you to take a break from turning the pedals. My advice is to do it mostly in a straight line, and not on tires with metal studs... And don't forget, if you find yourself in the air on your fixed gear, there are big style points for turning the cranks backwards.

As much as this thread is about a type of bike, riding a fixed gear is, if anything, less about the bike. Eliminating the freewheel connects the rider to the ground. After a while of riding a fixed gears new skills form, the rider figures out how to do more with the pedals than was possible with a geared bike. I don't think about controlling my speed on my fixed gear, it just sorta happens.

See, we'll disagree a little on the bike vs cyclist point, but that may be semantics at work. What is certain is that our realities differ. I don't do snow, don't do ice, never seen a studded tyre. Don't do skids either, come to that.

Winter? Meh, some rain. But in the spirit of wordplay, I don't really believe the stuff about 'eliminating the freewheel and connection to the ground'. I don't feel more in touch, or less so than any other ride. Just different. There's a substantially greater difference in riding fixed gear on the road then taking it to the velodrome. Board riding is a massive smack in the chops for your confidence and skills if you've never done it before, and it feels way different. Truth is, of course, it's all about the pedalling; no-one wants to be pedalling squares, which is what riding a bike feels like at times.

Coasting? Hell no, you cannot coast on a fixed gear, not by any accepted definition of the word. But you can soft-pedal, one of the most overlooked skills in road cycling these days. Take a break on the bike by letting the drivetrain do the work, just spinning your legs over easy (the flywheel effect). Old timers knew all about soft pedalling, it was the best way to pull off slick smooth quiet gear changes and still be able to jump into an attack. On a friction shifting bike it's still the only way to get a reliable uphill gear change.

HankHornbuckle
03-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Riding a fixed gear is something that simply cannot be imagined, it has to be experienced... It's just like riding a bike, but then again, it's not at all like riding a bike.

Some of these exchanges seem to me to be exactly like the "Nudge, Nudge" sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus, insofar as that the scoffers feign to be in the know, but perhaps just secretly long to understand, "What's it like?".
Otherwise, why even mention it, right? Just stick to one's freewheel bikes and pedal (or coast) along in two-wheeled bliss, in whatsoever gear of one's choosing, at any given moment in space and time!

Well it's not for everybody, that's for certain! Is it for you? You will have to find that out for yourself - or not. I love riding fixed and I love riding free with lots of gears.

Anyway, I'm bored out of my mind at work. I hope no one actually wasted their time reading this. If anyone has, I at least owe you this link. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Incidentally, Elvis Presley was a big Monty Python fan as well, and this is purported to have been his favorite skit. Feel free to imagine The King laughing as you watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ona-RhLfRfc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

john903
03-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Hello, I switched to gears this week and after riding fixed for the past 3 months for base miles what i find is on a fixed bike there is more control. I control my speed by feathering the front brake and resistance on the pedels. When I ride the dirt paths i like the control of the back wheel it "feels" planted i adjust more accordingly to the traction of the trail.
On a fitness note I ride a 68" gear on flats rolling hills, and rolling dirt paths, over the course of winter i rode anywhere from 20mi up to 60mi and never really got sore. This week I rode 3 days same miles and iam pretty sore. I don't know why except fixed riding must use the muscles in just enough different way to cause soreness. Has anyone else ever experianced this having muscle soreness after switching from fixed to gears and riding the same routes?
Well what ever you ride have fun it is finally warming up or at least the rain is not like frozen ice drop, now is is just warm and raining.