PDA

View Full Version : ate crow: butchered B17

eddief
03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
don't try it at home. Had a catastrophic ajustment bolt failure this afternoon. maybe due to just the age of saddle, but maybe due to the increased leverage put on the system by butchering the leather. attempt only at your own risk. egg on face eddief. "tried and failed better than never having tried?"

waiting for the socalsteve approach set to arrive from VO in a couple of days.

fiamme red
03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Had a catastrophic ajustment bolt failure this afternoon.While riding?

eddief
03-16-2011, 02:35 PM
rain stopped, wanted to ride new saddle. went over bump sat back down and the bolt cracked. will get a new bolt and repair to determine if the mod was responsible or not. but thought i might have tempted others and did not want to lose sleep.

Nooch
03-16-2011, 02:37 PM
and here i was digging your saddle thinking it looked like a classier selle italia flite..

eddief
03-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Told him what I had done to the saddle. He thought most of the time when bolts break they do so cause the adjustment is too loose. I ordered another one and will try again. Keep you posted.

stackie
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
I butchered a Ti Swift years ago before the Swallow was introduced. It failed shortly thereafter with a broken piece up front (don't really remember what broke, but it was not the actual bolt) Replaced the piece and it broke again within a year. My take is don't butcher your Brooks, at least not if you are pushing 200 lbs.

Jon