View Full Version : Dropout screws

rpettet
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Where to get?

Thanks!

AngryScientist
03-16-2011, 01:48 PM
local hardware store?

figure out what threading they are and go pick up some grade 8 stuff.

lurpy
03-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I just ordered a few from Velo Orange.

old_fat_and_slow
03-16-2011, 02:08 PM
$6 plus shipping.

http://www.loosescrews.com/Product_Images/LS-0102SF.jpg

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Misc&sc=Dropouts/Braze%20Ons&tc=Adjusting%20Screws&item_id=LS-0102SF&id=149135632452

oliver1850
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM

oldpotatoe
03-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Where to get?

Thanks!

I have short and long. $4 and Campagnolo ones for $10.

rpettet
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks

Bob Ross
03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Where to get?

I've got a better question:

What's the point?

Seriously, unless your frame is so out-of-true, assymetrical, un-square, bent (etc.) such that you'd need to offset the angle of the rear axle, what's the advantage of dropout screws?

If they're both screwed all the way out, they're doing nothing. If they're both screwed all the way in, they're conceivably giving the skewer less purchase to clamp on. And anywhere in between, they're providing an opportunity for imprecise alignment unless you're super-anal and have some micrometer-like tools.

What are those screws for?!?!?! Adjusting chain tension?

djg21
03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Where to get?

Thanks!

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi

Sorry for the dupe. That's what you get when you respond without reading the entire thread. :crap:

oldpotatoe
03-17-2011, 06:45 AM

What's the point?

Seriously, unless your frame is so out-of-true, assymetrical, un-square, bent (etc.) such that you'd need to offset the angle of the rear axle, what's the advantage of dropout screws?

If they're both screwed all the way out, they're doing nothing. If they're both screwed all the way in, they're conceivably giving the skewer less purchase to clamp on. And anywhere in between, they're providing an opportunity for imprecise alignment unless you're super-anal and have some micrometer-like tools.

They are for aligning the rear wheel axle with the line of the seat stays and for correcting small differences in rear triangle alignment. Even if the frame is perfectly straight, the proper thing to do is have them in.

It's what you do..to leave them out is 'ghetto'...

veloduffer
03-17-2011, 06:48 AM

What's the point?

It looks :cool:

Jeff N.
03-17-2011, 07:00 AM
They are for aligning the rear wheel axle with the line of the dropouts and for correcting small differences in rear triangle alignment. Even if the frame is perfectly straight, the proper thing to do is have them in.
Right. Put 'em in. Leave 'em out and then water will get in and get trapped, cause rust, etc. Jeff N.