PDA

View Full Version : ABG sells Merlin to...

rice rocket
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Competitive Cyclist?!

Bizarre.

iirc, a bunch of framebuilders use Merlin for welding...I wonder how this changes things.

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/competitive-cyclist-buys-merlin-metalworks

AngryScientist
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
very interesting. i think CC is really a class act, maybe they can breath some new life into an all but extinct brand at this point.

i heart my merlin.

bobswire
03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
I think it's great news since ABG had mothballed Merlin. Tom Kellogg may be a good source in defining this acquisition.
I'll have a peek across the hall to see if anything is in the rumor mills.

LegendRider
03-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Wow! Brendan and the CC crew run a first class operation so, if anyone can rescue Merlin, they can. But, I would have never predicted that they'd buy a ti bike company that has been out of favor with the market for years...

avalonracing
03-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Well, it could be the coolest thing ever.

Merlin has been out of favor with the market because ABG didn't know what the hell to do with it. While ABG was making 875 different models of Litespeeds (with almost as many logos) they let Merlin die on the vine. It should have been a no-brainer to market Merlin as a smaller, race or custom brand.

Merlin could end up being a great brand because Competitive Cyclist "Get's it".
I've said before that with the right marketing and branding a good titanium bike company could make huge inroads into the market.

Titanium is a superlative metal for bicycles. If Competitive Cyclist markets a couple of serious race bikes along with a few specialty bikes they can position Merlin as a serious player in the Ti bike field.

The question is will CC allow Merlins to be sold outside of CC venue?

I love my Merlin Works CR. Tom Kellogg designed and Merlin built a fantastically smooth, yet stiff race machine that doesn't rust or blow into pieces from a slight mishap.

BillG
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Great news.

tuxbailey
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Anyway that can distant Merlin from ABG is a positive.

Although mine is an ABG variety.

pitcrew
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=avalonracing] While ABG was making 875 different models of Litespeeds (with almost as many logos) QUOTE]

Zing!

Kirk Pacenti
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
If anyone can do this 'right' it's Brendan and the crew at CC.

Cheers,

KP

bicycletricycle
03-16-2011, 12:45 PM
it is not clear who will be making the frames in the future. could be bad. maybe they will just keep making them there as a sub contractor or maybe someone like seven, that would be nice.

bumknees
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
With all due respect to CC, I hope the frames aren't just Merlin by name, but welded w/cheap labor overseas like Vitus, Masi, etc...

bicycletricycle
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
if they go taiwan, well, i hope they don't. It would be nice to see merlin return to the quality name that it used to be.

victoryfactory
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
If the tooling. people and experience goes with the name
to a US based shop, that could be a positive.

If it's just the name that was sold, look out for another Chinese bike
with a classic name (not necessarily a bad bike, but we've seen this tactic
used many times)

I wonder if CC bought the line and will continue to make them in TN
with new inspiration and marketing? That would be interesting.....

VF

bobswire
03-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Spectrum uses Seven for their brazing now, so...??? Maybe Kellogg will have some input with C.C.?

victoryfactory
03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Steel may be real
and Plastic may be fantastic
but Ti is fly

kinofaucet
03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
I love this new acquisition.

Now I don't have to worry as much if my Merlin Cielo ever breaks on me...

old fat man
03-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I love this new acquisition.

Now I don't have to worry as much if my Merlin Cielo ever breaks on me...

if history is any indication, i would not expect the new owners of the brand to honor a warranty from the old owners. maybe CC will prove this wrong, but i wouldn't hold your breath expecting warranty service from CC for your ABG built Merlin. :bike:

Climb01742
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
i can't imagine brendan and CC doing anything half-*ssed, ill-conceived or poorly-executed.

dimsy
03-16-2011, 03:01 PM
i heart my merlin.

me too, very very much.

dimsy
03-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow! Brendan and the CC crew run a first class operation so, if anyone can rescue Merlin, they can. But, I would have never predicted that they'd buy a ti bike company that has been out of favor with the market for years...

i agree that it's fallen by the wayside within the market. but is it just me, or has every merlin owner fallen in love with their merlin?

Dude
03-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I appreciate everything that the boys at CC are doing/have done. Unless they got a screaaming deal for this, it is a pool allocation of funds. It is very hard to produce a reasonably priced ti frame these days, certainly in the US. There is a reason EVERY other ti manufacturer has either moved on to other materials or aren't producing nearly as many frames. It just isn't a viable, mass market material in the cycling world.

Example: Serotta, Seven, IF, many of the NAHBS exhibitors, are moving away from ti. Heck even Colorado Cyclist has scuttled their Douglas Ti frames.

In my mind, Competitive Cyclist are the Zappos of the bike industry. The ONLY thing they have is service - which is great and helpful - but there is nothing unique about their products. They bought Merlin to have a proprietary product. I hope it does well but my gut says it will be a heavy drain on their resources.

@Dimsy, yes merlin followers are loyal (and rare) but I bet 80% of the people riding their mid-high end bikes out there love them.

dancinkozmo
03-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Steel may be real
and Plastic may be fantastic
but Ti is fly

and aluminum is...uh

zoom

'n um

???

LegendRider
03-17-2011, 06:34 AM
In my mind, Competitive Cyclist are the Zappos of the bike industry. The ONLY thing they have is service - which is great and helpful - but there is nothing unique about their products.

I think that's selling them short. Sure, anything they sell can be found elsewhere, but CC is a unique online retailer. They have an incredible breadth in their product lines - better than Excel, Colorado Cyclist and the British sellers. And, they have unique services like the saddle demo program and shipping fully-built bikes.

dimsy
03-17-2011, 09:45 AM
@Dimsy, yes merlin followers are loyal (and rare) but I bet 80% of the people riding their mid-high end bikes out there love them.

agreed, and fair enough.

AngryScientist
03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
website indicates changes to come:

http://www.merlinbike.com/

tuscanyswe
03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Having just bought a Merlin i sent them a few questions a few weeks back and got the following response. Did not really awnser my questions but atleast something is in the works by the looks of things.

Bjorn,

Thank you for your interest in Merlin bikes. We are still in the process of recreating our lineup so I cannot say yet what models we will continue with and or develop. Please keep checking back into our site and we will begin to reveal our plans for the future.

Thank you,

Zach

Zach Spinhirne-Martin
Merlin bike
info@merlinbike.com

Aaron O
03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
i agree that it's fallen by the wayside within the market. but is it just me, or has every merlin owner fallen in love with their merlin?

I've ridden a lot of nice bikes...but my Merlin still gives me a thrill every time I take it out. I have the press in BB variety, so I'm limited with upgrade options...other than that, it's an absolutely fantastic and fast as heck bike. The Marnati is more comfortable over distance, the Sachs has a more stable ride somehow, but the Merlin is flat out my fastest bike. It also looks as good today as it did in 1991!

avalonracing
03-20-2011, 10:12 PM
website indicates changes to come:

http://www.merlinbike.com/

Best website that they have had in two years.

jlwdm
03-20-2011, 11:32 PM
That is about all the website can say since CC has not decided what to do with the brand yet.

Jeff

Kirk Pacenti
03-21-2011, 06:52 AM
I have the press in BB variety, so I'm limited with upgrade options...

Most good Ti builders could do a BB-ectomy on that frame pretty easily.

Cheers,

KP

oldpotatoe
03-21-2011, 07:08 AM
I appreciate everything that the boys at CC are doing/have done. Unless they got a screaaming deal for this, it is a pool allocation of funds. It is very hard to produce a reasonably priced ti frame these days, certainly in the US. There is a reason EVERY other ti manufacturer has either moved on to other materials or aren't producing nearly as many frames. It just isn't a viable, mass market material in the cycling world.

Example: Serotta, Seven, IF, many of the NAHBS exhibitors, are moving away from ti. Heck even Colorado Cyclist has scuttled their Douglas Ti frames.

In my mind, Competitive Cyclist are the Zappos of the bike industry. The ONLY thing they have is service - which is great and helpful - but there is nothing unique about their products. They bought Merlin to have a proprietary product. I hope it does well but my gut says it will be a heavy drain on their resources.

""There is a reason EVERY other ti manufacturer has either moved on to other materials or aren't producing nearly as many frames. It just isn't a viable, mass market material in the cycling world. ""

Really? Every one?

Moots is all ti, are making more frames then ever. See no need to 'expand' into other materials.

Serotta and IF are seeing a 'challenging sales environment' as they enter into a market awash with carbon, CHEAP carbon at that, well made.

They have done this to address their reduced sales of ti(and steel) frames, in an environment where Moots sales have increased. Gotta wonder why.

Serrota has just seen a major reorganization with the entry of Stan Mavis as did IF with their latest relocation and personel 'movements'.

Not sure how good idea it has been...the phrase, "do one thing and do it well', comes to mind.

All ti frames are alive and well...ask BlackSheep and Moots.

RedRider
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
I have a lot of respect for CC and how they have approached online selling. Manufacturing a quality titanium frame has become more expensive as labor and materials continue to increase. Some of the US builders are buying less expensive and lower spec Ti from China which allows them to hold decent margins. Unfortunately there has been a high failure rate on these frames. In my opinion, CC will make Merlin, a great name, the "house" brand and contract the building to the lowest cost/best quality builder. What these frames will look like and their quality is still unknown. Controlling the entire process will give CC greater margins and by their size control the price of ti frames in the market. They have the reputation, customer base and cash to continue to buy brands for exclusive distribution. If you are an independent bike shop...you have another reason to worry. If you are buying a Ti frame ask where the tubes were manufactured...it's less of a worry who is building them than what they are building them with...

gdw
03-21-2011, 10:25 AM
"Some of the US builders are buying less expensive and lower spec Ti from China which allows them to hold decent margins. Unfortunately there has been a high failure rate on these frames."

Wow, care to back that up and name the perps?

victoryfactory
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Dudes:
(Can I call you dudes?)

Racers mostly don't want Ti
Normals mostly don't want Ti
Only "enthusiasts" want Ti and that market is too small
to support many large Ti based framemakers.

So many framemakers have to diversify to other materials if they
want to stay in the game. As usual, despite the howling of the
cognoscenti, the market will self adjust around what people really want.

VF

I have 3 Ti Bikes, btw so I'm not anti Ti.

slowandsteady
03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
and aluminum is...uh
zoom 'n um ???

...just not zoomin 'um

avalonracing
03-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Dudes:
(Can I call you dudes?)

Racers mostly don't want Ti
Normals mostly don't want Ti

-Pro racers race what they are given... They are given what the manufacturer wants to sell.
-Sponsored amateur racers race what they are given and what they get a "pro-deal" on, which is again, what manufacturers want to sell.
-Self-financed racers want to race what the pros and their faster, sponsored, friends race.
-Normals want what the pros and the racers have.

Now that said... Do you think a manufacturer would rather push a cheap to manufacture, high-margin, lightweight yet breakable, outsourced bike with a short lifespan OR a craftsman-made, American built, great riding, expensive to manufacture bike with a nearly unlimited lifespan?

AngryScientist
03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
"Some of the US builders are buying less expensive and lower spec Ti from China which allows them to hold decent margins. Unfortunately there has been a high failure rate on these frames."

Wow, care to back that up and name the perps?

i too would like to hear some details of these low spec Ti frames that are falling apart. :rolleyes:

zap
03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
snip

If you are buying a Ti frame ask where the tubes were manufactured...it's less of a worry who is building them than what they are building them with...

Don't know, I would worry about who builds ti frames.

Countless ti frames built in the USA with USA sourced ti tubing have broken including mine............pics below of what was my ti frame from a friend who's working on some non-cycling related project.

Other than that I have nothing to contribute with regards to Merlin past present or future.

victoryfactory
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
-Pro racers race what they are given... They are given what the manufacturer wants to sell.
-Normals want what the pros and the racers have.

You are right. I have revised my original statement:

Racers don't get Ti
Normals don't "get" Ti

Can I still call you dude?

VF

Aaron O
03-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Most good Ti builders could do a BB-ectomy on that frame pretty easily.

Cheers,

KP

I spoke with Tom Kellog about it last year and the conversion was high...around $1,000. At that price I'd be better off selling it and buying a more recent used one. I love the bike, but I'm not putting $1,000 into it.

fourflys
03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
i too would like to hear some details of these low spec Ti frames that are falling apart. :rolleyes:

exactly... I know two major builders that use overseas Ti are Litespeed and Lynskey... I have the Xicon from Litespeed and haven't heard of any issues with them... I'd love to see some data/articles/stories to back this up...

allenwhy
03-22-2011, 05:32 AM
I spoke with Tom Kellog about it last year and the conversion was high...around $1,000. At that price I'd be better off selling it and buying a more recent used one. I love the bike, but I'm not putting $1,000 into it.

Same. It was unfortunate. I got the bike from a forum member for less than that complete... doesn't make much economic sense for me. I think CC should offer a bbectomy as a courtesy to brand followers for a few hundo. :beer:

Aaron O
03-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Same. It was unfortunate. I got the bike from a forum member for less than that complete... doesn't make much economic sense for me. I think CC should offer a bbectomy as a courtesy to brand followers for a few hundo. :beer:

At least they'll never need repaints!!

I'm sure it probably is $1,000 worth of work and I'm not criticizing the price, it just doesn't make sense for me to do it when used ti is so under valued.

AngryScientist
03-22-2011, 05:52 AM
At least they'll never need repaints!!

I'm sure it probably is $1,000 worth of work and I'm not criticizing the price, it just doesn't make sense for me to do it when used ti is so under valued.

plus the bike is still perfectly rideable with the press fit BB...

Aaron O
03-22-2011, 07:59 AM
plus the bike is still perfectly rideable with the press fit BB...

Egggs-actly. Eventually I'll change it over to Campy Ergo, but the 9sp DA on there now isn't unusable. I love the bike, it's a fantastic ride and I don't have much interest in replacing it.

I sometimes wonder if my love for this bike is the size/fit, the ti tubes, the Kellog geometry or a synergistic combination of all three. What I do know is that the end result is magical.

cmg
03-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Do you think a manufacturer would rather push a cheap to manufacture, high-margin, lightweight yet breakable, outsourced bike with a short lifespan OR a craftsman-made, American built, great riding, expensive to manufacture bike with a nearly unlimited lifespan?

Do you really want an answer? The high margin wins everytime. to hit the numbers CC needs it probably won't be built in America. so it's advertising will say "a craftsman-made, lightweight, great riding, with a nearly unlimited lifespan" frame and have a price tag of $3k. what's not to love?

54ny77
03-22-2011, 10:34 AM
more power to 'em.

hope it also preserves (and even expands) jobs here in the u.s.

:beer:

if it becomes nothing more than licensing the name and manufacturing overseas, that'll be a bummer.

Ahneida Ride
03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey, Kelly is generating Ti orders.

I would not quite yet pronounce the demise of Ti. :eek: :beer:

1centaur
03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/whats-new/the-merlin-acquisition-and-other-catch-up.405.html

avalonracing
03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/whats-new/the-merlin-acquisition-and-other-catch-up.405.html

This is encouraging:

"And Merlins were always made in the US by talented craftsmen. A contrast to an otherwise rapidly de-industrializing economy. Our goal is to keep it that way."