PDA

View Full Version : in a segregated world...

ergott
05-29-2005, 08:24 PM
OK so I got a full Record bike. I'm in the market for a new crankset and everything is pointing to the Dura Ace set. The weight is right and the "stiffness" is there. It is even high zoot. Should I go for it or are the heavens going to open up and strike me down to moment I try to mount it on the Camy bike.

Eric

Sandy
05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
The real question is whether the Super Shimano crankset will be willing to downgrade. :) :)

Spinning Super Shimano

cycleman_21
05-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Careful it IS still Sunday :no: ;)

RC

Kevin
05-30-2005, 05:37 AM
Get what you like. Don't listen to us.

Kevin

Climb01742
05-30-2005, 06:21 AM
someone i know has full record + shimano crank and loves it. so a mixed marriage can live happily ever after. :p

ergott
05-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Call me crazy, but I think it's the best crankset out there. That says a lot coming from me. I switched over to the dark (Campy) side in 2000 and never thought I'd put Shimano on my A bike again. If only Campy made a reasonably priced Record crank that stood a chance in a comparison to the new Shimano.

Then there its looks. :crap:
Why does all that is good about the Dura Ace crank have to be ruined by that goofy look. While I'll admit that it is growing on me like an old wart, it will never look as sexy as the Campy stuff. The difference is the rest of the Campy group is a real comparision to Shimano in weight and function and looks the part as well.

Eric

coylifut
05-30-2005, 09:46 AM
The difference is the rest of the Campy group is a real comparision to Shimano in weight and function and looks the part as well.

Eric

can you clarify the above sentence

saab2000
05-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Hate to ask, but in what quantifiable way is the Shimano DA crank superior to the Record? I have never ridden them, so I guess I cannot comment on the stiffness. But it seems to me that the superiority of the DA crank is mostly marketing.

That said, I think Campagnolo will have to introduce something to not lose too much market share.

And having said all of that, I think you can use the DA crank just fine with a Campagnolo drivetrain.

William
05-30-2005, 10:56 AM
OK so I got a full Record bike. I'm in the market for a new crankset and everything is pointing to the Dura Ace set. The weight is right and the "stiffness" is there. It is even high zoot. Should I go for it or are the heavens going to open up and strike me down to moment I try to mount it on the Camy bike.

Eric

Campy/Shimano
Po-tay-to/Po-tah-to
Do what ever you want

It's all about what makes you happy...well, and the Jerk too. :p

William

RichMc
05-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Just get the Campy recommended chain line distance (center of downtube to center of small chainring) setup for the Shimano and you should be fine.

jeffg
05-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Hate to ask, but in what quantifiable way is the Shimano DA crank superior to the Record? I have never ridden them, so I guess I cannot comment on the stiffness. But it seems to me that the superiority of the DA crank is mostly marketing.

That said, I think Campagnolo will have to introduce something to not lose too much market share.

And having said all of that, I think you can use the DA crank just fine with a Campagnolo drivetrain.

1. The outboard bearing design means that Shimano finally has a better BB than Campy in terms of durability, at the very least; however, a Phil BB gives a Campy crank/BB an edge in my book, above all due to the lower Q.

2. Most likely

3. Ditto

Dekonick
05-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Go with what works for you.

I dont like the look of the DA crank - but lots of people don't like the look of my Hors. I say screw em and get what YOU like. (Record cranks do look sweet...IMHO)

Smiley
05-30-2005, 01:40 PM
who does not like the look of your DKS ? You are from How Weird County Merryland after all :banana:

ergott
05-30-2005, 01:45 PM
can you clarify the above sentence

I meant that all the other components they make are comparable in weight and performance. They both shift and brake great. I just think that the Shimano crank is better by design with the outboard BB. Independant tests of stiffness put it the highest (much higher than Campy) and it is one of the lightest sets out there. If you compare the Shimano with the Carbon Record crank then it wins in price as well. While these differences won't make me win races, I do like the best, even if it is just marginal.

Eric

musgravecycles
05-30-2005, 02:30 PM
ergott...

By all means do what makes you happiest...

However the bearings in a campy crank are FAR superior (smoother) to Shimano...
Try it for yourself, take the chain off and give both a wing...

btw, the campy crank is stiff enough for alpha-sprinter Petacchi...

ergott
05-30-2005, 03:09 PM

btw, Petacchi is using a proprietary bb being made for the Pinarello called M.O.S.T. I forget what it stands for, but is oversized like the c-dale.

I'll be sure to give a report. My guess is I probaby won't feel an earth shattering difference, but right now I'm not happy with the FSA compact setup I have right now. I just can't get the thing to shift perfectly and believe me I tried everything. The last thing I did was start over using the Barnett book and still not the best all the time. I understand that some people have had problems where others have not. I think it might be because I have pretty short stays (40.5cm)

I did have Campagnolo Record al before that, but now I can save a 1/4 pound off the bike by going Dura Ace. I think that if Campy had a lighter crankset that wasn't over $500 I wouldn't be having this conversation. Never mind the additional cost of the Phil BB. I got the Dura Ace for $321 shipped from eBay.

Eric

musgravecycles
05-30-2005, 07:07 PM
ergott...

Good luck with the Shimano....

Oh, and btw...

Petacchi is using the MOST now, however last year when he won a stage or two ;) of that big race in Italy he was using the campagnolo...

ergott
05-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah, and he complained about bb flex every time ;) ;)

Thanks,
Eric

musgravecycles
05-30-2005, 08:32 PM
my point is that there is a more noticeable difference in bearing quality between the two than any perceivable flex...

ergott
05-30-2005, 09:56 PM
my point is that there is a more noticeable difference in bearing quality between the two than any perceivable flex...

You are definetly right that the Campy bearings are unbelievable. I'll tell you if the new BB design holds a torch to them.

Eric

musgravecycles
05-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I'll tell you if the new BB design holds a torch to them.
Eric

You mean stiffness or smoothness?

I've installed about two dozen of the new dura aces, not 1/2 as smooth as the campy...

Now if Phil does indeed make a dura ace replacement you could have the best of both worlds (minus campy asthetics...)

:banana:

CNote
05-30-2005, 10:21 PM

And many others still win races on campy cranks. Who out there is actually flexing their crankarms?

musgravecycles
05-31-2005, 09:37 AM
And many others still win races on campy cranks. Who out there is actually flexing their crankarms?

My point exactly...

:banana: :banana:

saab2000
05-31-2005, 09:46 AM
The way some people write here you would think that Shimano bearings are bad. Far from it. They may seem "tighter" than the Campagnolo ones when first mounted, but they are no less smooth. That DA crank turns nicely. It might not spin around 100 times when lightely pushed when just out of the box, but give it some time to loosen up.

Shimano bearings are good.

musgravecycles
05-31-2005, 09:55 AM
saab...

I was not saying that shimano bearings are 'bad,' I was simply saying that the campagnolo ones are better...

92degrees
05-31-2005, 10:38 AM
My LBS builds most of the bikes up with mixed components. Campy shifters and Shimano cranks and FDs. I don't care for the look, but respect their philosophy of using what they think is best regardless. We ended up compromising by using the new FSA Mega EXO.