PDA

View Full Version : Headset Adjustment

mdeeds71
05-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Just wanted to get some suggestions...

I have had my CDA for about 2 months...I get a slight movement out of it when I check it for play...Had it in the shop...they admit they are not the best with these rather than the quill/threaded route...

Well still have that slight movement with some sound...So I tried to tighten the top adjustment down a bit and it seems to bottom out against the piece it threads into in the steerer...It is one of the Reynolds friction type inserts...So I decided to loosen the top about a 1/4 inch...then loosen the inside friction bolt...press the set down as a group then retighten the inside nut till solid...then tighten down the top adjuster till the movemtn/sound dimished...Much better...still some slight movement but not much...but I inspected the top race...seems to shop wear on the bottom 1/3 of the race and not the center...Is this the result of a poorly setup and adjusted headset...

So any input with the reynolds headset adjustment would be great...think I figured it out but not sure....

Is the bearing wear supposed to be centere on the race rather than the bottom 1/3...

rePhil
05-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Are you loosensing the stem clamp bolts that attach it to the stem before tightening the Reynolds expander?
Does the top of the Reynolds clamp touch the stem or is the steerer recessed a mm or two? (like ir should)
Take it slow, don't overtighten.Know your torque values. Be certain you understand what you are doing and why before twirling your wrenches.
I might be in a minority but I find threadless a lot easier to adjust.

mdeeds71
05-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes I am loosening the stem first...and yes there is at least 2mm before steerer...but I believe those that installed the reynolds expander did not tighten it appropriately...In other words as I tighten down the top cap to adjust the headset...I believe the expander was sliding up and then I would bottom out the cap assembly to the expander...but...I just got done riding and it feels much better...much more stable...but still is a bit loose...I do not have a torque wrench but since I am a trained aircraft mech I do know estimated feel within an acceptable range...but will get my torque wrenches here soon...

I do have a cheesy aheadset on this bike...need to get a stronglight/FSA/CK...but will wear this one out first...