PDA

View Full Version : What do like (dislike) about where you live?

Keith A
03-15-2011, 09:00 AM
This morning was a beautiful one here in Brevard County. The winds were light with cool temperatures in the low to mid 50's and it felt great to be out pedaling at dawn. I stopped at a couple of local surf spots to check the waves and there was a small long period swell rolling in with super glassy conditions. No one was out, but I always enjoy watching the waves break.

Brevard certainly isn't nirvana for cycling, surfing or even skateboarding. But I am able to ride all year long with only a few days that are really cold. The surf isn't be best in the country, but it's not too bad either and the water isn't freezing cold...but you do have to wear a wetsuit in the winter. I do love being near the ocean. The one thing that we are really missing here is some hills...because it is flat as a pancake.

So what about you guys/gals? What makes your place special or are you just counting the days to you move somewhere else.

Here's a picture from this morning with my cell phone camera (sorry about the poor quality).

AngryScientist
03-15-2011, 09:04 AM
what dont i like about where i live - the taxes.

1happygirl
03-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow great pix. I'd move right now but I'm waiting till August. I would like to have an ocean nearby but know I won't until I retire in several decades. Warm, warm, warm. That I have it and I'm keepin' it. My goal always to make enough money to fly myself to cold weather if I want it.
I like the amenities of the city, but most of the time don't have time to enjoy. I would like to just go out the front door and start riding.
I have a country place that you can get out and ride from your front door. Very secluded. Love it if it would get cable/internet. if it would, I'd be in all the way. Cities don't have bike friendly spots that are safe and you have to drive to get out of the towne centre.

Pollution and noise are :no: :no:

Every place is pretty much what you make it. When I was 10 y/o a family friend of my parents told me always marry a person, never a place cuz you'll always have to move. Sounds right to me.
Oh and yeah a PS. Not having to work tons to afford a nicely sized place or work more to afford to live in a specific place. The last 5 years for me has caused this new philosophy (even though I'm a workaholic by nature with things I love to do)

Nooch
03-15-2011, 09:08 AM
I love where I live. My fiance and I rent a third floor walkup over a convenience store in the heart of a small towns "downtown" area. The train station is a block away, the apartment is sized and priced reasonably in accordance to our needs/means. I've always wanted to live in the city, to have that sort of "Friends"/"Seinfeld" feel, but could never afford to rent more than a closet in Manhattan. This works for me.

The riding is good, just miles away from Piermont and Nyack and the famed 9W.

What I don't like? There's on hairy section of my commute to work (by bike) where I need to cross over the Garden State Parkway (at a junction) and NJ Route 17 (at another junction). People not really paying attention and certainly not expecting me on that stretch, but other than that... I couldn't be happier.

Ralph
03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
I really like Central Florida for bike riding. WE live on the N side of Orlando, and we have the hills you miss, and I can drive over to the ocean any time I want in about 45 minutes. We also have about 150 miles of 14' wide paved trails to either ride traffic free, or to use to get out into the rural areas.

Downside.....About 3-4 months of the year, I think there are more comfortable places in US to live. But that's also true about every place in US.

Maybe you live longer in a place where you can be outside and active all year. Who knows?

Keith A
03-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Ralph -- I really enjoy riding in the Clermont area and I used to live in Altamonte Springs. I still drive over to Clermont every now and then to ride some hills, but it's been too long since my last trip.

fourflys
03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
well, there isn't much bad to say about San Diego... some would say the cost of housing, but being in the military means I get get a nice stipend for housing so I can't even complain about that...

The only bad thing is I'll be leaving in 2012 to somewhere else... could be Boston, could be Alaska, could be Oakland... :crap:

BTW- having grown up in central Indiana makes me appreciate someplace like San Diego (or even Oakland) even more...

anyway, this was a couple weeks ago on a mid-ride break...
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/DelMar/1200654876_V6g59-L.jpg

CNY rider
03-15-2011, 09:29 AM
We have a wonderful summer with moderate temps, beautiful lakes to swim in and great bicycling.
Fall is beautiful.
Winter brings abundant snow for skiing and snowshoeing.
Then unfortunately comes the season known as mud. Spring for most of the rest of the country. As of now there is still about 8 inches of solid snowpack here. It got watered heavily with rain last week. It will continue to melt off, with occasional replenishment into April and make for a cold dreary slop which will feed a bumper crop of black flies that peak around Memorial Day.
And then it will be summer soon after and all will be good again.

Marcusaurelius
03-15-2011, 09:32 AM
The weather is good--most of the time. I can ride 12 months of the year. The roads are in good shape for the most part but you do have to watch out for the odd pothole and some very treacherous manhole covers that have a 2-4 inch drop.

The roads have reached their maximum capacity so I am hoping someone comes up with a creative solution before it becomes complete gridlock from morning till night.

fourflys
03-15-2011, 09:32 AM
It will continue to melt off, with occasional replenishment into April and make for a cold dreary slop which will feed a bumper crop of black flies that peak around Memorial Day.

wow, that just sounds like Heaven to me... ;)

just kidding... :beer:

CNY rider
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
wow, that just sounds like Heaven to me... ;)

just kidding... :beer:

Hey I did say that this was the unfortunate part of the year........ :beer:

Lifelover
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Since I'm fat I like that it's flat!

fourflys
03-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Since I'm fat I like that it's flat!

spent about 7 years on and off in Hampton Roads... wasn't a cyclist then, but didn't like the way people drove then... I could end up back there as well...

pjm
03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Just took this picture right outside my front door here at work. Bad, bad year for these....

Steve in SLO
03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Weather-mild but with seasonality and year-round outdoor season.
People-Friendly, fairly laid-back. It's a small town so you wave at each other. Big bike culture...heck, HTC-Columbia is HQ'd here.
Geography-pretty rolling hills and mountains, 10 min from the ocean, 2 hours from snow. Urban planning done with large greenbelt areas incorporated.
Traffic-Light. Everything is under 10-15 minutes away--esp good for shuttling the kids.
Other-Vineyards, brewpubs, good restaraunts and the college keep it fresh. Low crime-we don't worry too much about the house or kids.

Dislikes:
Housing costs (for others--I'm in)
It's in California, so taxes are high and my reimbursement (doctor) isn't great.
Shopping is limited, but we have the internet.
Cultural activities not great. Good concerts are far away.
Nearby nuclear power plant and possibility of earthquakes.

biker72
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Dallas Texas
Like:
Very mild winters...usually. Early February 2011 was awful. Two weeks of snow and ice is NOT normal. I can usually ride year round. More and more bicycle lanes becoming available.

Dislike: Very hot summers. No respect for cyclists.

dancinkozmo
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
...my rule of thumb for a place to live:

if you cant take a pee in your own front yard you live too close to town. :)

Ralph
03-15-2011, 09:47 AM
I remember when I was on a trip a few years ago, got to talking to a long distance truck driver.....a man who was a private contractor....owned his own rig, etc, who was nearing retirement age, and we got to talking about living in retirement.

I mentioned I was retired, living in Central Florida by choice, really could live anywhere we wanted, and that I traveled a lot to cooler climates, usually in summer. And he mentioned he had been to every part of US and Canada, in every time of year, in about every climate condition that occured in those areas.

So I naturally asked him this question. Where is best place in US to live all year around...climate wise? Not considering family nearby, infastructure, medical facilities, taxes, roads, schools, sports opportunities (good cycling for us), all those things. Just talking climate and year long living in one place.

His answer: Not too far North or South of Interstate 40....about anywhere across the US.

cmg
03-15-2011, 09:58 AM
like: mild winters, hot-steamy summers, year round riding most of the time. i live in an area where the road system was developed before the housing was built. what that means is they didn't build a subdivision in the middle of nowhere with a single lane running to it only to wait for the county or city to redo the street sytem for the added traffic. after the 70's that scenerio is common. the local weekday 20 mile ride along the river/park trail is 3 miles away and rarely used.

dislikes: riding on streets that are overrun with traffic due to poor planning or no planning. riding on streets with no shoulders. This area is truck country with drivers that tend to have the my truck isn't big enough attitude.

thwart
03-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Southwestern WI

Dislikes: Mid January to mid March. Winter is getting really old by then.

Otherwise, awfully darn close to heaven. Whether you're a cyclist or not.

But if you do ride: flats, hills, plenty of lightly traveled scenic backroads, generally reasonable people, you name it...

Well, almost. No mountains. :D

akelman
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Year-round riding in a place that has real respect for cyclists.

Close proximity to Tahoe, the Pacific coast, the Bay Area, Napa Valley, Yosemite, etc.

A university that brings in speakers, musicians, and provides me with a job that I try never to take for granted.

A nice community that's wary of growing too quickly or in an unplanned fashion.

Good public schools (that are declining, unfortunately, due to structural problems in the legislature and Californians' pathological aversion to taxes).

A twice-weekly farmers market that has mind-blowing produce year-round.

Dislikes:

Insanely high prices for crappy housing stock.

A creeping sense that the state's best days are behind it.

A budget deficit that hangs like a sword over dreams of brighter days ahead. (That's pretty similar to the one above it, isn't it? Oh well.)

About a month of weather each year that's pretty unbearable: either blast-furnace hot for a couple weeks in the swimmer or wish-you-were-a-duck wet for a couple weeks in the winter.

No LBS that stocks Campy parts. Peter should move Vecchio's here.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Year-round riding in a place that has real respect for cyclists.

Close proximity to Tahoe, the Pacific coast, the Bay Area, Napa Valley, Yosemite, etc.

A university that brings in speakers, musicians, and provides me with a job that I try never to take for granted.

A nice community that's wary of growing too quickly or in an unplanned fashion.

Good public schools (that are declining, unfortunately, due to structural problems in the legislature and Californians' pathological aversion to taxes).

A twice-weekly farmers market that has mind-blowing produce year-round.

Dislikes:

Insanely high prices for crappy housing stock.

A creeping sense that the state's best days are behind it.

A budget deficit that hangs like a sword over dreams of brighter days ahead. (That's pretty similar to the one above it, isn't it? Oh well.)

About a month of weather each year that's pretty unbearable: either blast-furnace hot for a couple weeks in the swimmer or wish-you-were-a-duck wet for a couple weeks in the winter.

No LBS that stocks Campy parts. Peter should move Vecchio's here.

No thanks. I would rather stand on the corner with a piece of cardboard than even move WITHIN Boulder.

Love Boulder, the weirdness, altho the lack of tolerance of anything smacking of not uber left wing liberal irks me sometimes(see my post on Nukes...very un-Boulder). Tough to be a moderate.

Love the riding, hate the very mild winter. Just tired of being cold. Loved riding and living in SanDiego...but wife's and my family was here, after I retired form the USN, move we did.

Altho bigger and expensive, still a small town. AND I couldn't do this kinda shop even next door in Longmont...think I'll stay.

1centaur
03-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Apparently the aversion isn't doing much good. Note in this pdf the column that shows the cut-off for the highest tax bracket, and compare that to the states that have nominally higher tax rates at the top end.

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdf

In my perfect lottery world I'd move to California and pay those taxes, but I'd miss the smooth, well maintained (and relatively low traffic, in rural areas) roads and diverse route options I get in Massachusetts and the lumpy landscape that's not "oh no another mountain" nor "man this is flat."

dimsy
03-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Brooklyn, NY

dislikes:
the people
the garbage
the traffic
the roads
the winter weather
the cops
the gentrification

the summer weather
24 hour stores everywhere
public transportation
no tsunamis
the commute to work

LegendRider
03-15-2011, 11:02 AM

I think the fact that approximately 15% of the school children in CA are from illegal immigrant families has more to do with declining performance in public schools than a lack of funding (taxes).

SEABREEZE
03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Keith, living just a little further south of you, I would have to agree with you, However also lived in San Diego, I would take SD in a heart beat.

rallizes
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I think the fact that approximately 15% of the school children in CA are from illegal immigrant families has more to do with declining performance in public schools than a lack of funding (taxes).

Woah.

wooly
03-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Likes - the weather, the coastline, family is in close proximity, the diversity of the State

Dislike - contrary to Akelman, the tax rate is a burden and considering the current state electeds, I don't see it improving any time soon. Here in OC and specifically Newport Beach where I live, I think the money thing has gotten a bit over-bearing. People love showing it off around here. A couple of decades ago the town was much more of a sleepy community - which was nice. But hey, who's complaining. It's a beautiful place.

Now I just wish I had a picture like Fourflys!

wooly
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Sad but true

false_Aest
03-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Los Angeles:

Dislike:
sprawl
sprawl
sprawl
ugly buildings
pollution
beverly hills
fake-ness-ocity
everything is just stupid expensive
lack of quick public transit.

40 miles away I have a road that goes from 500' elevation to 7000'.
10 miles from home I'm at the beach
diverse food

also . . . bad school performance may or may not be tied to illegal immigrants BUT it certainly doesn't help that we're cutting education budgets across the board because previous generations were to solipsistic to see beyond their own bellies.

2LeftCleats
03-15-2011, 11:57 AM
South Central Indiana--Bloomington

Likes: Wonderful cycling; all the hills you can stand. Lots of rural roads. Vigorous cycling community and lots of bike lanes, paths.

Home of Indiana University. Tremendous cultural opportunities, many of them free. The town is multicultural and progressive. (Elsewhere in IN it's referred to as the People's Republic of Bloomington.) Wide variety of ethnic food. Huge farmer's market.

Housing and land are relatively affordable. I moved here recently and live on 8 ac of forest, with a 3 mlle commute to work, downtown. Large lake several miles a day. Kayaking at the end of my road near the national forest. Wonderful hiking in the area.

Dislikes: the usual complaint about midwestern winter, but there's only a handful of days that I can't bike, run, or hike. Anyone can be fit in California but it takes some real character to stay fit here.

The state political climate: too socially conservative for my tastes

akelman
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM

I was talking specifically about the schools in Davis, for what it's worth, which is where I live. This is a community that is quite affluent, overeducated by almost any standard, and has very few illegal or undocumented immigrants living within it. And yet, because of draconian budget cuts, our schools are rapidly declining by nearly every quantitative and qualitative measure. As is the university at which I teach, by the way -- again, because of budgets that are being slashed (not simply cut, mind you, but outright gutted).

Now, there are all kinds of reasons why budgets are being cut here (and elsewhere), including but not limited to the strain that a very diverse population puts on the state's public services; structural problems of governance, stemming from some odd features of the California constitution; overall distrust of government (a distrust that I often share, by the way); and an electorate that seems content to allow a variety of public goods to die rather than paying higher taxes.

We can argue all day about which of the above reasons should be weighted most heavily in the equation, or about the various factors that I've left out, but I don't think that's going to be fruitful. In fact, had I had been thinking more clearly, I would have kept my mouth shut from the get-go. But when I wrote my comment, I had just walked out of a meeting in which people were discussing staff layoffs and whatnot, so I wrote what I wrote. That was my mistake.

LegendRider
03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Fair enough. I'm not looking for an argument and I'm hopeful this thread won't spiral out of control because of my comment.

I was talking specifically about the schools in Davis, for what it's worth, which is where I live. This is a community that is quite affluent, overeducated by almost any standard, and has very few illegal or undocumented immigrants living within it. And yet, because of draconian budget cuts, our schools are rapidly declining by nearly every quantitative and qualitative measure. As is the university at which I teach, by the way -- again, because of budgets that are being slashed (not simply cut, mind you, but outright gutted).

Now, there are all kinds of reasons why budgets are being cut here (and elsewhere), including but not limited to the strain that a very diverse population puts on the state's public services; structural problems of governance, stemming from some odd features of the California constitution; overall distrust of government (a distrust that I often share, by the way); and an electorate that seems content to allow a variety of public goods to die rather than paying higher taxes.

We can argue all day about which of the above reasons should be weighted most heavily in the equation, or about the various factors that I've left out, but I don't think that's going to be fruitful. In fact, had I had been thinking more clearly, I would have kept my mouth shut from the get-go. But when I wrote my comment, I had just walked out of a meeting in which people were discussing staff layoffs and whatnot, so I wrote what I wrote. That was my mistake.

wooly
03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
The nice thing about this forum (and the primary reason I choose to frequent this more than others) is the respect level. I totally get the different points of view Akelman. In fact I appreciate it.

Now back to the topic - One important thing I forgot in my "Likes" list was the year round riding opportunities and the locales that I can ride - I was out yesterday morning riding along the coast and couldn't help feeling like one lucky bastard. :D

akelman
03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Fair enough. I'm not looking for an argument and I'm hopeful this thread won't spiral out of control because of my comment.

I feel exactly the same way. That you and I disagree about the roots of the California budget crisis makes absolutely no difference to me. You've always seemed like a nice guy, and you have great taste in bikes. That's good enough for me. And like I said above, I think my comment was the problem.

Keith A
03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Now back to the topic - One important thing I forgot in my "Likes" list was the year round riding opportunities and the locales that I can ride - I was out yesterday morning riding along the coast and couldn't help feeling like one lucky bastard. :DHey wooly...having ridden in your neck of the woods, I would say that this has been the best place I have ever ridden. Not only do you have a great coastal road with fantastic views, but there a plenty of mountains if you want to ride some hills. Additionally, some of the towns out there like Thousand Oaks have excellent roads for cyclists and driver who know how to share the road. Plus just a whole bunch of riders out there too.

JeremyS
03-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Oakland, CA - renting in a rich people neighborhood.

What I love about this place:
Best road-riding I've ever had out my front door. Cross/MTB as well if you're willing to deal with a 30 minute road burn to get there.
Fresh produce year round.
Great job market with good variety.
Great place to start companies, both virtual and real. I've started a few companies here. I'm getting traction with my newest venture.

What I really hate:

Crime. Even in the nice neighborhood, muggings, car theft, robbery is par for the course. I could mitigate this by moving to the hills, but I dislike most hill dwellers about as much as I dislike getting my stuff took.

The california no-fun police. No dogs, no bikes on most trails around here. No dogs on most beaches. No dogs in most parks. Not enough legal singletrack at all.

Talkers. Everyone here is "about" to do something, not many people doing.

alexstar
03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I live in Alameda, CA. It's a small island town in the SF bay area, just off the coast of Oakland. Frankly, I couldn't imagine wanting to live anywhere else. It's a nice medium-sized community, about 73,000 people. I moved here after living in SF for 8 years, so I didn't want the culture shock of moving from the city directly to the suburbs. Alameda is fantastic - a friendly, small-town feel with enough "stuff" to keep me from missing the City too much. There are tons of good restaurants, plenty of fun bars, interesting shops(very "support-local-business"-oriented), and a historic movie theater. The schools are excellent, from what I hear - no experience yet. The architecture is (mostly) pretty cool, with lots of Craftsmans and pre-quake Victorians. The entire island is flat, and the community is pretty bike-friendly, with several bike shops and a couple of builders. Oakland is a quick bike ride away, and the Oakland hills are very close, with lots of nice riding up there. SF is a 20-minute ferry ride away, too. Overall there are a lot of local rides.

Dislikes: we have a gang of raccoons (!) that have been entering people's houses through the dog doors, eating the dog food, and attacking the dogs. :rolleyes:

akelman
03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I was out yesterday morning riding along the coast and couldn't help feeling like one lucky bastard.

I actually could have included in my dislikes that being a bit less than an hour (by car, mind you) from the coast is too far. When I did Levi's Gran Fondo last year, there was a moment at the top of King Ridge when the Pacific first came into view. It was absolutely breathtaking. From there, the descent to the coast was just awesome. And riding along Route 1 was great, too. The climb -- around the eighty-mile mark! -- back over the mountains to Santa Rosa, on the other hand, was less than awesome.

Germany_chris
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Gotta love Sailors, I hope your next assignment will be Kodiak Island!! J/K

really you guy's get all the choice places...

I can't really complain either mine were Ft. Drum, then Schofield Barracks, both wonderful in their own way

Chris

spent about 7 years on and off in Hampton Roads... wasn't a cyclist then, but didn't like the way people drove then... I could end up back there as well...

axel23
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Let's see, what's not to like? Not much that isn't offset by something good. Hot and muggy summers? Sure, but then there are the creeks and Barton Springs for cooling off. Too much Texas? Nah. We're not Dallas and nothing beats a Texas smile.

The good side of the ledger is longer than we have time for. Let's start with SXSW (happening right now). Ok, ok, we have too, too many hipsters, but we can live with that.

Incredible roads for those long rides (and no we don't have mountains, but yes we do have hills).

We have first class bike stores - from Mellow Johnny's to traditional power houses like Bicycle Sport Shop and University Cyclery.

We have Lance Armstrong.

And in the winter, we even have snow (ok, once a decade, but hey . . .).

oliver1850
03-15-2011, 12:39 PM

LegendRider
03-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Atlanta

Pros
- Decent economy
- Relatively low cost of living for major metropolitan area
- Verdant
- The schools don’t rank well nationally, BUT there are exceptions (public and private) and so far I’ve been pleased with the elementary education my children are receiving. Check back with me in five or seven years.

Cons
- Sprawl
- Car-centric (see above)
- Summer heat and mosquitos

ThasFACE
03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I like this thread. Anyway, New York City:

Dislikes: Cycling around here is pretty lame. There is a decent-sized cycling community, but options for Manhattanites are pretty much limited to Central Park and 9W... and now that NYPD has seen fit to remove Central Park from the equation, my riding this winter has been almost exclusively on the Computrainer since 50 miles up Nyack-way isn't really a 'pre-work' ride. Also, traffic is a freaking nightmare and the general filth/odor/etc during the summer months is overwhelming. Anyway, if it sounds like I'm ready to relocate then you are correct (possibly the Maryland side of DC). And I grew up here, by the way.

npla2112
03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Albany, New York
Had my car hood stolen last week....for the second time this year!
Seriously ***! :crap: :crap: :crap:

fiamme red
03-15-2011, 12:49 PM
I like this thread. Anyway, New York City:

Dislikes: Cycling around here is pretty lame. There is a decent-sized cycling community, but options for Manhattanites are pretty much limited to Central Park and 9W... and now that NYPD has seen fit to remove Central Park from the equation, my riding this winter has been almost exclusively on the Computrainer since 50 miles up Nyack-way isn't really a 'pre-work' ride. Also, traffic is a freaking nightmare and the general filth/odor/etc during the summer months is overwhelming. Anyway, if it sounds like I'm ready to relocate then you are correct (possibly the Maryland side of DC). And I grew up here, by the way.I agree, Central Park and 9W are lame, except as training rides, when you're pressed for time. But most people stick to CP and 9W because they're too lazy to learn any new routes.

The best thing about living in the city is that there are trains that can take you in less than an hour to great locations for starting a ride: Long Island (LIRR), NJ (NJ Transit), Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Ulster, Orange, Fairfield, etc. (Metro-North). You don't need a car to explore the area far and wide.

old fat man
03-15-2011, 12:50 PM
- great cycling "scene" with lots of passionate cycling organizations
- decent routes, even from my Boston door
- roads don't just go north-south and east-west
- lots of racing opportunities
- reasonably good mtb options within 20 mile radius
- drivers are generally used to seeing cyclists and therefore aware of our existence on the road
- commuter friendly environment
- competitive salaries
- conveniences of city living (walkable restaurants, grocery, shopping, public transit, etc)

Dislikes:
- aggressive, entitled drivers who know we are there but still don't want to share the roads
- poor road conditions
- lack of tough hills
- winter tends to eliminate opportunity for long rides outdoors
- traffic makes accessing those good mtb options an hour long ordeal
- despite lots of bike racing opportunities in New England, they are almost all a minimum of an hour away from Boston (especially mtb)
- cost of living for a family
- getting across the city (south to north and vice versa)

ThasFACE
03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Albany, New York
Seriously ***! :crap: :crap: :crap:
I guess the up side is that it's so brutal that it will be a funny story in a couple years.

akelman
03-15-2011, 12:54 PM

It was probably that gang of raccoons. I heard they were priced out of the market in the Bay Area and moved to upstate New York.

npla2112
03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I guess the up side is that it's so brutal that it will be a funny story in a couple years.
Considering it's a white '92 Civic, with a red door, it sticks out like a sore thumb in a parking lot with Audi's and BMW's. Does anyone out there feel like welding the next hood to the mounting brackets for me? These are desperate times folks. :crap: :crap: :crap:

ThasFACE
03-15-2011, 01:07 PM
I agree, Central Park and 9W are lame, except as training rides, when you're pressed for time. But most people stick to CP and 9W because they're too lazy to learn any new routes.

The best thing about living in the city is that there are trains that can take you in less than an hour to great locations for starting a ride: Long Island (LIRR), NJ (NJ Transit), Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Ulster, Orange, Fairfield, etc. (Metro-North). You don't need a car to explore the area far and wide.
Yeah, that's fair, but I guess that I just don't like the idea of spending an hour on both sides of my rides on Sat/Sun just so that I have the opportunity to not be supremely bored by the terrain.

fiamme red
03-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that's fair, but I guess that I just don't like the idea of spending an hour on both sides of my rides on Sat/Sun just so that I have the opportunity to not be supremely bored by the terrain.You can take a train out and ride back or vice versa.

A train to Croton-on-Hudson, or White Plains, or Stamford, takes less than an hour.

victoryfactory
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Don't forget the Island. LIRR to:
North Fork (a chance to get run over by a Volvo or
a pickup driven by a farm worker)
and South Fork (a chance to get run over by a Porsche or
a BMW driven by a doctor)

But seriously, the worst thing about riding in NY is the cold weather. I have
20-25-35 mile routes right from my house that are doable. But then, I'm easily
amused.

VF

fiamme red
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Don't forget the Island. LIRR to:
North Fork (a chance to get run over by a Volvo or
a pickup driven by a farm worker)
and South Fork (a chance to get run over by a Porsche or
a BMW driven by a doctor)You don't have to go so far east to find good roads, or bad drivers. The north shore, all the way from Douglaston eastward, has great riding.

old_fat_and_slow
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Weather is fantastic. Can ride essentially 12 months out of the year. None o' those long hours down in the basement on the trainer.

Other'n the weather, ain't much great on the positive side of the ledger.

On the negative side, let's see here:

too many people,
too many cars
too many people
outrageous real estate prices
too many people
super high state taxes
too many people
state government that is about to go broke
too many people
earthquakes
too many people
landslides
too many people
brushfires
too many people
tsunamis
too many people
crumbling infrastructure
too many people
serious illegal immigration problem
too many people
gross inequity in property tax assessment (otherwise known as Prop 13)

oh, and did i mention

too many people

Give me a cuplah minutes, and I can probably think of some more.

Keith A
03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Give me a cuplah minutes, and I can probably think of some more.I've got one for you...too many people :rolleyes: I've only been to LA one time and everything they say about the traffic on the major freeways is true...holy moly, there are a lot of cars on the highway.

fourflys
03-15-2011, 02:06 PM

hopefully not to get this OT, but my wife is a HS teacher in an area known for a lot if immigrants (Escondido) and she has nothing but the best to say about her kids... compared with her previous job at Hampton High in SE Virginia... so I don't think your argument of declining performance based on illegals holds water... at least not in SoCal...

fourflys
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Gotta love Sailors, I hope your next assignment will be Kodiak Island!! J/K

really you guy's get all the choice places...

I can't really complain either mine were Ft. Drum, then Schofield Barracks, both wonderful in their own way

Chris

HEY! I'm a Coastie, NOT a Sailor! ;)

BTW- Kodiak wouldn't be the worst place I can be stationed... already did 3 years there, I'll do another 3 as the clinic sup...

Louis
03-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Given all the hate for immigrants in some parts of the country, you wonder why there are so many folks out there willing to give them jobs and buy the products and services they provide.

Lifelover
03-15-2011, 02:19 PM

We do not have a cycling friendly infrastructure, that's for sure. For road riding you have to be in the more rural areas like Pungo. Otherwise you need to be willing to ride fat tires on sidewalks and MUTS.

It is all I know so I don't mind it.

fourflys
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
We do not have a cycling friendly infrastructure, that's for sure. For road riding you have to be in the more rural areas like Pungo. Otherwise you need to be willing to ride fat tires on sidewalks and MUTS.

It is all I know so I don't mind it.

I could see Pungo or over in Sheffield being nice.. I'd love to do a tour of the Colonial Parkway sometime, not that long but beautiful...

wooly
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey wooly...having ridden in your neck of the woods, I would say that this has been the best place I have ever ridden. Not only do you have a great coastal road with fantastic views, but there a plenty of mountains if you want to ride some hills. Additionally, some of the towns out there like Thousand Oaks have excellent roads for cyclists and driver who know how to share the road. Plus just a whole bunch of riders out there too.

Keith - the next time you're out hear give me a shout. Beers are on me!

Keith A
03-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Keith - the next time you're out hear give me a shout. Beers are on me!Thanks. I would love to come out there again and do some more riding!

texbike
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
-Artsy, creative city
-Friendly
-Small town feel (I call it the biggest small town I've ever lived in...)
-Great Music
-BBQ
-TexMex
-Nicely hilly
-Lakes,creeks, parks, greenbelts
-High concentration of eye candy
-Decent economy
-Great place to raise kids with lots of great outdoor activities
-Nice variety of wildlife (I've seen deer, bobcats, porcupines, turkeys, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, possums, etc.)
-Lots of riding possibilities and close to the Hill Country with more ride options

Dislikes:

-Incredibly high property taxes
-WAY too hot and humid in the summer (90 is about my cut-off)
-Riding to the edge of town can be tough to get to nice rural roads
-Concerns about the continuing quality of public education (AISD)
-The closest snow skiing is a 12-14 hour drive away (most of the miles in TX!)
-The coast is about 4 hours away
-Expensive housing compared to the rest of Texas
-A MUCH smaller economy than Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio

Actually, we really like it here but I dream of being the neighbor of Steve in SLO! :)

Texbike

fourflys
03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Actually, we really like it here but I dream of being the neighbor of Steve in SLO! :)

Texbike

many of us do... I need to convince him he needs me to move up there and be his medical administrator.... :D

mpetry
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Little or no traffic - we drive less!
Great access to Seattle
Great views of the mountains and water
Summer is to die for
Wonderful cycling and great cycling community (300 + everyday commuters)
Lots of wildlife - eagles, deer, salmon, etc

NoLikes
Winters are long and grey - tho not too cold
Ferry commute can be a PITA
Power goes out - occaisionally for 2-3 days!

Overall it's the best place I've ever lived. Trying to find a way to spend November - February in San Diego.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

drewski
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that's fair, but I guess that I just don't like the idea of spending an hour on both sides of my rides on Sat/Sun just so that I have the opportunity to not be supremely bored by the terrain.

Mountain biking used to be fun on the Palisades. Used to do this when I was a kid. Too bad they closed the trail.

Its a wonderful hike to do still.

Also fun to take Metro North and ride around Hastings on the Hudson.

http://www.nynjctbotany.org/lgtofc/nycrtnaq.html

Regards,
Andrew

SEABREEZE
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Weather is fantastic. Can ride essentially 12 months out of the year. None o' those long hours down in the basement on the trainer.

Other'n the weather, ain't much great on the positive side of the ledger.

On the negative side, let's see here:

too many people,
too many cars
too many people
outrageous real estate prices
too many people
super high state taxes
too many people
state government that is about to go broke
too many people
earthquakes
too many people
landslides
too many people
brushfires
too many people
tsunamis
too many people
crumbling infrastructure
too many people
serious illegal immigration problem
too many people
gross inequity in property tax assessment (otherwise known as Prop 13)

oh, and did i mention

too many people

Give me a cuplah minutes, and I can probably think of some more.

You forgot the most important...MAJOR LEAGUE POLUTION,,,because of the inversion factor.. Every time I drove up from SD in orange county my eyes would start to burn.. Living there everyday, I 'm sure you dont even notice it...but its taking its toll

old_fat_and_slow
03-15-2011, 04:29 PM
You forgot the most important...MAJOR LEAGUE POLUTION,,,because of the inversion factor.. Every time I drove up from SD in orange county my eyes would start to burn.. Living there everyday, I 'm sure you dont even notice it...but its taking its toll

Man I envy you. I love San Diego, North County, and even Southern OC.
LA is the pits.

SEABREEZE
03-15-2011, 04:42 PM
OFS dont live there presently, but yes, I did live in North County

Mpetry.......... You have the wright idea... The best of both worlds.
SD in the winter and Wash in the summer.

Would love to spend a summer in the NW and explore...

Enjoyed many of your bike stories up there

Frankwurst
03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Dislikes: Nothing
:beer:

majorpat
03-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I live in the eastern Finger Lakes and I mostly like it, it is a poor time of year for a thread like this for folks in the Northeast. CNY said it, winter thaw/mud season is kind of the pits. Today I got in an hour after work at 49 degrees because tomorrow it will be 40's and raining and yesterday was in the 30's and spitting snow.

Amazing riding (winter excluded) with all kinds of terrain. Roads connect farms, villages and towns from yesteryear. Where horses once pulled wagons make good bike riding roads today.

Lack of people (from a Los Angeles perspective)

Close enough to big cities (Toronto, NYC, Boston, Montreal, Philly)

In laws live on a lake in the Adirondacks...sweet.

Syracuse basketball and lacrosse

Dislikes:

March can suck, weather-wise

Some folks can be a little provincial

Man, that's a lot of snow...

Have to budget for a new snowblower

Overall, I like it. Lived a lot of places thanks to Uncle Sam...you can have 29 Palms, Ft Knox, etc. San Diego is a winner, though. Re-run this thread in July for better results from us in the north country

Pat

Keith A
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Majorpat -- I have had the good pleasure of visiting Douglas Brooks on a few occasions who also lives in the Finger Lakes area and I must say that riding in the summer is outstanding. I hope to be back there again someday.

Keith A
03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Here's two more pictures from this morning (although I didn't take these)...

guylimey
03-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Santa Monica, California - LA TRAFFIC!

chuckroast
03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
...so let me chime in.

We've lived in the KC area for 30 years now. It has been a great place to live and raise our kids. Good schools in most of the metro. Reasonable taxes, low cost of living. Economically diverse and we've been largely insulated from big economic swings either direction. I can ride thirty minutes from my driveway and be in the country, all on relatively safe roads. Decent culture and arts, not NYC but certainly urban. Four distinct seasons. And, it's hilly and the landscape is lovely.

The downside? No mountains, no ocean, no beach. Our four seasons can be extreme. And, we're pretty spread out, not a lot of density here in the metro.

eddief
03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
so much good. culture, diversity, the Bay, the Hills, the Sierra, the Food.

a bit o bad: cost of living, 25 inches of rain, too many people know how good it is and can make you hate your car. Correction, I like my car. Hate sitting in it while it is not moving.

roydyates
03-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I love the wide open spaces, expansive vistas, and beautiful sunsets here in Central Jersey. OK maybe not. :)

Seriously, I like the diversity of Central Jersey. Your kids get lots of exposure to different cultures and religions. The Bay Area is the only place that comes to mind as similar.

Also seriously, The thing I miss most in NJ is the lack of expansive vistas. Anytime I visit family in Colorado or Santa Fe or Maine, I spend hours sitting on their decks and staring at their views.

jmeloy
03-15-2011, 08:57 PM
...so let me chime in.

We've lived in the KC area for 30 years now. It has been a great place to live and raise our kids. Good schools in most of the metro. Reasonable taxes, low cost of living. Economically diverse and we've been largely insulated from big economic swings either direction. I can ride thirty minutes from my driveway and be in the country, all on relatively safe roads. Decent culture and arts, not NYC but certainly urban. Four distinct seasons. And, it's hilly and the landscape is lovely.

The downside? No mountains, no ocean, no beach. Our four seasons can be extreme. And, we're pretty spread out, not a lot of density here in the metro.

and chucky, our winter(s) has been CRAPPY (again). I'm dreaming of somewhere similar with better weather....

endosch2
03-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I live in Central / Northern NH

Pros:

No Sales or Income Tax
Great riding - dozens of traffic free rides for miles from my driveway, climbs, anything you can think of - no traffic, sprawl,
I can ride to Canada without going through a traffic light
Not a lot of hassles from drivers
Clean air - no crime, mountains, hiking, etc
Organized group rides every night of the week diuring the summer
Great 4 season sports - 30 minutes to skiing in winter
Loads of XC skiing
Huge Lake for boating/ swiming in summer

Cons:
I have to have a job where I travel 3 days or so a week in order to make a good income
Winter is long - riding season is only Late March - November
Not a lot of culture / eat out, etc
Property tax is somewhat high
Lots of crusty old new england types
Have to drive 15-20 minutes to buy anything like groceries
Have to drive 30-40 minutes for most other purchases
Have to drive 1 hour to airport for work travel
April "mud" season
High cost of home heat / energy

ThasFACE
03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
You can take a train out and ride back or vice versa.

A train to Croton-on-Hudson, or White Plains, or Stamford, takes less than an hour.
I'm digging in on this one. I've convinced myself that riding around here is crap and I refuse to be convinced otherwise.

thendenjeck
03-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Brooklyn, NY

dislikes:
the people
the garbage
the traffic
the roads
the winter weather
the cops
the gentrification

the summer weather
24 hour stores everywhere
public transportation
no tsunamis
the commute to work

lol @ complaining about gentrification on a serotta board

thendenjeck
03-15-2011, 09:51 PM
just hit 15 months in Brooklyn (2nd time around), and to be GD honest, I absolutely hate it, try as I have to learn to love it (as i did as a visitor many times over). yes, I appreciate the availability and diversity of "culture", yet I haven't been to a museum in months. every band in the world plays here, yet I never manage to see them. my rent's so high I can't afford a studio to make my work, and I have to work 60 hours a week to be able to eat and buy clothes. I used to love riding here in 2003 as a young fixie freak, but in my "old age" as a roadie-to-be, the NYPD crackdown has killed cycling for me (although i did the Nyack ride for teh first time the other day and had a blast).

the summer trash piles.
the post-snow sidewalk dog feces confetti.
the 15" deep black sludge pools oin every street corner that follow every horrid snow
the winter that alone could turn joan baez into burzum.
the number of times per day I inadvertently make full body contact with a stranger.
the size of my apartment.
my craigslist roommates.
the subway.
the rats.
the pressure.
the rent.
the cost of my groceries and the ordeal it takes to go get them.
everything related to riding bikes as of late.

and to be fair: positives:

ethnic diversity
street festivals
public transportation compared to other cities
artsNculture
the ladies :cool:
beer :beer:
living somewhere old friends visit :fight:
my girlfriend
the ease with which i can find interesting jobs making a ton of money (which is why i stay)

bottom line: too much culture, not enough nature.

DHallerman
03-16-2011, 06:20 AM
bottom line: too much culture, not enough nature.

After 18 years living in Brooklyn, I was happy to move to northern Westchester five years ago.

Lots of nature, great and quiet "country" roads for cycling (with more polite drivers, too), and yet 1-hour train access to NYC when I want more culture.

Dave, who is concerned about the large and abundant potholes in most local roads especially with not much money to repair them

konstantkarma
03-16-2011, 08:45 AM
North Central Maryland, 20 miles North East of Baltimore, Harford County.

Likes.......

Lots of rolling hills and farmland
diversity of terrain..hills, steep hills, and flats as you head toward the bay
multiple routes from my garage door
access to open roads and farmlands in South Central PA
decent mountain bike and cross close by at Gunpowder State Parks
close to cultural opportunity in B'more, DC, Towson University etc.
historically interesting
stable economy, good job prospects, good schools
mild winters

Dislikes......

clueless drivers.....but this is a problem most places
rampant materialism.....a cultural problem
lack of respect for the environment....the amount of trash on the sides of the roads is appalling
Ravens fans....Purple Friday? Come on! Full disclosure: This may have something to do with my curse of growing up a Browns fan :crap:

fourflys
03-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Full disclosure: This may have something to do with my curse of growing up a Browns fan :crap:

that's rough right there... but at least it taught you patience... :D

signed a Colts fan since they moved to Indy... yes, I suffered through the Jeff George years...

johnnymossville
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
• Many miles of great hilly roads with little traffic to ride on.

• Some very talented riders and good cycling clubs in the area to ride with.

• In the more rural/semi rural areas I like how the car drivers seem to be fairly courteous towards riders.

Dislikes:

• Commuting by bike kinda sucks. Fast moving heavy traffic and no shoulder, at least on the choice of routes I have.

• less courteous drivers in the more populated areas.

• it's just a bit too far from those really great extended climbs (miles long) to use in training regularly

christian
03-16-2011, 02:03 PM
After 18 years living in Brooklyn, I was happy to move to northern Westchester five years ago.David, where did you move to? Ivy and I are in Chappaqua these days. We should get together for a ride.