PDA

View Full Version : LBS repair of carbon frame

brenick
03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
A friend of mine crashed his Colnago carbon fiber bike. The fork broke and the shop found a "soft spot" on the underside of the downtube. The shop installed a new fork and put a patch on the downtube about 6 inches by 3 inches in size.

I know that Calfee does frame repair, but I never heard of a local shop repairing carbon frames themselves. I'm telling my friend I wouldn't ride the bike. Since it was damaged in a crash, it's not something that would be covered under warranty.

Have any of you had a carbon frame repaired by a local shop?

ultraman6970
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Well warranty does not cover a crash so your friend had a super expensive frame trashed. Fork is an easy fix, get a new one, frames it depends where's the problem you can fix it your self.

They found a weak spot? touching the bike? well i bet that if you do that with your carbon frame you will find at least 3 to 4 places where the carbon is thinner aswell. Doesn't mean it will brake tomorrow, doesnt mean it got softer with the accident in the case of your friend, is because of design. I have noticed that under the D/T carbon is thinner all the time so it does not surprise me what u say at all.

With crashes, carbon just crack does not get "weaker". Or u hit the frame right were u shouldn't or you hit it right in the places where the frame is stronger. Your friends saved a few grands, good for him and the lbs, carbon is the same than work with fiber glass, besides those repair kits have good instructions and you don't need to be Einstein to put them, the next time that frame fails, if fails; will be somewhere else.

Cya :)

BobbyJones
03-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I know guys who have repaired CF race bikes and besides from the appearance, the areas seem to hold up fine. Actually one bike was repaired twice- once by Calfee and the second "in house".

I'd like to say "its just fabric and plastic" but I know better.

false_Aest
03-13-2011, 10:13 PM
sometimes when the going gets tough i put bandaids on condoms too

rice rocket
03-13-2011, 10:58 PM
sometimes when the going gets tough i put bandaids on condoms too

I usually melt it back...

But yeah, it's hard to say whether or not the shop knows what they're doing without speaking to them in person. It's not rocket science, just some sanding, mixing, and squeezing... ;)

biker72
03-14-2011, 06:30 AM
My LBS won't repair any structural damage on a carbon frame. If it's in warranty, the frame is sent back to the factory. Non warranty is sent to a local shop that specializes in carbon repair.

Lots of potential liability problems.

false_Aest
03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Lots of potential liability problems.

that's the exact reason I stopped having sex.

leooooo
03-14-2011, 08:54 AM

I've got to introduce you to some better lawyers! :D

old_fat_and_slow
03-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Bwa ha Haaaaaaaaaaa. You funny ! ! ! :hello: