PDA

View Full Version : How ‘BOUT that Giro, anyway? . . .

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Given his predilection for breaking wind via his mouth, I never thought I would find myself actually cheering for Simoni to win the Giro, but I have to feel just a bit sorry for him at getting second. You know with his ego he is probably thinking right about now that second is no better than last place. He DID ride a truly aggressive and hard fought race, from what I’ve read. This Giro should make a great DVD set when WCP gets it released.

And on Velo News, was that a photo I saw of Salvodelli actually SMILING???? ;)

Other post mortem armchair analysis, anyone? :argue:

BBDave

93legendti
05-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Very exciting finish. I think it was a great Giro. Paolo seems like a worthy winner. This is 8 Grand Tours in 6 years for this team!!!

ada@prorider.or
05-29-2005, 03:18 PM
This is 8 Grand Tours in 6 years for this team!!![/QUOTE]

sorry?
this a new team discovery? or do you also count
7 eleven from the start?
becuase its all mr ockewi....
by the way i also advise phonak and....
also big uci bo..............

Tom Byrnes
05-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Cees,

I think 93legendti's reference is to other individual wins in GC by U.S. Postal Service riders:

Tour de France - 6 wins (Lance)
Tour d'Espana - 1 win (Heras)

and now

Giro d'Italia - 2005 (now Discovery)

Tom

coylifut
05-29-2005, 06:25 PM
This is 8 Grand Tours in 6 years for this team!!!

sorry?
this a new team discovery? or do you also count
7 eleven from the start?
becuase its all mr ockewi....
by the way i also advise phonak and....
also big uci bo..............[/QUOTE]

I think most Americans view this team as Postal with a new sponsor

e-RICHIE
05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
me make-em post error.

e-RICHIE
05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
I think most Americans view this team as Postal with a new sponsor

...or thom weisel's team.

coylifut
05-29-2005, 06:58 PM

yeah, what e-RICHIE said

e-RICHIE
05-29-2005, 06:58 PM
yeah, what e-RICHIE said

you know the lineage?

coylifut
05-29-2005, 07:05 PM
yes

rePhil
05-29-2005, 07:43 PM
To win on another forum. Yep, stuck my neck out, and for the first time that I can remember I actually got one right. (other than LA)
Salvodelli was my sentimental favorite.He did what he had to do to win. Even admitting that he did not win lika a great champion.
During a visit to the Marinoni factory a few years back they had a poster of Paulo on a Cannondale in the showroom. I thought it was a bit strange but was told that he was Mr. Marinoni's nephew.
I hope OLN keeps some coverage after Lance. The Giro was an awesome race.
From other forums I have read many folks were happy with OLN's webcasts. I for one missed the daily live tv coverage.

Ti Designs
05-29-2005, 08:30 PM

Don't you mean one of Thom Weisel's teams?

e-RICHIE
05-29-2005, 08:38 PM

i am not sure what that means, but clearly
this one is/was the jewel in the crown.

PaulE
05-30-2005, 06:16 AM

Besides USPS Masters, wasn't Subaru-Montgomery one of Thom Weisel's teams?

Climb01742
05-30-2005, 06:18 AM
interesting that both simoni and diluca cramped on saturday. both cramped after doing the gravel road climb. where, because of the gravel road, they wouldn't let team cars be among the riders. meaning: no cars, no water. no water = cramps. also since they were both driving the break, pausing to drink would have been tough. interesting that the road surface could have contributed to them both cramping, and thus losing giro. whereas paolo kept calm, drank, recovered and held on. a 2-bit theory, anyway. :p ;) :D

wwtsui
05-30-2005, 11:59 AM
My ^&*( Tivo thingy inexplicably missed both Saturday's and Sunday's OLN "coverage" :crap: -- anybody found any clips online? All I've found so far is on RAI (I think that's an Italian TV network) -- my utter inability to guess what Italian words mean is making for some pretty slow surfing...