PDA

View Full Version : Hydrapak Questions & Compare it to Camelbak

dekindy
03-12-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a Camelbak Slipstream that has 50 ounces capacity. I purchased it because I needed at least three bottles capacity so that I could skip 1 rest stop on the Ride Across Indiana.

The Slipstream gives me 2 bottles capacity + the 2 bottles on my frame is 4 bottles in total. I need 3 bottles capacity to skip one rest stop and 5 bottles capacity to skip 2 rest stops so the Camelbak does not meet the latter requirement.

I am considering a Hydrapak Avila that gives me 70 ounces capacity and would get me to the necessary 5 bottle capacity. In addition I like the following features that the Hydrapak has and the Camelbak that I already own doesn't:
- Insulation around the reservior to keep the water cooler. I wonder how well it works? The Camelbak has no insulation but does keep water colder than a bottle, especially if I remember to blow the water in the tube back into the bladder after each drink.
- Quick release feature on hose. The Camelbak is virtually impossible to remove and reinstall the hose.
- Top and bottom hose routing option and easier routing of the hose. The Camelbak is very cumbersome to install and remove from the pack and it has to be done everytime you fill the bladder unless you want to take a chance on getting the pack all wet.
- Bladder is easy to disconnect hose and remove from pack and has a folding end tab that makes it easy to fill the bladder. The Bladder also turns inside out for easy cleaning.
- The hose is difficult to place in and remove from it's holder when I get a drink. The Hydrapak has a simple magnet attachment that makes it easy and simple to get a drink.

In short, the Hydrapak design addresses all the shortcomings of my Camelbak. I can get by with the Camelbak and already have an insulated hose and cleaning kit and accessories. I have not looked at the new Camelbaks but it appears they have been redesigned but I have not got the details yet.

Should I switch to the Hydrapak or has the Camelbak been redesigned to address it's shortcomings? My LBS treats me very well and has Camelbak so I would like to do business with them if possible.

xjoex
03-13-2011, 08:22 AM
I am a huge fan of the Osprey Raptor series of Hydration packs. They might be too mtn bike for you. But the reservoir and hose are easily removable, it is insulated and fits quite well.

Info and pics here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-osprey-raptor-10.html

-Joe

chuckred
03-13-2011, 08:39 AM
I bought two hydrapaks for my Wingnut pack. They're great. Easy to turn inside out to clean, and the hoses disconnect just as easily as they claim. Can't really comment on improvements tha camelback may have made, but I like the hydra bak much more than the old camel bak I have....

dogdriver
03-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Hydrapack is better. Camelback did it first and thus has the inertia and brand recognition (think Kleenex), but the world has moved on...

fourflys
03-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I am a huge fan of the Osprey Raptor series of Hydration packs. They might be too mtn bike for you. But the reservoir and hose are easily removable, it is insulated and fits quite well.

Info and pics here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-osprey-raptor-10.html

-Joe

I like the sound of that Osprey pack... and Joe knows a thing or two about making something to hold stuff... ;)

kramnnim
03-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Hmm, my first and only hydration pack is a Hydrapack...your description of the Camelback bladder sounds extremely annoying.

dekindy
03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
They have a video of the Hydrapak bladder being over by a forklift but a LBS says that the zippers are very cheap and break and rest of bag is not as well made as the Osprey.

mtb_frk
03-14-2011, 06:00 PM
The thing that annoys me the most with my camelbak is the cap where you fill it is so hard to open up sometimes it feels like my fingers are going to break before it I can get it to budge.

Here s a link to a thread on mtbr about the wingnut pack, which I have considered trying.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=363763

http://www.wingnutgear.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=117

gdw
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Never tried a Hydrapak bag but their bladders are used in Nathan's trail running packs and are exceptional. They're easy to fill and clean plus the bit valve works really well.

The best feature of the Camelbak bladders is the thickness of the material and the airtight cap. They are a pain in the butt to open but make great pillows for bikepacking. Hydrapak bladders seem a bit frail compared to them.

dekindy
03-15-2011, 12:02 PM

-Joe

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I was not aware of this brand. The Hydroform bladder and the pack design to hold the bladder in place are unique and superior it appears to me. The straps are easy to adjust and it seems comfortable. A local shop has the Raptor and Viper so I am on my way to figure out which model. The lifetime warranty is superior also.

gdw
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Check out the smaller Talon models as well.