PDA

View Full Version : Shimano shifter ergonomics

feta99
03-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Hello,

I was in a bike store today trying out the new Shimano shifters(ultegra) and I found the levers to be slightly too wide for my hands, felt kind of think and clunky. I was thinking of trying shimano on one of my bikes but am having doubts. There was a campy bike next to it and those levers felt almost perfect. Anyone else feel the same way?

Cheers,
A

yetitotheheady
03-13-2011, 03:45 AM
I guess its all personal preference when it comes down to it. I had a similar thought with sram rival compared to the new shimano ultegra. I guess I like how the hoods curve further upward with ultegra, without looking rather huge and chunky like the previous generations of ultegra.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Hello,

I was in a bike store today trying out the new Shimano shifters(ultegra) and I found the levers to be slightly too wide for my hands, felt kind of think and clunky. I was thinking of trying shimano on one of my bikes but am having doubts. There was a campy bike next to it and those levers felt almost perfect. Anyone else feel the same way?

Cheers,
A

Use the levers that your hands like the most...and if it doesn't matter....use Campagnolo.....

FlashUNC
03-13-2011, 08:08 AM
For me, Shimano's 9 speed Ultegra and Dura Ace shifters had about the most comfortable fit ever. Not sure what their engineers are thinking these days.

I'm now riding the new Campy Hood shape, and it looks ugly but feels fantastic.

biker72
03-13-2011, 09:10 AM
My last Trek had 9 speed Ultegra shifters on it. Perfect fit for me.
I'm currently using 9 speed Campy Record shifters on my Serotta. Shifting is better but the hoods are not quite right for my hands.

rugbysecondrow
03-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I noticed that the older Shimano style worked well, but seem to prop me rather than act as a grip. Between my thumb and forefinger there would be a good bit of contact, but the rest of the hand wasn't invited in. When I switched to campy, although I have large hands, the interface involved more of the hand. This meant my hands were more comfortable for longer periods of time.

yetitotheheady
03-13-2011, 01:41 PM
I noticed that the older Shimano style worked well, but seem to prop me rather than act as a grip. Between my thumb and forefinger there would be a good bit of contact, but the rest of the hand wasn't invited in. When I switched to campy, although I have large hands, the interface involved more of the hand. This meant my hands were more comfortable for longer periods of time.

I really liked the "prop" vs more contact area description here. Great explanation of a hard to explain feel. I completely agree by the way.

feta99
03-15-2011, 01:02 PM
So, do what do Campy fans think of Shimano when riding their Di2 bikes(surely there must be a few out there who might not like to admit to this)?