PDA

View Full Version : OT - Toyota Rav4

TMB
03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I have been out car shopping of late and have looked at and driven more cars than I want to.

I have spent numerous hours sitting in front of this thing reading reviews and what not and have pretty much decided that when I will be trading the Audi in for a Rav4.

Lots of room
great visibility
bags of power
comfortable seats and ride

etc.

Anyone have any comments pro or con on this vehicle??

The only downside I have thought of so far is how high up my bikes will be when they are on the roof.

Thx,

TMB

biker72
03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I actually looked at the RAV-4, Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue.

Nissan Rogue:
Nice ride.
Adequate power.
Too small to get my bikes inside. Dealbreaker.

Toyota RAV-4:
Excellent MPG and power with the V6.
Good ride.
My bikes would fit inside.
I hate the external spare tire on the rear door. That was the dealbreaker for me.

I wound up getting the Honda CR-V.

Ken Robb
03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
If you will have your bikes on top rather than inside the car/truck do you really need a mini-truck like a RAV? Anything that tall and square will use more fuel and handle/ride worse than a sedan of similar $$.

I was semi-shocked last month when my 2011 Jeep Liberty from AVIS got 15.6-21 MPG in almost all highway driving. It had the 3/7 liter V-6 with about 210 HP. Camrys that I have rented got 28MPG under the same conditions and were a lot nicer to drive.

1happygirl
03-12-2011, 03:25 PM
You can carry them all inside with one of these:
http://www.biketote.com/pics/products/204.jpg

The babies will stay in place without scratching your vehicle, in a crash, and upside down. (I promise)

Re: the Rav this will likely be my next for towing and toting stuff. Great gas mileage. No I don't have one but my friends that do swear by theirs and I have talked to a ton of people who are happy owners.

Just my fyi, but the tow package (which you're prob not interested in) is only an accessory on the V6.

PS I recently drove all of these on the same day and the plus for me was the way the back door opens (easy for bike in and out). The CR-V for me was more expensive with not as many standard features. I felt, no actual stats here, the turning radius was tighter on the Rav-YFMV (your feeling may vary).

eddief
03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
14 inches shorter than the next, current edition. I like how small mine is most of the time, but would give one gonad for a V6 newer one. The Rav is sorta plain in a good way...for my taste. I drove the V6 once and was blown away by the accelaration and then read the fuel economy is only one mile less than the 4 cylinder.

I carry one bike inside mine and also have roof mounted rails if I want the interior for people and stuff. When the bikes are on top, I simply bring along a small, folding step stool and all is fine for reaching the bikes on top.

Even though Toyota has had some recent quality issues, my guess is they still beat the rest of the world for putting together cars.

For whatever it's worth, I heard the car editor from Consumer Reports being interviewed the other day and he was all jolly about the V6 Rav.

My preference would be for Toyota to stash the spare, but I have easily learned to live with it. Wonder why they keep it mounted on the back?

Get one.

old_fat_and_slow
03-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Please get a Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner extended cab instead.

You can thank me later.

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2011, 04:17 PM
. . . . where my only option is a roof rack is a no-go for me. I have simply heard too many nightmare stories about owners who forgot just once that they had the bikes up there--and once is too many times if it's at the wrong time.

You seem to be looking at small SUV's--all with 4x4? Is that the requirement here? Are there other overriding reasons you need a small SUV? Have you tried a Subaru Forester?

BBD

OBD
03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda Element.

not only can you fit SEVERAL bikes inside, you won't even have to take a wheel off!

WINNING.

AngryScientist
03-12-2011, 04:57 PM
If you will have your bikes on top rather than inside the car/truck do you really need a mini-truck like a RAV? Anything that tall and square will use more fuel and handle/ride worse than a sedan of similar $$.

I was semi-shocked last month when my 2011 Jeep Liberty from AVIS got 15.6-21 MPG in almost all highway driving. It had the 3/7 liter V-6 with about 210 HP. Camrys that I have rented got 28MPG under the same conditions and were a lot nicer to drive.

as usual, i agree with Ken fully on this one. A lower to the ground car will both get better fuel economy and be gobs easier to put bikes on top of. when my wife owned an SUV i never liked putting my bikes on top because i really had to reach to get them up there. the new jetta - its a snap to put them up there at shoulder height.

veloduffer
03-12-2011, 05:06 PM
The RAV is the standard bearer of its class, so I would not expect any real issues with the car. Instead of a roof rack, I would suggest getting a hitch for the rear and using a rear rack, like the Thule T2.

csm
03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
the Element is worth a look. I am on my second one.
the original rav4 was based on Toyota's Celica rally car platform.

eddief
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
could be hassle if you need to get in the back door with bikes mounted...or do the racks easily swing out of the way?

jmeloy
03-12-2011, 06:21 PM
We have one of each and the ride is much nicer on the Rav.

gasman
03-12-2011, 06:22 PM
RAV-4

Chick car

Element

End of the line for this model.

Kidding but don't use a roof rack, use a hitch rack.

dvs cycles
03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Please get a Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner extended cab instead.

You can thank me later.Funny. I went from a 1999 Pre-runner to a 2004 Rav-4 and it served my bike needs great. I started missing the truck for Home Depot runs a year later.
At the 3 year mark we got our tandem. Hated having it on top as it limited where we could go after the ride without worrying about the bike or over head clearances.
Now back to a Pre-runner with a shell.
I'll always have a truck from now on. :beer:
Anyone need a Thule set up for a Rav with 3 single and one tandem rack? :crap:

veloduffer
03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
could be hassle if you need to get in the back door with bikes mounted...or do the racks easily swing out of the way?

Yes, they can be lowered to open the hatch, as long as it is one the lifts up. I can't remember but there are one or two small SUVs where the rear door swings open like a side door.

I prefer the tray mounted hitch rack, as it won't touch the paint and you can carry any bike. With the non-tray hitch racks, you need a bar for bikes lacking a horizontal top tube, like many mtb these days.

eddief
03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
as do CRVs.

54ny77
03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
we have a rav4. it's awesome. holds more crap than you can possibly imagine. we have the 4 cyl "sport" model, which for my wife is plenty. if it was mine i'd get it with the 6 cyl. in "limited" trim. no joke, that little suv handles fantastic in the city (we had it for 2 years in nyc) and on highways, and even with the 4 cyl. it's plenty quick for 99% of driving situations. gas mileage decent too. lots of practical little features in there.

the past summer i hauled well over 2k lbs. worth of construction demo debris in the back with seats folded down and most of interior covered up with padding/plastic to minimize damage. cleaned up like a charm and almost good as new.

unless something really compelling comes along, we'll probably replace it with the same model at some point in the far away future. :beer:

54ny77
03-12-2011, 08:42 PM
dvs--did a tandem fit inside your rav4 with rear seat down?

Funny. I went from a 1999 Pre-runner to a 2004 Rav-4 and it served my bike needs great. I started missing the truck for Home Depot runs a year later.
At the 3 year mark we got our tandem. Hated having it on top as it limited where we could go after the ride without worrying about the bike or over head clearances.
Now back to a Pre-runner with a shell.
I'll always have a truck from now on. :beer:
Anyone need a Thule set up for a Rav with 3 single and one tandem rack? :crap:

akelman
03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
The RAV is the standard bearer of its class, so I would not expect any real issues with the car. Instead of a roof rack, I would suggest getting a hitch for the rear and using a rear rack, like the Thule T2.

This is absolutely right. Seriously, look at the T2. You'll never go back. Also, we have a Rav and love it. The V6, which we have, is quick -- for a car in this class, I mean -- but I'm not sure it's necessary unless you're going to be towing things (other than a T2).

93legendti
03-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I have been out car shopping of late and have looked at and driven more cars than I want to.

I have spent numerous hours sitting in front of this thing reading reviews and what not and have pretty much decided that when I will be trading the Audi in for a Rav4.

Lots of room
great visibility
bags of power
comfortable seats and ride

etc.

Anyone have any comments pro or con on this vehicle??

The only downside I have thought of so far is how high up my bikes will be when they are on the roof.

Thx,

TMB
I leased one last year after my Volvo XC90 lease was up. Over 3 yrs it will save me $12,000 over an XC90.

I LOVED my XC90 and drove one for 5 years. I only leased the Rav4 because I knew we were in for years of economic hurt and wanted to save money.

I hate it. It rides rough and bikes don't fit in it well at all.

If you're trading down from a high end car, I think you will be dissapointed.

soulspinner
03-12-2011, 09:32 PM
volvo xc60

Bobbo
03-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I think the new Chevy Equinox would be worth comparing, especially if you want to support Government Motors. I think this vehicle is the best execution I've ever seen from any of the big three. The four is a bit anemic, but the six should be fine. Don't know how the mileage compares to the Rav 4, and I'm sure the Rav with the v6 is probably more fun to drive.

But I still think the Chevy is nicer than the Rav OR CR-V. (yes, better put together and with nicer materials - really!) Plus it may be big enough to skip the rack.

Dekonick
03-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Honda Ridgeline. Just test drive one and you will see.

:)

johnnymossville
03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Is the Rav4 still stuck with the 4spd automatic? I know it was when I was shopping. The Escape's 6spd and Ford Sync won out in the end for me.

johnnymossville
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
You should be looking at the Kia Sportage and Sorrento for sure. Both really nice vehicles in that price range.

93legendti
03-12-2011, 11:10 PM
You should be looking at the Kia Sportage and Sorrento for sure. Both really nice vehicles in that price range.
In Israel last summer we rented a Kia Carnival for a month and I thought it was a great car. We reserved another one for this summer's vacation.

TMB
03-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Thank you for the comments everyone.

ergott
03-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I talked my dad into one. He's on his second. I talked my wife into one. she is on her second (bought my dad's first).

The V6 is as economical as most 4s out there. The power is nice to have. The gas pedal is a bit sensitive so you have to go easy off the line. The ride is nice enough (I drive cars).

The rear door is a bit heavy, but access hasn't been a problem as we never park in the street. I'd rather have the tire on the door because the floor on the Rav is nice and low.

We looked at the Chevy for my dad and the mileage wasn't an improvement even with the anemic 4 it comes with. Major deal breaker.

Louis
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Toyota RAV-4:
Excellent MPG and power with the V6.
Good ride.
My bikes would fit inside.
I hate the external spare tire on the rear door. That was the dealbreaker for me.

I wound up getting the Honda CR-V.

So beyond location of the spare tire, are there any other significant differences between these two vehicles?

I'm putting together a list of "cars I should test drive" and have been debating whether I should add an SUV to the list. Since SUV's aren't high on my list of favorites, I'm not willing to give up two slots to that vehicle type, but am willing to try out one of them.

TIA

eddief
03-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Ravs come in either 4 or 6 cylinder and CRVs only in 4 cylinder. One of the things I like about my RAV is, as in bike seats, my butt likes my Rav seats. These less expensive SUVs are notorius for how much road noise comes through via the tires, etc. Watch out for that too.

dvs cycles
03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
dvs--did a tandem fit inside your rav4 with rear seat down?
No. That's why I had to put it on the roofwith a Thule rack. ;)
The 2004 year the back seats were removable or tumbled forward and did not fold flat like the current generation.
If I took both out I could fit 2 singles inside or I usually just tumbled one forward and it worked for 1 single at an angle.
The old design had over 40 inches of height the newer version would not work for a bike my size.

russ46
03-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Can anyone weight in regarding the Subaru Forester in this thread? I've been considering it along with the two fore mentioned.

AngryScientist
03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Can anyone weight in regarding the Subaru Forester in this thread? I've been considering it along with the two fore mentioned.

all i really know about the forrester is from when i was looking two years ago, this is what i determined:

-the difference in feel between trim levels is huge, the base forester feels cheap inside with lackluster appointments, the highest trim levels are very nice

-the fuel economy (of all subies really) is lackluster. not terrible, but not great either. if you're investing (take that word litely) in a car you should get something with fuel economy that you can live with, especially with the real possibility of 4+ $/gal this summer.

biker72
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Consumer Reports has the Subaru very highly rated. I have no personal experience with them.

victoryfactory
03-13-2011, 06:24 PM

In '08 I was in the market as my '98 Volvo V70XC was tired.
I drove the '09 Forester XT, Jeep Liberty, Land Rover LR2, Kia Sportage
and Rav 4 Ford Escape is not bad either.

Results:

Jeep was clumsy slow and stupid but great off road.
Kia was a little cheap feeling
LR2 was way too expensive for me and had over complicated electronics and
surprisingly little cargo space.
Forester XT was fast, nice design, not "girly", huge sun roof ,great off road
with 9.5" of clearance, SUPER visibility and decent gas mileage.
Rav was on paper the best all around. smooth, fast, best room but I could
not get past the design. I just couldn't see myself driving a car that looks
like it belongs in a cartoon.

So I went with the Forester. 50k miles later, I'm super pleased with it.

VF