PDA

View Full Version : Chain installation question...

SoCalSteve
05-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi all,

Just curious, how many times can you "splice" (add pins to a chain) before it weakens it? If ever????

As always, thanks in advance,

Steve

PS: The reason I am asking is I sized a chain for a 12-25 cassette, decided to go with a 12-27...can I add links without compromising the integrity (strength) of the chain?

Louis
05-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Done properly, putting a pin in should not weaken a chain. However, Shimano does say that once you remove one of the factory-installed pins and replace it with one that you’ve inserted yourself, you should never again break the chain at that spot. Next time around choose another spot for the break. You can tell them apart by looking at the pin’s face.

Louis

Smiley
05-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Try or use a Magic Link :banana:
I don't use shimano chains anymore and opt for the SRAM chains with the magic link for the reason stated above about the pins .

Dave
05-29-2005, 08:36 AM
If you set the chain length properly for a 12-25, then it should not need to be longer for a 12-27.

The proper way to set the chain length is using the little/little (39/12)combination. Set the length to the maximum that maintains some tension on the chain (the lower pulley swings away from it's fully retracted position) and does not allow the chain to rub on the upper pulley chain guide tab. If the chain rubs on the chain guid tab, then 1 inch of chain should be removed. You could also shift up to the 39/13, the smallest combo that should be used, and see if the rubbing goes away. If not, then remove 1 inch of chain.

With this chain length, you can use any cassette within the derailleur's capacity without changing the chain length. Using a shorter chain does not improve shifting, it just reduces the derailleur's capacity.

Lifelover
05-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Try or use a Magic Link :banana:
I don't use shimano chains anymore and opt for the SRAM chains with the magic link for the reason stated above about the pins .

There seems to be different levels of 9 speed sram chains. Some as cheap as 12.95 at Nashbar. Sram 9 speed chain (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=76&subcategory=1099&brand=&sku=3082&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=)

How much difference is there in the different models. I'm planning on buying a few of the ones above.

Lifelover
05-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Done properly, putting a pin in should not weaken a chain. However, Shimano does say that once you remove one of the factory-installed pins and replace it with one that you’ve inserted yourself, you should never again break the chain at that spot. Next time around choose another spot for the break. You can tell them apart by looking at the pin’s face.

Louis

The last one I set a new pin in (Yesterday) that link was very, very stiff. I had to play with it (bend back and forth and pry with screw driver) to get it to operate smoothly. Clearly I did something wrong. Any ideas?

Dave
05-29-2005, 11:26 AM
All chain tools have two anvils. The lower one is used to remove or install a pin and the upper one is used to "loosen up" the overly tight fit that nearly always occurs when a pin is installed. It only takes a very small fraction of a turn to loosen up a tight link.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtchan.shtml

To answer our question about chain quality. I think you get what you pay for. A top of the line chain will last longer, IF it's well maintained. Some folks prefer to perform minimal maintenance and replace chains frequently.

I expect to get at least 5000 miles, maybe much more, from my Campy 10 chain, so although it cost $40, the cost per mile won't be any more than a couple of cheap chains.

Too Tall
05-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Dave's right of course however I just replace chains before they are worn...saves grief when swapping many diff. wheels / cassettes. Use a good quality chain wear device. My favorite is the whipperman brand.

All of the SRAM chains are excellent. As a rule I buy the second or third down in the line regardless of that they are labeling it and always avoid their best chain (drilled side plates are the give away) as they are the only SRAMS I've ever broken.

Hey! Don't use a screwdrive on the chain pal!!!! Do what Mr. Dave advises and look closely that pins are driven evenly. Park tool website has GREAT advice.

Lifelover
05-29-2005, 08:00 PM
The park tool site is great. I often go to it just a little late.

I've done some more searching and found that it is common for people to use the SRAM power link or the Whipperman Conex link with Shimano chains.

Seeing that all my bikes were purchased used and I don't know exactly how old the chains are I will be ordering a batch of new ones (SRAM I'm thinking) and replace them all.