PDA

View Full Version : classique ti vs old serotta ti?

steel515
03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
how is weight/quality (stiffness) compared to the 2 old models?
The Classique has no Colorado Concept tubing?

oliver1850
03-12-2011, 12:09 PM

dekindy
03-12-2011, 01:06 PM
The advantage of butting is to save weight?

Wouldn't the Classique models be made to the same stiffness as older standard or non custom models, just weigh a little more?

Sam in VA
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Serotta also tapers the external diameters of their Colorado series tubing to maker it thicker where more stiffness is needed and thinner where its not - to save weight and add comfort. I've also heard that the thinner sections between butts off butted tubing contribute to the "Lively" feelig and add comfort. The "S" bend chainstays were limited to the higher end Ti models. They are claimed to increase stiffness and comfort.

mike p
03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I could be wrong but I believe the main reason for butted tubing is for light weight. It's butted on the ends for ease of welding not a stiffer ride. You get stiffness from a larger dia. tubing not thicker walled tubing.

Mike

Marcusaurelius
03-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Butting not only saves weight but makes for a more lively ride. I believe I read in an old Serotta catalog that the Legend (Colorado) Ti was one of the first butted titanium frames.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I could be wrong but I believe the main reason for butted tubing is for light weight. It's butted on the ends for ease of welding not a stiffer ride. You get stiffness from a larger dia. tubing not thicker walled tubing.

Mike

Butting saves weight, on tubes of same outside diameter, essentialy the same 'stiffness' or livliness...round tube to round tube.

Some ti builders 'butt' their tubes to make the welded portion thicker, to prevent damage when welding ti..then they market it as something else related to ride. Some other builders use this walled ti tubes thruout cuz their welders are really good and can weld thin walled ti w/o problems.