PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rapid Tourist , Sandy is WELL DONE

Smiley
05-28-2005, 01:05 PM
I followed your orders to the tee . SandyMan is so cooked that you can put a fork in him . I hope your ride tomorrow is as enjoyable as the one we had today . Do me a favor a make detours around the Hills . And lets all remember that we tell Sandy that the Hills are alive with the sound of music , or maybe Aint no mountain high enough . Right now our guy is starting to wuss out of the Desolation Hill climb that Alexis has planned for our Friday ride . We can't let that happen , can we . Encouragement from all please :banana:

Rapid Tourist
05-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, sounds like quite an adventure when down (or should I say, went up) in Merryland today. Take it easy my friend SMiley, Sandy and I will take you on in Saratoga. :cool: We'll be on a Rocky Mountain HIgh, as the late John Denver would say... :banana:

Smiley
05-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Tourista , I was only following your instructions to give him a good ride . Now when it comes to the late John Denver , Its always about Take me home country roads , West Virginia . Your a smart person Tourista , you know what they call the state of W VA , Oh Yeah Baby ... The Mountain State , Almost heaven , which is where Sandy would have rather been today . Our man Sandy , brave soul that he is , I personally will root him on Up Desolation Hill , or Mountain in less than 2 weeks and Your coming along with us .

aLexis
05-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I followed your orders to the tee . SandyMan is so cooked that you can put a fork in him . I hope your ride tomorrow is as enjoyable as the one we had today . Do me a favor a make detours around the Hills . And lets all remember that we tell Sandy that the Hills are alive with the sound of music , or maybe Aint no mountain high enough . Right now our guy is starting to wuss out of the Desolation Hill climb that Alexis has planned for our Friday ride . We can't let that happen , can we . Encouragement from all please :banana:

Does this mean that the "Allez Sandy" road painting I sprayed on the climb is all for naught??? He must join us.

actively adding alphabetic asphalt art across american ascents,
alexis

Smiley
05-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Good One Alexis :banana:
The Big guy made it up spiers falls last year , this one should be NO BIGGIE .
I remember when Sandy did not even attempt to do a hilly ride , he's come a long way in + 2 years . The guy lead a killer hilly ride last weekend . Anybody got EPO ?

Sandy
05-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Thank you, but I think that you painted the wrong sign. Should have been three signs-

1. Two inches after the start of the climb to Lake Desolation, the first sign should have said " Sandy was dropped here."

2. Halfway up the hill, the second sign ahoul have said " Sandy was dropped big time."

3. The third sign should have been painted at the top of the hill- "We waited 24 hours for Sandy, but we got hungry ane rode home."

Still Slowly Soaring,

Sandy

Climb01742
05-28-2005, 03:38 PM
sandy,
i'll push you up desolation, deal?
the marines say no man will be left behind.
our theme for owners weekend will be, no sandy gets left behind.

jeffg
05-28-2005, 04:08 PM
I will you give you a break for this year, but I expect a Maratona dles Dolomites or a Gran Fondo Campagnolo next year. We would be honored to have you in Germany, so it's a quick drive. We are all expecting you ... Talk to Davis P. about the Maratona at Open House. :banana:

Rapid Tourist
05-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Sandy-- you could never EVER be dropped up desolation hill because I will be there, a tiny dot on the distant horizon BEHIND you. :(

SMiley--I hope you saw the humor in my challenge to you --I could never take you on, especialy in the birthplace of your Hors -- Unless I started doping heavily. If I survive Spiers Falls, I 'll be humming one of my favorite jimmy buffett tunes, "my head hurts, my feet stink, and I don't love Jesus..." (no offense to anyone intended)

Smiley
05-28-2005, 05:53 PM
RT , look at Desolation Hill as an apietizer to Spier Falls , I have no idea what Serotta James , Serotta Steve and Serotta Mike have planned for the Big Saturday ride . Obviously Desolation is NOT on the menu , I am glad to be trying this Col out since BBDave speaks of it often . I don't want the Merryland or for that matter the Virginia is for lovers contingent to be known as ...wimps .
I posted to do speirs last year on a tandem and I am glad to have conquered them demons , what is next :banana:

Sandy
05-28-2005, 06:46 PM
If you are but a " tiny dot on the distant horizon BEHIND you.", then either you haven't begun the climb, or you did the ride once, and you are on your second loop. :)

Loopy Sandy

Kevin
05-28-2005, 07:59 PM
I'll be behind both of you. Tough to find a hill on Long Island.

Kevin

Climb01742
05-29-2005, 06:28 AM
i think it's a myth that to be good at climbing hills you need to climb them regularly. wasn't andy hampsten from south dakota? you need fitness to climb. and fitness can be gotten many ways. yes, riding hills is one way. but the fitness to climb can be trained on flatter terrain, too. my point is...guys, i bet you're all strong enough to climb well. don't let the hills psyche you out. the strength and fitness you have built where you live can translate to punching it up a lot of hills. believe! ;)

Rapid Tourist
05-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the inspiration climb!

Sandy
05-29-2005, 07:08 AM
So what are you doing on the forum this AM? You are suppose to be getting all psyched up, ready to punish an old man today in the hills of Maryland. I forgot to tell you that I started the ride 1/2 an hour ago. Bet you never catch up to me. :banana:

So far ahead,

:banana: Sandy :banana:

Sandy
05-29-2005, 07:14 AM
Mr. Hampsten was seen daily climbing up and over Mt. Rushmore. He literally rode over those presidents hundreds of time. :)

Past President,

Sandy

Kevin
05-29-2005, 10:07 AM
i think it's a myth that to be good at climbing hills you need to climb them regularly. wasn't andy hampsten from south dakota? you need fitness to climb. and fitness can be gotten many ways. yes, riding hills is one way. but the fitness to climb can be trained on flatter terrain, too. my point is...guys, i bet you're all strong enough to climb well. don't let the hills psyche you out. the strength and fitness you have built where you live can translate to punching it up a lot of hills. believe! ;)

Climb,

Since you shot down my excuse of living on a sandbar as to why I may get dropped at the Open House, would you believe .......................

that I have only 1 kidney, how about ..............................

I just had a quadruple bypass, how about .....................................

I smoke 6 packs of Camel cigarettes, without the filters, each day and I have diminshed lung capacity.......................................... ............

not believing that one either. Boy you are tough, how about I have no natural talent, I have been out of town 147 nights in the last 12 months working on a very large arbitration, when I am "home" I am working 80 hours a week to make up for all of the time I have been out of town, and because of a recent lobotomy I believe that I can conquer that hill you guys have all been discussing.

By the way, when the medic asks:

my health insurance is with Oxford, I am an Organ donor and my wife's contact information, as my next of kin, is on my biker id on my wrist.

With that said, I enjoy riding my bike so I hope to see all of you at the open house.

Kevin

Sandy
05-29-2005, 03:09 PM
I belive the part about the lobotomy, but I think the rest sounds very fishy. :)

Sturgeon Surgeon Sandy

Sandy
05-29-2005, 04:28 PM
The ride that we went on was the one that I led a few weeks ago, except that it skipped Hipsley Mills.

Be prepared. Rapidly Improving Rapid Tourist is certainly improving, in all aspects of her riding. She has a wonderful attitude and approach to cycling and improving.

Don't let her beautiful sweet smile fool you. I did one of my jack rabbit sprints and flew by her at 30 plus mph. She smiled both briefly and sweetly, grabbed me by the throat, almost separating my head from my neck. She deposited me on the side of the road in a very thorny rose bush.

The last time I saw her she was standing over me smiling and laughing, telling me " Old man, don't ever try that again." I won't, that is for sure.

I was approximately 6 feet tall prior to the ride. My neck is now both quite long and bruised. I am now over 7 feet tall, sort of. :)

Watch out for sweet smiling women,

Sweet Smiling Sandy

Smiley
05-29-2005, 04:36 PM
R T wants to make sure she PRESENTS well at Saratoga , funny if she keeps doing Laytonsville rides she'll do better then she thinks . What are your riding plans for tomorrow ? I thought you'd be dead by now .
You and her missed a good Pro race in Arlington VA. The Serotta team had the BEST bikes and the best jerseys but they were a NO SHOW when the final results were in . Too bad since the course favored the ST stay design .

Sandy
05-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Are you going to ride? I was going to take the day off to spend time with Gloria, as I have been riding a lot the last few days. I will get in touch with you.

I actually rode a lot better today. My pedal stroke is improving. Even my climbing, except on steep hills. The Rapid One dropped me on the steep hill near the first rest stop. But I paid her back on some others. :) :)

Sandy

Rapid Tourist
05-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Sandy and I tackled the hills of Laytonsville, and I must say that I don't understand Sandy's feelings of frustration with climbing. He's a terrific climber, AND we were on quite a hilly ride, AND the "old man" had been biking for four straight days!! Heh, heh, heh. Old man NOT, man of steel YES. He's an animal!! He beat me up every hill but one, and there were lots of them. :crap:

We saw quite a crash coming down one hill. A rider took a tight turn too wide, and washed out on some gravel. Yikes. Hold on tight, guys and girls. Otherwise, it was a great ride! Of course, we missed our comrades on the tandem.

Smiley
05-30-2005, 08:45 AM
what scares me with any club ride especially the new ones to me is the knowledge of the roads ahead . Blind turns where one does NOT know what to expect are especially scary since many cyclist forget that they must share the road with cars and cars never expect to see cyclists speeding down hill and cutting turns too close . Oh well its no wonder why I slow down on these types of situations . I am glad you did not get tangled in this mess . I understand that Sandy said you road in your drops and looked extremely comforatble on the bike . I know we had a good fit with you the first ride I took you on and you went like a bat out of hell down hill on that now famous Poolesville ride . Keep up the hard work the pay day will show up on Desolation Hill if not Speirs Falls . You Da Bomb Tourist :banana:

Remember the work out of your Fixee it has more to do with you learning to power up hills .