View Full Version : Fake or For Real? CL HSG ad

572cv
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
looks like not for real, based on price:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/2256578993.html

anyone know better?

tuscanyswe
03-11-2011, 12:59 PM
You can always buy it here for 4 times the price :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Serotta-HSG-Carbon-Complete-Bike-/120598447732?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item1c143a4674#ht_500wt_951

brians647
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Dyslexia can be costly.
Damn lucky he didn't reverse venues.

alancw3
03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
i don't see any indication that this is a scam. more like a great buy. just imho! why not ask if any fellow forumites might be able to look at it for you or drive down from vermont. should be an easy day trip.

AngryScientist
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
scam

AngryScientist
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
i don't see any indication that this is a scam. more like a great buy. just imho! why not ask if any fellow forumites might be able to look at it for you or drive down from vermont. should be an easy day trip.

c'mon, did you look at the two links? the pics in the CL add are obviously stolen from the ebay link with a much more attractive price. i'm sure if you e-mail the CL guy, he's out of the country, but he'll be more than happy to arrange free shipping once you wire the money to his nigerian offshore account.

alancw3
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
one sure way to know. contact the seller and go see the bike. as i said, easy day trip from anywhere in vermont. that is standard serotta sales verbage. could be i am more trusting also. another way is to find a bike shop in brooklyn and pay them to evaluate the bike and possibly ship it to you if you purchase (might even do evaluation for free then).

572cv
03-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Yup. t'was what I thought. Yet another thief flagged.

DRZRM
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you think the listing for the same bike (with the same exact pictures) at almost 4 times the price on ebay is the scam? It's being sold in two states 2,000 miles away. You may be trusting, but this ones not even worth the price of an email (se what I did there? Emails are actually free.).

one sure way to know. contact the seller and go see the bike. as i said, easy day trip from anywhere in vermont. that is standard serotta sales verbage. could be i am more trusting also. another way is to find a bike shop in brooklyn and pay them to evaluate the bike and possibly ship it to you if you purchase (might even do evaluation for free then).

alancw3
03-11-2011, 01:55 PM
when i posted my first response the second post was not yet posted. i based my thoughts on the first post. ask sellers of both ads to provide serial number of bike to see if actually the same bike. whenever i have contacted someone on craigslist outside of my area first thing i ask is how i can make arrrangements to see the item (even though i know i cannot go see it) any hestitation on sellers part and i walk away from any additional interest in the item.

rickbb
03-11-2011, 04:07 PM
The eBay listing is unlikely to be a scam. Seller has many active listings for lower value items and recent sales.
I would not contact the CL seller. These ads are very common and often are listed just to harvest (your) email addresses for spam.

AngryScientist
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
just to reinforce the point, from the CL seller:

Hello, I still have the 2009 Serotta HSG Carbon Complete Bike for sale at the price of US$1500.00. I am currently out of state because I work with "Save The Children Foundation" and I am traveling a lot all over the world, where children needs my help. I am now in Quebec,Canada and I will have to stay here for at least 3 months. If you still want to buy it, we can do it with the help of a very good shipping company - www.uship.com. You will have 5 days inspection period to make sure it is in the condition I told you. If you are interested in buying this, just let me know and I will provide all complete details on how this transaction will work. Thanks, Charles Carter

akelman
03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I think it's disgusting that you people are slandering a philanthropist! Who helps children! All over the world! Where they need help! Have you no shame? No decency? No sense of right and wrong?

AngryScientist
03-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Have you no shame? No decency? No sense of right and wrong?

none of those things here :D

DRZRM
03-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Nice to see a man willing to go into the sh*t to help poor suffering Canadians one child at a time.