PDA

View Full Version : Tubular wheels

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 12:05 PM
I remember on the old board that there were a couple wheel builders held in high regard. (I know Kahuna will have that up and running for searches soon (thanks so much!) But I am an impatient girl...)

If I'm going to buy a new set of wheels for tubulars, what does anyone recommend?
If you were going handbuilt, who would you have build them?

Bob H
12-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Peter White has been mentioned many times on the forum and has an excellent reputation. He has built two wheel sets for me and they have been flawless.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/

Bob H.

flydhest
12-13-2003, 12:43 PM
MA,

Lots of folk (including me) recommended Dave Thomas. What I don't know, however, is which rims he uses for tubulars. In any event, as has also been discussed, his website isn't so hot, but he answers the phone (usually) when you call and he's great to talk to about wheels. The Doctor (inter alia) has a set of his wheels and they are great.

theoldman
12-13-2003, 02:10 PM
For non-carbon pre-built you have both the Campy Neutron's and the Mavic k's sl.

For hand made the most popular rim is the Mavic Reflex. Almost any quality LBS can lace them up for you. If you are not comfortable with your LBS doing it, try either Colorado Cyclist or Excel Sports. They both make these wheels.

If you are looking for a rim that is a little nicer, check out the Ambrosio Excellence tubular rim. They are more difficult to find, but they make for a very nice wheel.

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 05:09 PM
I have been looking at Ambrosio rims for a few years now. Trying to think of how I could get them on my bike... I like my campagnolo wheels but Ambrosio just seems to roll off the tounge better...

dnovo
12-13-2003, 05:13 PM
The Neutron and the Mavic SLs are clinchers. Tubular? Velomax makes them, as does Reynolds, Zipp, Campy, Bontrager, and a bunch of others. Dave N.

theoldman
12-13-2003, 05:32 PM
The Mavic k's SL and Campy Neutron come in both tubular and clinchers versions.

theoldman
12-13-2003, 05:38 PM
The fit and finish of the Ambrosio's are very nice. I just built up a pair of Ambrosio Excellence tubular rims and am very happy with them. They weigh a little more than the reflex and are probably a little stronger as well. I choose them for both the strength and the black finishing. I personally do not like the grey finish that you see on the reflex rims.

Kevin
12-13-2003, 05:56 PM
I'll second the recommendation of Dave Thomas. I don't know his set up for tubulars. However, he built a pair of clinchers for me that are outstanding. He is also a pleasure to deal with.

dnovo
12-13-2003, 09:20 PM
"The Mavic k's SL and Campy Neutron come in both tubular and clinchers versions . . ." Sorry, I never saw one, so I assumed that not to be the case. Thanks for letting me know, although still not convinced that tubies are what I want for normal riding, but perhaps I will try a set this Spring. Wouldn't be the first -- or the last -- time I found out I was mistaken. Dave N.

woolly
12-13-2003, 09:36 PM
I'll third the recomenation for Dave Thomas! Dave's build quality and customer service can't be beat.

lithiapark
12-13-2003, 10:58 PM
There is a set of Ambrosio Montreal sewup rims on Campagnolo Victory hubs on EBay currently. I have no knowledge of these rims or these hubs.

rePhil
12-14-2003, 04:04 PM
I can vouch for Joe Young: http://www.youngwheels.com/
Check out his Palmares.

Also Peter Chisholm @ Vecchios:http://www.vecchios.com/

dbrk
12-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Ital-tecno has the Ambrosio rims, I believe. You can find them on eBay usually selling something but www.ital-tecno gets you the same price.

I've had good luck with pre-builts but if you are mindful hunting around you can have handmades for less.

no more tubulars for me, but I admire those who still do this,

dbrk

jerk
12-14-2003, 08:54 PM
jerk thoughts:

handbuilt wheels may be cheap, but they will never be as light and as strong as the better prebuilts due to uneven rear spoke tension as a result of the dish....the jerk's current favorite wheelset is the bontrager race x lite. it is availble tubular and in both standard and aero depth......lighter than a ksyrium and seem to ride a little nicer too. they also can use regular spokes in a pinch....

if you do insist on handbuilts, use a phil wood hub in the back at the very least....most modern tubular rims are very heavy and over built. the reflex tubular and the aforementioned ambrosios are all really heavy junk at this point....but then again a 300gram rim wouldn't work with a modern rear wheel anyway....

Chris King hubs are the worst particularly for road bikes in terms of dish. Phils and White Industries seem to be the best in terms of dish although the freehub and bearing design on the latter sucks.

it doesn't seem like anyone is making an offset tubular rim which is a shame. but then again, the only people using tubulars are probably on high-end aero pre-builts because they are racing or their keeping an old ****box together with vittoria rallys....or they're like the jerk and have a stash of mavic paris-roubaix rims and don't need any new junk anyway.

love,
the jerk

flydhest
12-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Jerk-baby (or anyone else)

Does one notice as large a difference in clincher v. tubulars with 'cross tires as with road tires? I would imagine that the larger profile, greater volume, slightly lower pressure aspects would attenuate the difference.

But then again, I've never used them so what do I know?

Thoughts . . .

jerk
12-15-2003, 11:23 AM
tubulars are the only way to go on a cross bike. the lower pressures wouldn't really work on a clincher (too many pinch flats) and the ride quality is much better at high pressures on tubulars. beyond this a tubular rim is marginally stronger as well.
the jerk likes deep section wheels for muddy cross.