PDA

View Full Version : Why SRAM sucks

kgreene10
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I have been training and racing on Red for the past year and a half. I like the group and appreciate it's light weight, but a recent experience has led me to post this note.

I crashed in a road race a couple of weeks ago. Among the casualties were my Red shifters. More specifically, the thin lip of plastic that is part of the shifter body and holds in the pin that goes into the brake lever. This flimsy lip of plastic broke off. When I inspected the break, I was surprised at how flimsy it is. But I chalked it up to the weight-saving design.

No problem, I'll just get replacement parts from SRAM. After all, they specifically advertised their rebuild-ability.

But the shop can't get replacement parts and SRAM customer service says that they do not offer any replacement parts. Why not, I asked SRAM over the phone?

Answer #1 -- because there are too many little parts for them to catalog. Really? In the age of computers they can't assign a stock number to the parts in their components? Here's an interesting little fact. When NAFTA went into effect, the treaty included rules of origin stipulating that tariffs would still be imposed on goods from member countries unless about 60% of the parts originated in those countries. The idea was to prevent Mexico from becoming a tariff-free transit point into the U.S. Well, that meant cataloging EVERY part from all traded goods. Yup, every single tiny part of cars and televisions and electronics. I think SRAM can manage to catalog the parts in their components.

Answer #2 -- rebuilding a shifter is so complicated that even the most skilled shop mechanic wouldn't be able to do it. My mechanic begs to differ, as do several online posts, as does a response in the Classifieds section to my request for used shifter bodies.

Answer #3 -- SRAM had no more answers except to tell me that I could buy brand new Red shifters at a cost of $555 and that if I posted a note like this on a forum such as this one, I was just a plain old mean person.

I'm calling SRAM out as anti-consumer and anti-environmental.

They want me to throw away the entire shifter set because of two tiny pieces of plastic. I have no problem with flimsy materials for light-weight components, but at least make them replaceable.

I invite any SRAM reps out there to come up with better answers and I invite enterprising shop owners or bike geeks to offer SRAM shifter rebuilds by mail.

/rant out.

benb
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Ugh.. so I didn't crash on mine but I've got my LBS going to bat with SRAM on my Rival shifters right now...

SRAM reps have at least been telling the shop mechanics that they are now doing some of this stuff, and/or may be offering people deals on refurb shifters if they send broken ones in...

The story apparently changed this year.. sounds like the results are the same.

How do you like your top end racing parts having a warranty that is voided by racing? Another reason to avoid SRAM. At the Red/Dura-Ace/Record Price levels the warranty alone is a strong reason to choose Shimano or Campy.

Joachim
03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
No to hijack this thread, but does anyone have experience with Campy warranty/customer service? I would like to know if anyone has made use of their 4 year warranty.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Ugh.. so I didn't crash on mine but I've got my LBS going to bat with SRAM on my Rival shifters right now...

SRAM reps have at least been telling the shop mechanics that they are now doing some of this stuff, and/or may be offering people deals on refurb shifters if they send broken ones in...

The story apparently changed this year.. sounds like the results are the same.

How do you like your top end racing parts having a warranty that is voided by racing? Another reason to avoid SRAM. At the Red/Dura-Ace/Record Price levels the warranty alone is a strong reason to choose Shimano or Campy.

Another reason why sram is a distant 3rd in our choice of component groups.

It'll bite them eventually. They just can't sell this stuff OEM at less than cost or have a 'throw the old one away' warranty.

Deep pockets getting more vacant.

John H.
03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
You are way off base slamming SRAM for this. If you broke a carbon wheel or a frame you would be out way more money.
Bottom line- stuff breaks when you crash it. Wheels, forks, bars, carbon rail saddles. None of it designed to survive multiple impacts.
If you crashed a set of Record shifters you would say the same thing about Campy.
Look for used ones on e-bay. Post WTB for single shifter on various forums. Heck, you can even get new on e-bay for a lot less than $533.

akelman
03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
If you crashed a set of Record shifters you would say the same thing about Campy.

The Campy versus Shimano versus SRAM wars are boring, I think, but what you say here just isn't true. Campy manufactures and distributes replacement parts that are readily available, as most Campy users know. Consumers can get these parts through authorized dealers (and rather easily on the gray market as well). As a result, if I break a small part on a set of Record shifters, I can either a) find the part and then fix the shifter myself; or b) call Peter at Vecchio's and have him do the work for me. It's really quite simple. That isn't the case for either Shimano or SRAM, which, in fairness, must have their own virtues.

kgreene10
03-10-2011, 04:21 PM
You are way off base slamming SRAM for this. If you broke a carbon wheel or a frame you would be out way more money.
Bottom line- stuff breaks when you crash it. Wheels, forks, bars, carbon rail saddles. None of it designed to survive multiple impacts.
Look for used ones on e-bay. Post WTB for single shifter on various forums. Heck, you can even get new on e-bay for a lot less than $533.

I really don't think I'm off base. What broke was a tiny piece of plastic off the shifter body and the shifter body itself is just a slightly larger piece of plastic. In other words, it could be repaired with a cheap piece of plastic if SRAM made it available. If I had broken carbon wheels, there would be no such easy and cheap repair available and I wouldn't complain about it. This is NOT a general complaint about stuff breaking, as I made clear in my original post. This is a complaint about not offering replacement parts.

Aaron O
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
The Campy versus Shimano versus SRAM wars are boring, I think, but what you say here just isn't true. Campy manufactures and distributes replacement parts that are readily available, as most Campy users know. Consumers can get these parts through authorized dealers (and rather easily on the gray market as well). As a result, if I break a small part on a set of Record shifters, I can either a) find the part and then fix the shifter myself; or b) call Peter at Vecchio's and have him do the work for me. It's really quite simple. That isn't the case for either Shimano or SRAM, which, in fairness, must have their own virtues.

Akelman, I'm getting into the habit of agreeing with you. +1.

Campy actually deigns to offer small parts...it's one of the best things about them (besides that it works better).

akelman
03-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm getting into the habit of agreeing with you.

I think you'll find that this is a very dangerous habit, as I'm almost never right.

John H.
03-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I hit the smallest of cracks in the road during a race.
Thought nothing of it while still racing.
Inspected my Zipp wheel post race and found that it was fractured.
Does Zipp suck because of this?
My point is not to play manufacturers against each other. My point is that breaking things comes with the territory and you should be happy that relatively speaking the broken part was not very expensive.
In fact the was most warranties are written is that racing voids the warranty. Some bike companies offer crash replacement- It is usually not much better than buying a new frame.
I hope you survived the crash and are OK. A trip to the ER can cost way more than the parts- parts replace easier on the bike!

Aaron O
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I think you'll find that this is a very dangerous habit, as I'm almost never right.

HEH

The first mark of a wise man is one who knows he's a moron.

flydhest
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't think the OP's point was that there is something wrong because a part broke in a crash. It was all about not being able to replace a part that is replaceable in other companies' designs, seems fairly easy to make replaceable, and yet the business choice seems to be not to offer the replacement.

akelman
03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
My point is not to play manufacturers against each other. My point is that breaking things comes with the territory and you should be happy that relatively speaking the broken part was not very expensive.

I think we can all agree that this is true. But I don't think you've understood the OP's point, which, unless I've misread him, was about the availability of replacement parts from SRAM.

benb
03-10-2011, 04:38 PM
$500 shifters are expensive, although I suppose it depends on your personal finances.

The issue here is SRAM marketed that their stuff was *not* throw away disposable stuff, and the true story turns out to be the worst of the 3 manufacturers.. short warranty, warranty voided by racing, IHMO reduced durability compared to the other manufactures, and then they tell you that you just have to buy a replacement at full cost even though the stuff was supposedly rebuildable. For me personally SRAM's claim of repairable parts was the far and away #1 reason I bought a groupset from them. I suppose I should have waited 3-4 years to see if they owned up to their word.

This would be more like cracking a front Zipp rim and they tell you that you have to buy an entire new wheelset rather then buying a new rim and having a wheelbuilder swap it out and possibly replace damaged spokes. That'd be a bit insulting if they said buy a new wheelset when there was nothing wrong with the rear wheel.

Heck it'd be a great start if anyone even offered to sell you a right/left shifter without buying a pair.

flydhest
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
HEH

The first mark of a wise man is one who knows he's a moron.

True, unfortunately most morons are convinced that they are wise men :D

John H.
03-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Yes, but you have to pay to play.
Many things on a high-tech carbon bike are not repairable/replaceable.
If repairability is your top concern you should ride a steel bike with steel fork, downtube shifters, and traditional aluminum rim/steel spoke wheels.
We use the cool carbon stuff because it is light and performs well- it just does not crash well.

akelman
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes, but you have to pay to play.
Many things on a high-tech carbon bike are not repairable/replaceable.
If repairability is your top concern you should ride a steel bike with steel fork, downtube shifters, and traditional aluminum rim/steel spoke wheels.
We use the cool carbon stuff because it is light and performs well- it just does not crash well.

Or you can use Campy, which sells readily accessible replacement parts for its carbon components. Honestly, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but there are options other than pulling the old Deluxe Varsity out of mothballs.

akelman
03-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Please note: my Schwinn Varsity* was deluxe. Even as a kid, I liked the good stuff.

* This is a lie. I never owned a Schwinn Varsity, deluxe or otherwise. My first 10 speed was a Miyata 310, which was pretty cool back in the day. I don't think that it had Campy parts, though. I seem to recall Suntour stuff hanging on there, but I could be wrong.

fourflys
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
The issue here is SRAM marketed that their stuff was *not* throw away disposable stuff, and the true story turns out to be the worst of the 3 manufacturers.. short warranty, warranty voided by racing, IHMO reduced durability compared to the other manufactures, and then they tell you that you just have to buy a replacement at full cost even though the stuff was supposedly rebuildable. For me personally SRAM's claim of repairable parts was the far and away #1 reason I bought a groupset from them. I suppose I should have waited 3-4 years to see if they owned up to their word.

this is the crux of the issue right here... SRAM marketed their stuff as rebuildable... OP believed them and spent a lot of money on their parts with that belief... Parts broke, OP tried to get replacement parts and was told to pony up FULL replacement cost for a new set...

OP actually said above he has no problem with the durability of the shifters, he expects lightweight comes with a durability price... he expectation was SRAM was truthful about their rebuildabilty... and you can't judge this against carbon wheels or frames because almost all of them at least have a replacement program at a reduced cost...

I think the OP has earned his rant in this one...

Derailer
03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Another piggish repair policy. SRAM and Speedplay won't be blingin' my rides any time soon. :no:

Edit: Where does SRAM advertise that its products can be rebuilt? I googled a bit and did not find anything.

benb
03-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Even if SRAM sold shifters unpaired that would be a great start.

The "hunt down a replacement on Ebay" answer does work.. it worked great for me, the Ultegra replacements have been totally reliable for 3 seasons now, and they look brand new, unlike the SRAM stuff that was used for a year and a half and looks like has been ridden since 1980.

dekindy
03-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Another piggish repair policy. SRAM and Speedplay won't be blingin' my rides any time soon. :no:

Edit: Where does SRAM advertise that its products can be rebuilt? I googled a bit and did not find anything.

My LBS embraced SRAM immediately. They portrayed them as having combined the best attributes of Shimano and Campy. One of the major points emphasized was that SRAM could be rebuilt like Campy. The OP's expectation and rant are right on based upon my understanding of the brand. In fact, I have such confidence in my LBS that I was shocked by the OP's observation and intend to ask my LBS about it.

AngryScientist
03-10-2011, 05:10 PM
sram sucks - old news, c'mon over to the good side brother, the water is fine!

johnnymossville
03-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Sounds like there's a potential market for reverse engineered SRAM parts, or maybe even be able to buy them direct from someone who works in the factory over in Taiwan/China, and set up shop. Might be a nice little second income stream.

Plenty of car parts are available this way.

gregblow
03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
sram has bought their way into the market! what do you expect? i am on sram now and am looking forward to going back to shimano when my frame arrives.

anyone what to buy a 5 month old s works with sram red?

Ahneida Ride
03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't think the OP's point was that there is something wrong because a part broke in a crash. It was all about not being able to replace a part that is replaceable in other companies' designs, seems fairly easy to make replaceable, and yet the business choice seems to be not to offer the replacement.

This is correct.

Does Scram advertise rebuild-ability? I understand they do.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
No to hijack this thread, but does anyone have experience with Campy warranty/customer service? I would like to know if anyone has made use of their 4 year warranty.

As a proshop I use Campagnolo warranty/customer service fairly often and with few exceptions(like getting the 'thing' from Italia, the mother company), it is first rate. But I do a lot of Campagnolo, sales and repair and I have a tattoo....bet that helps.

dekindy
03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Sounds like there's a potential market for reverse engineered SRAM parts, or maybe even be able to buy them direct from someone who works in the factory over in Taiwan/China, and set up shop. Might be a nice little second income stream.

Plenty of car parts are available this way.

That is exactly what will happen and probably whole sets also. One of the negatives of overseas production.

Derailer
03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Can someone point out one of these ads? It would be fun to make SRAM live up to its promise.

firerescuefin
03-10-2011, 05:41 PM
John H....either your reading comprehension is low or you're a SRAM stockholder. The OP is very clear with regards to his original expectation and the failings of the company. He wants to repair it....and the Campy folks (of which I am one) have been able to do that forever.

bkboom123
03-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I too am confused where Sram says that the parts are rebuildable....I am still "new" to cycling, this is my 3rd season. so were these ramblings of being rebuildable from years ago when they first started making road parts?

Personally, I don't have the cash flow to buy a Super Record group for an msrp of $2612....So I went with Sram Red three seasons ago without an issue yet, knock on wood. I was actually able to build a brand new Sram Red group for about $900-$1000, finding some good deals obviously. I suppose with the $1600 I saved from shopping around for new Sram Red stuff I could afford to replace three-four sets of shifters, should they get busted.

I don't race though so I am hoping I never crash on them.

rwsaunders
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Is your part shown in this tech manual?

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2011%20SRAM%20EXTDT%20Wheel%20Hub%20SPC_Rev%20B.pd f

CNY rider
03-10-2011, 06:48 PM
True, unfortunately most morons are convinced that they are wise men :D
I love to hear this from a guy at the Fed.
Please give Mr. Greenspan the middle finger salute next time he stops by.

Ahneida Ride
03-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I love to hear this from a guy at the Fed.
Please give Mr. Greenspan the middle finger salute next time he stops by.

Big Brother is working for your (never theirs) protection. Come one ...

R2D2
03-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I hit the smallest of cracks in the road during a race.
Thought nothing of it while still racing.
Inspected my Zipp wheel post race and found that it was fractured.
Does Zipp suck because of this?
In fact the was most warranties are written is that racing voids the warranty. Some bike companies offer crash replacement- It is usually not much better than buying a new frame.
I hope you survived the crash and are OK. A trip to the ER can cost way more than the parts- parts replace easier on the bike!

Zipps are know to be fragile.
My 303's truly did suck.

R2D2
03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
As a proshop I use Campagnolo warranty/customer service fairly often and with few exceptions(like getting the 'thing' from Italia, the mother company), it is first rate. But I do a lot of Campagnolo, sales and repair and I have a tattoo....bet that helps.

Very nice tat!

FlashUNC
03-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I remember when SRAM launched their road groups they made it clear their stuff would be rebuildable, but then that vanished from their marketing within the first two years or so.

I'm using Campy for everything but my cross bike, so I worry what will happen should my Rival shifters crap out.

nm87710
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
+1

FlashUNC
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm a tad confused why so many folks seem to be missing the point of the thread...

weaponsgrade
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Sram has a spare parts catalog:
http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/SRAM_Sparepartscatalog_MY07.pdf

weaponsgrade
03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/09/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-rebuilding-sram-red-shifters_100793

Looks like even Lennard with all his connections has trouble getting parts.

bicycletricycle
03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
it is better to replace a small broken part in an assembly then to have to replace the whole assembly, however, most thing in modern life are not repairable. Appliances, electronics and large parts of automobiles are often replaced when all they need is one small part.

Campagnolo is rare in that they do offer repair parts for their components, extending the service life and in some cases making them more affordable over the long term.

It is not so much that SRAM sucks, most companies who make consumer goods suck. I dare you to call up Sony and ask them for a repair part and an exploded view of your plasma TV.

Campagnolo does not force people to throw out perfectly good parts with small problems that could be easily repaired and I think that everyone else should do the same.

It is really stupid to have to throw out a whole set of shifters because you can't get your hands on a few fifty cent injection molded plastic parts. Actually, it is absurd.

FixedNotBroken
03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Even if SRAM sold shifters unpaired that would be a great start.

The "hunt down a replacement on Ebay" answer does work.. it worked great for me, the Ultegra replacements have been totally reliable for 3 seasons now, and they look brand new, unlike the SRAM stuff that was used for a year and a half and looks like has been ridden since 1980.

+1 haha.

akelman
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
My 303's truly did suck.

Now you tell me.

rice rocket
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm a tad confused why so many folks seem to be missing the point of the thread...
Blind loyalty. ;)

akelman
03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
My 303's truly did suck.

Seriously, at least tell me you had the old -- aka sucky-- kind.

kgreene10
03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Is your part shown in this tech manual?

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2011%20SRAM%20EXTDT%20Wheel%20Hub%20SPC_Rev%20B.pd f

Hey. It's the un-labeled shifter body that needs replacing. In the image of the body, you can see the little eyelet where the pin that holds the brake lever on attaches. The plastic surrounding that little eyelet is pretty flimsy and unprotected, so it broke off in the crash. Apparently, Red, Force, and Rival all use the same bodies.

I posted a WTB in the classified section, so let me know if you have an extra.

kgreene10
03-10-2011, 10:21 PM

I agree. My bet is that people skim, see words like "crash" and "race" and just assume they get the gist of the thread.

fogrider
03-10-2011, 11:11 PM

the issue here is that some small parts in the lever broke and it would stand to reason that there be replacement parts. its more like if you break a spoke, should it be tossed?

telewhacker!
03-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Wow

justinalamode
03-11-2011, 04:27 AM
To the OP, this is why I can't help but praise Shimano for their customer service.

I've dealt with SRAM as well in my experience working at an LBS, and it's like pulling teeth with them.

R2D2
03-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Seriously, at least tell me you had the old -- aka sucky-- kind.

Maybe a few yeas old (2008's ????). I wish I had given them old sucky dollars.
Eastons for me now. They've been great.

RedRider
03-11-2011, 07:48 AM
I work in a bike shop and have direct contact with these manufacturers. From a quality of product perspective the Big 3 all make great stuff. Campy is in a league of it's own on price of goods and maintenance. Shimano is very durable but it's difficult to access reps and company tech guys. Sram has taken big market share from Shimano, especially in the mid-price 105/Ultegra vs Rival/Force range by providing great dealer/customer support.
If you have a damaged part rather than rebuild it they wave a policy of offering a no questions asked discounted exchange. This should have been offered by your dealer. I think it's 25 or 30% off a new one. Their goal is to have you ride out with a new part that day.
Sram has also been showing up on more OEM bikes.

SteveV0983
03-11-2011, 07:52 AM
This would be more like cracking a front Zipp rim and they tell you that you have to buy an entire new wheelset

I actually think it sounds more like breaking a spoke and Zipp telling you to buy a whole new wheel. This is pathetic customer service. It would be one thing if the entire shifter got trashed, but replace a $550.00 set of shifters for what is probably a .30 cent part??? Personally, I never cared for their mechanism, but at least I thought they were a decent company. Oh well...

Volant
03-11-2011, 07:58 AM
It sounds as if SRAM is playing the 'cost to carry' game. The OP's argument about cataloging an item is correct. Cost is almost nil to catalog an item. The cost to carry it is something else (the cost to have it in stock when someone needs it). There was probably good intention to carry replacement parts in the beginning. They may have even stocked a few. But, depending on where you're at, the individual cost, and the number of turns taking place, costs can vary widely. If items don't turn, auditors make you write off the inventory. So, if SRAM wasn't seeing a demand for replacement levers, they had to take the hit to their books. An item can have a carrying cost that far exceeds the value of the part itself (a company I was at had a $10k carrying cost for a small item - like a lever. That $10k had to be amortized over all the 'levers' sold over the year. If we only sold one 'lever', it's cost was $10k plus its actual cost. If we sold 10,000, it's cost was $1 plus the actual cost of the lever.) I doubt SRAM sells/sold many Red replacement levers and made a decision to not carry any spare parts; ditch the replacement feature in its marketing; and suggest a complete replacement as the 'fix'. This probably saved them money on paper. Since they import all their items, this seems like the most logical explanation and one I've encountered in my own business.
Of course, this is only speculation as to why you can't get a replacement lever from SRAM and why they suggested what they did. If true, it doesn't make it right, nor satisfy your dilemma, but only offers up a reason why it might be the way it is.

Nooch
03-11-2011, 08:09 AM
as far as I know from sram's customer service, and this is second hand, through one of the techs at the shop i work at, it's pretty dang good.

His son had a jamming on a set of Force shifters. They had him send the shifters back, and replaced them with Red. I'd say that's a pretty good deal...

oldpotatoe
03-11-2011, 08:20 AM
I work in a bike shop and have direct contact with these manufacturers. From a quality of product perspective the Big 3 all make great stuff. Campy is in a league of it's own on price of goods and maintenance. Shimano is very durable but it's difficult to access reps and company tech guys. Sram has taken big market share from Shimano, especially in the mid-price 105/Ultegra vs Rival/Force range by providing great dealer/customer support.
If you have a damaged part rather than rebuild it they wave a policy of offering a no questions asked discounted exchange. This should have been offered by your dealer. I think it's 25 or 30% off a new one. Their goal is to have you ride out with a new part that day.
Sram has also been showing up on more OEM bikes.

Surprised at some of your comments, from this bike shop owner.

"Price of goods' of Campagnolo is very similar to the other guys. Look at cogsets, chains, shifters.

I have never had a problem accessing reps, tech docs or tech guys from shimano. Call, they answer. If they don't know the answer, they zing me to somebody who does.

My experience with sram is with the dozen or so levers I have warrantied, 2 cranks, a few chainrings, 2 red rear ders, an avid disc caliper...they just sent a new one, no questions asked. None of the people I talked to at sram ever mentioned any kind of discounted exchange. They sent the new 'thing' and a stamped bag for the old widget altho with the cranks, they said, just throw them away(yikes).

When they were out of Red shifters, I asked if they could just send the shift lever assembly. They said they didn't have any. So, I asked, what do you do with all these busted levers you get? 'We throw them away', the gent said. Speaks volumes.

Yep, sram has deep pockets, will sponsor just about anybody who asks, has jumped big into the OEM market and along with it, we see more and more sram stuff that needs attention...and warranty.

merlincustom1
03-11-2011, 08:34 AM
+1 Campy rebuild. I'm running 1999 9 speed ergolevers. Last week the finger lever failed where the metal hoop is attached by a little rivet. Likely a stress riser near the hole which is not surprising after 12 years of use. So for 47 bucks I order a new one and might as well pick up some g springs and the carrier body while I'm at it, even though they looked fine. The whole thing set me back only 70 bucks and I can do the repair myself. So, Campy still supports stuff that's 12 years old, the friggin' thing lasted 12 years through all kinds of use, and the cost of the parts you need is nil. I realize they're foreigners and all, but what's not to love?

Nooch
03-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Is it safe to say, OldPotatoe, that if the OP had his LBS contact SRAM that maybe they'd be more inclined to replace the shifter just under the 'whoops, it broke, let's give him a new one' policy?

I know this may not be what the world wants, we as bike riders are supposedly more environmentally conscious (when really, I commute to work to save the FRN's on gas..), but we're also in a recession and might not have the $550 to spend on a new shifter -- accept that SRAM'll just throw it away and enjoy your new gear.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Is it safe to say, OldPotatoe, that if the OP had his LBS contact SRAM that maybe they'd be more inclined to replace the shifter just under the 'whoops, it broke, let's give him a new one' policy?

I know this may not be what the world wants, we as bike riders are supposedly more environmentally conscious (when really, I commute to work to save the FRN's on gas..), but we're also in a recession and might not have the $550 to spend on a new shifter -- accept that SRAM'll just throw it away and enjoy your new gear.

I think so, at least that has been my experience. I had a customer who took a sram bar end shifter apart, gooned it up somehow. He called sram, they said to use a shop. He used me and sram sent a new set of shifters, even tho the customer essentially 'broke' them.

Gummee
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
sram has bought their way into the market! what do you expect? i am on sram now and am looking forward to going back to shimano when my frame arrives.

anyone what to buy a 5 month old s works with sram red?
No but I'll trade ya a mix of new and older D/A for the parts!

M

kgreene10
03-12-2011, 09:53 AM
It sounds as if SRAM is playing the 'cost to carry' game. The OP's argument about cataloging an item is correct. Cost is almost nil to catalog an item. The cost to carry it is something else (the cost to have it in stock when someone needs it). There was probably good intention to carry replacement parts in the beginning. They may have even stocked a few. But, depending on where you're at, the individual cost, and the number of turns taking place, costs can vary widely. If items don't turn, auditors make you write off the inventory. So, if SRAM wasn't seeing a demand for replacement levers, they had to take the hit to their books. An item can have a carrying cost that far exceeds the value of the part itself (a company I was at had a $10k carrying cost for a small item - like a lever. That $10k had to be amortized over all the 'levers' sold over the year. If we only sold one 'lever', it's cost was $10k plus its actual cost. If we sold 10,000, it's cost was $1 plus the actual cost of the lever.) I doubt SRAM sells/sold many Red replacement levers and made a decision to not carry any spare parts; ditch the replacement feature in its marketing; and suggest a complete replacement as the 'fix'. This probably saved them money on paper. Since they import all their items, this seems like the most logical explanation and one I've encountered in my own business.
Of course, this is only speculation as to why you can't get a replacement lever from SRAM and why they suggested what they did. If true, it doesn't make it right, nor satisfy your dilemma, but only offers up a reason why it might be the way it is.

Great post. Very sensible from a bookkeeping POV.

bike22
03-12-2011, 10:14 AM
One of the negatives of overseas production.
well, it's worth noting that the two other component manufacturers (campag and shimano) are also made overseas.