PDA

View Full Version : Fulcrum Racing 1 v Campy Neutron (not Ultra)

akelman
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Has anyone ridden both the R1s and the Neutrons? Any insights into the differences between the two? Thanks.

rounder
03-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't know about RIs but I have ridden on neutrons for the last 5 years (about 10,000 miles) without issue. I don't race, just ride around. The spokes are still tight and have never been touched. I would vote for them.

cmg
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
differences from googling, yea i don't want to work at work.

R1s, Aluminum spokes, F 16spks, R 21 spks 2-1 pattern, front rim 24mm, r 28mm deep, 1505g, Proprietary spokes can come from campy dealer only. I'm not a fan of bladed spokes and these are particularly wide. in my mind they create more wind resistance but they do look cool which i think is the point. the rims are taller to because of the fewer spokes, so if your over 185lbs these might not be the ones. my opinion.

Neutrons, stainless steel spokes, f 22spokes, r 24 spokes asymetrical spoke pattern (off center for drive side spokes, evens tension), 20mm rims front and rear, 1550g, spokes are non-proprietary, can from any shop. Suspect this wheelset is lighter at the rim than the R1, weight increase difference is from the hub which doesn't effect rotating weight much. once again this is my opinion.

keep in mind i have'nt ridden either.

now back to work..............

TomP
03-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I have ridden Fulcrum R 1's, regular Neutron and Neutron Ultra's. Just my .02, but I like the Fulcrum's the best. Comfortable, stiff, climb great, bullet proof and legendary Campy smoothness.

merckx
03-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I have Fulcrum Zeros and standard Neutrons. Both are excellent wheels. The Fulcrums are 160 grams lighter and feel more direct when standing to accelerate/climb. I use the Neutrons for bad weather riding and the Fulcrums for everything else.