PDA

View Full Version : Zipp 404 carbon clincher Firecrest

LegendRider
03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Has anyone ridden the new Zipp 404 carbon clincher with the Firecrest profile? They've gotten rave reviews - though a cynic would note that most new bikes and components do! Aside from cost, they appear to have a lot going for them - new wide rim profile, increased strength, improved Zipp hubs, and great aerodymanics.

Charles M
03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
They also have a dang good brake track that's not having the heat and deforming issues...

The only potential whack is the clinchers are not feathery light. Past that, they're a heck of a nice wheel set. They feel like 35mm depth wheels in a cross wind.

The price is something a lot of folks can't ignore.

norcalbiker
03-09-2011, 11:16 AM
"new wide rim profile"

Why is it then that the recommendation tire width is 21?

Nice wheels though.

rice rocket
03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Why is it then that the recommendation tire width is 21?

Nice wheels though.

Point is to have a smooth shape from front to rear. The 21mm will have the smoothest transition from rim to tire.

Tim Porter
03-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I have a grand total of 35 miles on my Zipp 404 carbon clinchers, i.e., today was my first ride on them other than a quick spin around the neighborhood. I'm using the 23mm Vittoria CX, though, not the optimal 21mm. Not sure it slowed me down too much. The bulge in the new rim design is definitely still wider than the 23. Today I rode a loop I do from SUNY Purchase in Westchester Co, NY, into Bedford NY and Greenwich, CT. It has around 2000 feet of climbing, including some pretty steep hills (anyone know John St and its several pitches of 15-18 percent?).

I'm using them on my 2007 Ottrott and I loved the first ride. It was about 38 degrees and very blustery, so I got to see how the wheels behaved in some pretty good crosswinds. I found them to be very controllable, but they got whacked a couple of times by good cross breezes. It was dead easy to recover from diversions from my line that were really just a few inches.

They spin up over moderate rollers on the route extremely well--I know these roads and on some of the steeper bumps I've been know to click to a lower gear, but these things help you just power on through. The hubs seem smooth, but it's early days, of course. I'm a clydesdale sized guy, so I'm probably not the best one to rave about the climbing capabilities of these wheels, but they do accelerate nicely mid-climb. They descend like a mofo--coasting down some of those hills in Greenwich I easily hit 40+. Braking, which is the area that most concerned me, was smooth and noise free. I purposely rode the brakes a bit on one descent to see if I could feel anything weird, but it's just not the type of sustained braking through switchbacks that could really heat up the brakes. It was also only in the high 30s, temp-wise. I'm trying to get some experience with these wheels because they're a really great candidate to take to Mallorca next month, where they will definitely see some harsher descents. :hello:

I bought these wheels as everyday performance wheels that will be used mostly on my Ottrott. I run the gamut, wheel-wise, from old school tubulars on Nemesis rims to Lightweights. On first impression, these are right up there in the fun to ride category. One caveat: I'm an old racer who no longer races--I move it along, but my stints at race pace don't last as long any more. :) Will report back with more intel later. HTH, Tim

usul
03-20-2011, 11:30 AM
What brake pads are you using withthe firecrest? Ever use swiss stop king yellow? Do you switch back and forth betwen alum rim and carbon rims with these pads?

crownjewelwl
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
i've had mine almost a year now. i like the ride. they dont seem to spin up particularly fast, but hold speed well. never had any issue with crosswinds.

i use the zipp cork pads. they squeaked a bit at first but it went away. breaking is fine and im a feathery 190lbs.

riding vittoria evo corsas on them in 23.

Tim Porter
03-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Also using zipp cork pads. Seem to be working fine. Smoother, better braking than I expected. I don't switch back and forth between aluminum and the firecrests on the zipp pads. I'd go back to plain old Campy pads if I put the alloy wheels on the bike. Tim

Charles M
03-20-2011, 08:52 PM
What brake pads are you using withthe firecrest? Ever use swiss stop king yellow? Do you switch back and forth betwen alum rim and carbon rims with these pads?

Everyone should switch pads going from alu to carb. That pads can be used on both doesnt mean you shouldnt change em. metal bits stick in all pads. running metal into your carbon rims is bad...

And FWIW, Swisstop are not the top of the brake pad heap for carbon any longer. Reynolds Barradine, the new Zipp fiber-rubber mix pads (Bontragers too) all are better at dealing with heat and resisting melt than Swisstop and are on par or better for smoothnes.