PDA

View Full Version : Teesdale / TET

majorpat
03-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Anybody have any experience with a bike from Tom Teesdale? From what I gather he's been at this a while and makes a great bike with nothing fancy in the paint department. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Pat

rcnute
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I had an XO-1 clone made by Teesdale but never got around to building it. Wish I had. It looked well made and what I've heard matches your description.

doofus 2.0
03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I had the chance to hang at his workshop when I was an obnoxious cat 2 in college, in Iowa City.

his frames will ride really well

you probably want someone else to paint it, unless it's a race bike and you just expect dings and repaints

bike22
03-09-2011, 09:30 PM
i don't think there is a living american frame builder who has a better/more complete framebuilding resume than tet.

very well priced frames.

soulspinner
03-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Ive got a foco steel he built 4 me 10 years ago. Doofus is right-his paint/finish work is not spectacular. Had it painted over eventually. Level top tube fastback seatstays welded a little lower. Very nice ride. The frame weighed 3.37 with bottle bolts and seat collar (level tt 55 cm).

telewhacker!
03-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I have two. Great bikes. Crappy paint.
Perfect for racing or touring where they are going to get beat anyway. NOT show bikes.

Gummee
03-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I've had one. Rode great.

Go for it!

M

majorpat
03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the replies. Sent Tom an email, waiting for some more info from him. I do appreciate the responses, certainly helps a guy with his decision making to have feedback from those with firsthand experience. Gee, sometimes the inter-nets really are useful!

Pat

rgray
03-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I will pile on as well.
I have a mountain bike of his that goes back to the early nineties. It has been rebuilt, repainted and converted to a bastardized dirt road bike which I have ridden at Deerfield two or three times. It is still a great ride. Enjoy.

soulspinner
03-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Got on the Teesdale last nite, a little less than an hour. Its hangin upside down with the post out. Takes a lickin and marches on. If you live in the fingerlakes and want to check out my frame before you spend the $ Id be happy to show it to you, just let me know and I will clean it up........ :rolleyes:

Mark McM
03-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I got a custom T.E.T. with True Temper S3 tubes 2 years ago. He was happy to listen to my input to get the exact geometry I wanted (I prefer a slacker seat tube and steeper head tube than usually found on frames my size). The frame was delivered much faster than expected - 3 weeks from deposit until the frame arrived on my doorstep. As others mentioned, the paint work wasn't the fanciest, but that's not a big deal to me. The bike rides and handles great.

cmg
03-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I got a custom T.E.T. with True Temper S3 tubes 2 years ago. He was happy to listen to my input to get the exact geometry I wanted (I prefer a slacker seat tube and steeper head tube than usually found on frames my size). The frame was delivered much faster than expected - 3 weeks from deposit until the frame arrived on my doorstep. As others mentioned, the paint work wasn't the fanciest, but that's not a big deal to me. The bike rides and handles great.

how much input did he have on the geometry? or did you give the tube lenghts/angles you wanted to use?

Mark McM
03-11-2011, 02:01 PM
how much input did he have on the geometry? or did you give the tube lenghts/angles you wanted to use?

It was a couple of years ago, but as I recall, after I gave a few details of my size dimensions and intended use of the new frame, we started from the dimensions of my current favorite road frame, and I gave the dimension changes I wanted (adjustments of the seat tube angle, the head angle, and also a slight change in chainstay length), and I also told him what fork I planned to use (I may have also supplied some other details, such as handlebar/stem, saddle and crank length information as well, but I don't recall). He responded with a few comments and suggestions on some of the other dimensions and specifications (such as head tube length and braze-on fitting locations specific to the frame dimensions) and provided a preliminary CAD drawing. I then replied with few minor tweeks on the drawing, he sent a revised CAD drawing. I confirmed the drawing (as well as the paint color selection) and sent a deposit so he could begin building the frame. Overall, he seemed to be very open to my specific frame dimension requests, and gave practical feedback regarding their implications.