PDA

View Full Version : For the wheelsmiths...

William
05-27-2005, 03:37 PM
I was riding the erg (less impact on the knee) earlier today and I was staring/focusing at at set of wheels hanging on the wall. I noticed that the wear on the anodizing was uneven. It was down to the bare aluminum in intervals the precisly matched where the nipple/spoke entered the rim. The areas in between hadn't got down through the anodizing yet.
Obviously the rim is bulging out at each nipple hole. Similar effect on Campy and Mavic rims. Obviously the rims I have with machined braking surfaces don't show this...though I would guess that it was similar.

What would you call this? Why do you think it happens? By design or defect? Nature of the beast?

Just curious.

William

ada@prorider.or
05-27-2005, 04:50 PM
I was riding the erg (less impact on the knee) earlier today and I was staring/focusing at at set of wheels hanging on the wall. I noticed that the wear on the anodizing was uneven. It was down to the bare aluminum in intervals the precisly matched where the nipple/spoke entered the rim. The areas in between hadn't got down through the anodizing yet.
Obviously the rim is bulging out at each nipple hole. Similar effect on Campy and Mavic rims. Obviously the rims I have with machined braking surfaces don't show this...though I would guess that it was similar.

What would you call this? Why do you think it happens? By design or defect? Nature of the beast?

Just curious.

William
stress during riding
and not heat treated
after annodizing

saab2000
05-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Nature of the beast. This was worse in the olden days than it is today.