PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 speed chains - ??

wgp
03-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Quick question: Is the 2011 Centaur chain the same chain as the 10 speed Record line from a few years back?

On PBK website (http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=10%20Speed%20Chains), they look identical, but are listed with diff weights - so I wondered if the Centaur chain is a "level" down from the old 10 speed Record chains?

Still running my 10 speed Campy groups on my bikes and want to stock up on chains whenever sales abound! Just don't think the shift to 11 speed is worth it (for me).

AngryScientist
03-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Just don't think the shift to 11 speed ...

pun intended?

someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but i dont think the current centaur chains are the same caliber as the old record chains, they are 2 levels down in the line-up, both now and then.

fwiw, i'm no weight weenie, and i've been having nothing but excellent luck with veloce 10-sp chains on my campy 10-sp bike, the durability to price ration is excellent with veloce for chains.

old fat man
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
the chains get lighter and more machined as you go up the line. i've been happy with veloce 10 and notice no difference, other than a few grams (which i don't really notice), from the one bike with a record 10 chain.

save your pennies for an extra beer.

Dave
03-09-2011, 07:18 AM
The only difference between a Record chain and the lowest level is hollow pins and holes in the outer plates of the Record chain, to reduce weight. Longevity should be identical.

With the new 11 speed, the top level Record chain has hollow pins and the Chorus chain doesn't. No outer plates holes, since the plates are thinner.

Black Dog
03-09-2011, 07:30 AM
The Veloce rated as the most durable campy chain in some recent testing of 10 speed chains.

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/news/66/66/Chain-Wear-Test-Results-Point-to-Wippermann.php

ultraman6970
03-09-2011, 08:03 AM
If the wipperman is the best one, why is so crappy then? nobody uses them because they suck.

Black Dog
03-09-2011, 09:07 AM
If the wipperman is the best one, why is so crappy then? nobody uses them because they suck.

Why would you say they suck? What is this based on?

oldpotatoe
03-09-2011, 11:18 AM
pun intended?

someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but i dont think the current centaur chains are the same caliber as the old record chains, they are 2 levels down in the line-up, both now and then.

fwiw, i'm no weight weenie, and i've been having nothing but excellent luck with veloce 10-sp chains on my campy 10-sp bike, the durability to price ration is excellent with veloce for chains.

Record chains had hollow pins and holes in the plates, Chorus had holes in the plates, Veloce solid plates and pins, otherwise identical in terms performance, longevity. Wee differences in weight.

As for Wipperman, they really shift poorly in comparison to Campagnolo, shimano and KMC and almost w/o fail, when a bike comes in with a Wipperman and it measures worn out, just about all the time, the cogset is history as well.

Black Dog
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Record chains had hollow pins and holes in the plates, Chorus had holes in the plates, Veloce solid plates and pins, otherwise identical in terms performance, longevity. Wee differences in weight.

As for Wipperman, they really shift poorly in comparison to Campagnolo, shimano and KMC and almost w/o fail, when a bike comes in with a Wipperman and it measures worn out, just about all the time, the cogset is history as well.

Thanks for the insight. I have no experience with Wipperman. I will stick with campy.