PDA

View Full Version : Who makes quality 30-39-50 10-speed cranksets?

RPS
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I’m looking at Shimano-compatible triple crankset options and would like to know which manufacturers offer 30-39-50 ring combinations. Shimano offers Ultegra in 30-39-52 which should shift quite well but I’m not crazy about the looks, or the "triplelizer-like" design of the middle/inner ring with its 92 MM bolt pattern. Everything else being equal I’d also prefer to try a 50T big ring.

Shimano offers the “new” 105 triple in 30-39-50 in both silver and black; and it appears the inner ring is bolted directly to the crank arm using a 74 MM bolt pattern. It’s pretty much what I’m looking for except I was hoping for a little more upscale than 105. I’m also not sure how the 105 crankset’s finish would match with an Ultegra group – I haven’t compared at all.

Any suggestions or experiences with triple choices? If anyone is using the new Shimano FC-5703 105 triple I’d also like to hear what you think. Same for FSA triple, etc… My question is not very specific on purpose because I’m looking for a wide range of opinions.

(For what it’s worth and to save time, I’m not crazy about compacts for my type of riding ;) ).

CNY rider
03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Have you looked at building off a TA Carmina?

AngryScientist
03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
velo orange has a nice 48-36-28, you could get some nice chainrings to solve the gearing if you were so inclined...

http://store.velo-orange.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/530x530/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/r/cr-0012.jpg

RPS
03-08-2011, 02:12 PM
velo orange has a nice 48-36-28, you could get some nice chainrings to solve the gearing if you were so inclined...

I'd first try that gearing before changing it -- might work OK. It looks very nice but a little more retro than I'd prefer. Hard for me to tell from pictures.

RPS
03-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Have you looked at building off a TA Carmina?
Thanks, I'll put them on list.

In the past I've normally purchased complete Ultegra or Dura-Ace groups and haven't tried to use other components. Mixing components isn't something I do often at all; hence I haven't looked at any other options in years.

Germany_chris
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
VO is putting out some really sexy stuff nowadays!!

http://store.velo-orange.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/530x530/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/r/cr-0012.jpg

torquer
03-08-2011, 02:50 PM
I ride a Sugino Cospea (set up as a compact double) that I like a lot.http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/nw_suginocrnk.jpg
This crank also goes by the Alpina name, and is usually seen as a double but has bosses for a 74 BCD inner ring. I've never used it as a triple, so I'm not sure if a longer spindle is required for that. As a compact, it comes with either 50/34 or 50/36 rings, so you'd need to find a 130 BCD 39 tooth middle ring, too.

eddief
03-08-2011, 04:46 PM
To me these look fine, work fine, but do come with a 52. My other bikes have Hollowtech 105 triples with a 50 large ring, but I got used to the 52 no prob.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-ULTEGRA-SL-FC-6604-CRANK-CRANKSET-172-5-TRIPLE-/400184031148?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2cd3b7ac

Ken C
03-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Shimano offers the “new” 105 triple in 30-39-50 in both silver and black; and it appears the inner ring is bolted directly to the crank arm using a 74 MM bolt pattern. It’s pretty much what I’m looking for except I was hoping for a little more upscale than 105. I’m also not sure how the 105 crankset’s finish would match with an Ultegra group – I haven’t compared at all.

(For what it’s worth and to save time, I’m not crazy about compacts for my type of riding ;) ).

I am considering the same thing, I miss having a 39 tooth ring and need the lower gearing with the Mountains here in CO. I currently have 6600 with the silver ultegra level compact Shimano released years ago. I bought 6603 shifters on closeout and have already swapped the RD to 6703. I am planning on using the 5703 crank in silver, I think it looks better in person that in some of the photos. Since it is Hollowtech, I really don't think it is much lower in quality than the compact I am currently using.

I think Smiley did a build with the 5700 double crank in silver and commented on the quality. I would not worry too much about it.

I was considering using a Da Vinci crank with silver TA rings and a Phil Wood BB, but that is too expensive for me. Plus it is hard to beat the shifting of shimano's matched rings so if 50-39-30 is what you want you should just go with the 105 crank.

Frankwurst
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks, I'll put them on list.

In the past I've normally purchased complete Ultegra or Dura-Ace groups and haven't tried to use other components. Mixing components isn't something I do often at all; hence I haven't looked at any other options in years.

You might want to consider it. I've used TA w/DuraAce, Ultegra, 105, Suntour and had good results with all of the above. Carmina and Zephry don't seem quite as finicky Cyclo Tourist is a differnt animal, but that's just my experience. Disclaimer: Others results may vary. :beer:

RPS
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
To me these look fine, work fine, but do come with a 52. My other bikes have Hollowtech 105 triples with a 50 large ring, but I got used to the 52 no prob.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-ULTEGRA-SL-FC-6604-CRANK-CRANKSET-172-5-TRIPLE-/400184031148?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2cd3b7ac
Other than weight and surface-finish aesthetics, can you tell a significant difference in operation between your 105 and Ultegra? And are they of the same design series (i.e. -- usually same features with 105 introduced a year or two later)?

I expect the newer generation of Ultegra – the FC-6703 – to be an improvement over the previous generations (I know that’s not a given but presume Shimano wouldn’t go backwards in shift performance). Likewise, the new-for-2011 FC-5703 is supposed to be engineered similar to the latest Ultegra. I have not ridden 105 enough in the past to compare but when I compared Dura Ace versus Ultegra I found minimal differences beyond weight and finish. If the same applies for 105 versus Ultegra then 105 might be a good option that keeps everything Shimano.

RPS
03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Plus it is hard to beat the shifting of shimano's matched rings so if 50-39-30 is what you want you should just go with the 105 crank.
I agree. There is little risk going with proven performance.

eddief
03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I am not a racer, but have ridden a zillion.5 miles over the last 10 years. Cranks is cranks in my opinion. Hollowtech 105 on 3 bikes, Hollowtech Ultegra on the other. I could not detect an iota of difference even if you bribed me. I even have changed out the 30 for a 26 and that works pretty damn well too. You might be overthinking or over worrying the problem. I resemble that remark. On my latest build where the focus was on trying to lighten things up, I just assumed Ultegra would be lighter than 105...so bought that without even checking actual weight.

Ken C
04-14-2011, 02:05 PM
He built up a sweet looking orange dirt road bike with 5703. You can get a much better idea of how the 5703 triple crank will look actually on a bike. I think it looks pretty nice.

Go to Mondy April 4, 2011 to see the orange Coconino bike (http://coconinocycles.blogspot.com/)

RPS
04-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks Ken. Looks good to me; I like it better than Ultegra, but would probably go with black. The cassette on the picture is a little too big for my taste but should give great climbing lows. I plan to stick with a road cassette.

The biggest problem I've found thus far is that 105 build kits are not as common as Ultegra. I need to get back to that as soon as I finish a few other projects. Thanks again.

oliver1850
04-15-2011, 01:15 AM

oldpotatoe
04-15-2011, 07:34 AM
I’m looking at Shimano-compatible triple crankset options and would like to know which manufacturers offer 30-39-50 ring combinations. Shimano offers Ultegra in 30-39-52 which should shift quite well but I’m not crazy about the looks, or the "triplelizer-like" design of the middle/inner ring with its 92 MM bolt pattern. Everything else being equal I’d also prefer to try a 50T big ring.

Any suggestions or experiences with triple choices? If anyone is using the new Shimano FC-5703 105 triple I’d also like to hear what you think. Same for FSA triple, etc… My question is not very specific on purpose because I’m looking for a wide range of opinions.

I've sold quite a few 5703 cranks and they are really nice. Chainrings and bearings far better than anything from FSA. Nice finish, beautiful forging, really nice.

RPS
04-15-2011, 07:45 AM
I've sold quite a few 5703 cranks and they are really nice. Chainrings and bearings far better than anything from FSA. Nice finish, beautiful forging, really nice.
oldpotatoe, I haven't seen one in person yet, so I'm wondering if the small chainring actually bolts directly to the spider or do they use a tripilizer arrangement like on the newest Ultegra? The specifications still have the smaller bolt pattern that could go down to a 24-tooth ring so I'm guessing it's like the "old" Ultegra. Is that the case?

oldpotatoe
04-15-2011, 07:46 AM
oldpotatoe, I haven't seen one in person yet, so I'm wondering if the small chainring actually bolts directly to the spider or do they use a tripilizer arrangement like on the newest Ultegra? The specifications still have the smaller bolt pattern that could go down to a 24-tooth ring so I'm guessing it's like the "old" Ultegra. Is that the case?

Like a more 'normal' triple, 130mm BCD for big and middle and a 74mm for the small ring..like triples should be.

Ken C
01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
I finally ordered it from my lbs. I am so glad I did, it looks and works great. The shifting so far is as good as the shimano compact I had, and I think I really like the gearing better than the compact. The silver finish looks great with the rest of my ultegra group.

oldpotatoe
01-10-2012, 07:46 AM

The 5703 triple crank is a very nice piece of gear. BUT if ya want a 50/39/30 with Ultegra, buy it and swap the big ring..BUT find a 6603, not the big, hollow big ring and bolted to the middle ring triple of 6703.

Stay away from anything FSA, sram, truvativ, IMHO.

Chance
01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
The 5703 triple crank is a very nice piece of gear. BUT if ya want a 50/39/30 with Ultegra, buy it and swap the big ring..BUT find a 6603, not the big, hollow big ring and bolted to the middle ring triple of 6703.

Stay away from anything FSA, sram, truvativ, IMHO.
Rick Perez is listed as a “Senior Member” instead of “registered user” but that may be code for being banned. Not sure how many types of members there are but it appears Pete banned Rick over technical matters.

Regarding your answer and suggestion to RPS, are outer chainring-to-crankarm patterns similar enough between 10-speed Ultegra and 105 to be interchangeable? What about older Dura Ace? Or are you suggesting swapping the 52T outer ring of an Ultegra triple with a 50T outer ring from an Ultegra double?

Pete Serotta
01-10-2012, 12:22 PM
My S&S Serotta ti has Ultegra Triple for last three years and has been all over USA. MY good friend has DURA ACE and another friend has ULTEGRA also,

105 looks ok to,

I also loved a TA I had on Legend Ti and Ride the ROCKIES two years ago - - but was run over by the PARLEE van and I rode the PARLEE Z5 the final two days. :crap: :crap: :crap:

Ahneida Ride
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I run a TA Zephyr .... Best crank ever .... infinitely customizable
with rings from 20 to 56.

But they don't make em any more .... ( Let's hear a big DUH !) :crap:
(Pete knows all too well as his TA Zephyr got run over. )

The replacement is the TA Carimia .... Purchase the correct spider and
you can obtain the exact rings you want.

The Carmina is nice, but not as sexy as the Zephyr.

The Carmina is available at Peter White in New Hampshire.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.asp

The only down side the is cost.
Plenty of not federal no reserve non notes.

If you got the frns .... get a Carmina !

Ahneida Ride
01-10-2012, 01:04 PM
If you go with the Carmina ...

You are also probably looking at a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket ..

more frns.

But I gotta tell ya .... the final result is sweet. .
you ride with what you want !

not some penny crushing Harvard MBA deciding what you should
ride.