PDA

View Full Version : any interest in a (team) serotta forum jersey ?

Fixed
03-08-2011, 02:46 AM
mrs fixed is a graphic designer and art professor and has designed team kits
for some local clubs around here . so if enough people want them and it is alright ..
with serotta she would be happy i know to help us out
cheers

Bruce K
03-08-2011, 04:08 AM
These have been done in the past.

Twice by me and once for the factory grand opening.

The factory grand opening jersey (was it done by MaryAnn?) featured the "Banana Guy". I forget who made it but at the time it was done kind of "pirate" and Ben was not overly thrilled with the final design with a slightly inebriated Banana Guy.

The red, white, and blue one was a charity fundraiser that raised over $1500 for MS research, The Davis Phinney Foundation, and the Pan-Mass Challenge. The black, red, gray version was the Serotta Forumite team jersey for the 2007 Pan-Mass Challenge. Both of these came from Hincapie who was producing the factory jersey at the time.

Both of these were done with the explicit permission of Ben and company.

If there were interest and if it was OK with Serotta then you should determine minimum quantites, pricing, etc. by contacting either Castelli (who I believe is making the current Owners Club jersey) or whoever is manufacturing the Serotta brand jersey (if there is one in the works).

BK

Fixed
03-08-2011, 05:40 AM
b.k. just one of those 3 a.m. ideas i am not taking deposits on them or anything .. maybe not such a good idea ..i don't want get in a controversy
about it ..
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
03-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Ben was not a big fan of the dancing banana logo that we came up with. But the rest of the jersey was fine with him as far as I know.

Jerseys like this are very personal and I doubt you're going to get a really true impression of how much serious interest there is until you actually post a drawing of the design.

BBD

Fixed
03-08-2011, 06:18 AM
ok i will ask mrs fixed to come up with an idea
cheers

dekindy
03-08-2011, 07:03 AM
cheers

Get it approved by Serotta first or you are wasting everybody's time. Everybody agree?

weisan
03-08-2011, 07:09 AM
cheers

fixed-pal, I will get one if mrs fixed paints it!

http://www.join2day.net/abc/P/picasso/picasso106.JPG

LesMiner
03-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Just as an observer, I would buy a tasteful Serrota inspired jersey. The owners club one does look a bit corporate inspired. Any bike manufacturer inspired jersey would probably about the same. I have accumulated many jerseys over the years from charity rides, bike clubs, bike shops, and just plain ones. I can see where a jersey design could be objectionable. A friend bought two jerseys and gave me one. It had "Crabby Old Bastard" in large bold letters front and back. Also few other features I do not care to mention. I wore it once to satisfy my friend. The looks from people were not kind. Humorous to a few but no so to most.

I am certain that mrs fixed can create something to inspire the cycling enthusiast.

Fixed
03-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Get it approved by Serotta first or you are wasting everybody's time. Everybody agree?
that is the plan . i am not doing this as a money making venture
just to make that clear
cheers

Jeff N.
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd be all over it. Count me in. XXXXXL. Jeff N.

Germany_chris
03-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd be interested too.

johnnymossville
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I'd definitely be in for a jersey Fixed. Great Idea and I think it's time, since I never knew there was a jersey before. Lemme know if Mrs. Fixed needs any feedback/help/input on the design. I do design work as well and would gladly help out. Taking money out of the equation always makes design projects more fun. :)

SEABREEZE
03-08-2011, 10:35 AM
You can put me on the list as wanting one.

I'll take one in green and orange to match both of my bikes..

I say that kiddingly, but it would be a good ides to have several colors available, if costs permit

But before any further energy is wasted, get it cleared with Ben, let him have the say as if the design meets his standards in representing Serotta....

fourflys
03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I think this is a great idea Fixed, thanks!

Serotta Pete- can you plant the seed?

dave thompson
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Here's a link to the previous forum jersey. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72362&highlight=forum+jersey+italy

IMO if another jersey were to be made, it would have to reflect not only our wants, needs and tastes but to reflect on the values that Serotta as a corporation has as well those of Ben Serotta too.

deechee
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm in. Personally I'd prefer something more subtle than the owner's club and other jerseys previously released. I also think making a jersey with less emphasis on the stars and stripes might make it more appealing to those of us who aren't American.

Bruce K
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Thansk Dave.

That was the original fundraiser jersey. There were about 50 of them in all (including one that went to Ben). A couple made it overseas.

The PMC jersey was the same design but in black and silver to replace the blue and white.

BK

93legendti
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I think I'm in...

Any interest in a reto jersey?

chuckroast
03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm interested too.

BumbleBeeDave
03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Here's a link to the previous forum jersey. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72362&highlight=forum+jersey+italy

IMO if another jersey were to be made, it would have to reflect not only our wants, needs and tastes but to reflect on the values that Serotta as a corporation has as well those of Ben Serotta too.

. . . that wearing any official Forum jersey automatically makes you look 20 years younger? He's really 97 years old . . . :p

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
03-08-2011, 07:14 PM

. . . and that's what we've done in the past. But it's also kind of a chicken and egg thing IMHO (or should I say ATMO?). I think it helps to sell it a bit with the company if you can says there's a solid group of interested members. After that last one I think as long as you don't put a dancing banana on it Ben would approve just about anything! :rolleyes:

Just please . . . no olive drab Rapha style wool stuff. Make it something that will let drivers see you! (yellow and black zebra stripes would do that--hint, hint.)

And what about some matching bibs? . . . Some of those companies out there that do pretty good work now have very low minimums.

BBD

avalonracing
03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
What do you think the chances are that the now trite ATMO will stay off of the jersey?

Fixed
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
mrs fixed is on it she doesn't work fast
i'll have something to show soon

she has worked with hincapie sportswear before
george 's bother is easy to work with
cheers
is there an email to someone at serotta for the okay on the design ?

legacysti888
03-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I have three Serottas and I lurk around here. That qualifies me as a buyer.

Count me in!

jds108
03-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Count me in. -Jeff

drewski
03-08-2011, 07:51 PM
. . . and that's what we've done in the past. But it's also kind of a chicken and egg thing IMHO (or should I say ATMO?). I think it helps to sell it a bit with the company if you can says there's a solid group of interested members. After that last one I think as long as you don't put a dancing banana on it Ben would approve just about anything! :rolleyes:

Just please . . . no olive drab Rapha style wool stuff. Make it something that will let drivers see you! (yellow and black zebra stripes would do that--hint, hint.)

And what about some matching bibs? . . . Some of those companies out there that do pretty good work now have very low minimums.

BBD

I guess an applique of the picture of the squirrel with his hanging nuts is out of the question.
:banana:

Elefantino
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm in, too.

Race cut or club cut? Full zip?

iPod pocket? EPO pocket? Is that a dancing banana in your pocket? :banana:

Questions...

Bruce K
03-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Actually Dave the little banana guy (the Dave T version) graced the sleeves of both the r/w/b and black jerseys. While Ben was never in love with the banana guy, even on the Sierra Nevada team car, he grudgingly aknowledged his mascot status for both of these.

It was the drunken one holding the beer mug that REALLY torqued Ben off.

But I do agree, leaving him out of this version would probably be a good idea.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
03-08-2011, 09:34 PM

I don't recall ever seeing that one. :eek:

The one we had on the blue jerseys was holding pom-poms.

And, uh, yeah Drewski . . . Mr. Squirrel, maybe. But THAT Mr. Squirrel? No way . . . :p

BBD

rwsaunders
03-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Fixed...we dealt with this woman at Hincapie last year for our MS 150 team jerseys. She was very responsive and a pleasure to deal with.

Drew France
dfrance@hincapiesports.com

Custom Program Director
Hincapie Sportswear
Direct: 864-400-3042
Office: 864-400-3040
Fax: 864-298-2616

Bruce K
03-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Dave;

The original Facory Grand Opening jersey was yellow and had a large banana guy on the front (or maybe the back) and he had a rather drunken look on his face and a beer mug in his hand.

We did the two Hincapie jerseys with a little more sedate approach to Banana Guy.

BK

jr59
03-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Keep us posted on this project.

I'll be down for a VERY XXXXL one!

cdn_bacon
03-09-2011, 07:54 AM
In keeping with the TSF colours... at least on my monitor they are...

my two cents...

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7/tsfkit.jpg

Shred it to bits if you'd like. Had a few minutes to spare to create this.

buldogge
03-09-2011, 08:57 AM
I like this place...

I'd be down for a kit.

Let's keep it simple, classic design as it were.

-Mark in St. Louis

dekindy
03-09-2011, 09:01 AM
TSF? colours? What are they and why?

thegunner
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
oh wow that's nifty... btw, hincapie and voler both have pretty low min order reqs and produce decent stuff. i'd stay away from champion sys though...

cdn_bacon
03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I just picked those colours as I saw them on the bars between all the postings.

probably just a default colour for the forum, but I see it daily.

slowandsteady
03-09-2011, 09:44 AM

my two cents...

I Like it very much - Keep whatever it is simple and clean. I'd be in for a Jersey.

Voler stuff fits me really well.

cdn_bacon
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Not trying to hijack the OP's posting for his wife to do work. Just reckoned I'd throw my hat in the ring.

You are welcome to use this design, whomever will do the ordering. Just msg me and I'll send you the Illustrator file I created. I can also digitize the logo for cap embroidery.

*another side note
I forgot to add a T and F to either side of the Serotta S. Just a quick rendition. :crap:

AngryScientist
03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
count me in for one!

PaMtbRider
03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I like this place and my Serotta so I am definitely interested in a jersey. I could do without the "team" designation on the jersey. Just something that says Serotta Forum would be good with me.

veloduffer
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I like this place and my Serotta so I am definitely interested in a jersey. I could do without the "team" designation on the jersey. Just something that says Serotta Forum would be good with me.

+1 on dropping the "Team". Looks good to me, count me in.

Fixed
03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
that is cool it is your ball
i in for one cheers

avalonracing
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM

my two cents...

I've designed jerseys for a couple of teams and I'd like to point something out that needs to be considered. The size of the circles gets bigger as they move down the body. Even on a thin or fit person it would give the illusion of a weak upper body and an expanding gut (not a good look). Now what do you think it would look like on some of the guys who are carrying anywhere from a little to a lot of extra weight around their gut?

No prob, it's an easy fix.

rice rocket
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Hahaha. I actually laughed out loud from that comment.

And the Serotta forum colors are the default vBulletin colors. I doubt Ben or anyone has a real attachment to them, though I could be wrong.

cdn_bacon
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I can redraw based on the comments bu I wouldn't know where to begin of if anyone wants to take this project on. I drew it up but I can't go forward with any more time dedicated to this.(except for te odd redraw here and there), plus I'm in Canada, and most here have the connections to the U.S of A.

So please if someone wants this jersey by all means contact me.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9725/tsfkita.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
. . . since it was Fixed's idea we should wait to see what Mrs. Fixed comes up with. He has posted her work on here before and she is good.

Personally--and no offense meant to Mr. Bacon--that jersey does look nice. But it also looks pretty much like many other club jerseys I have seen. The Forum is special. We should be looking for something strikingly different--in a good way--that stands out from the crowd. I'm betting Mrs. Fixed can do that!

BBD

firerescuefin
03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
. . . since it was Fixed's idea we should wait to see what Mrs. Fixed comes up with. He has posted her work on here before and she is good.

Personally--and no offense meant to Mr. Bacon--that jersey does look nice. But it also looks pretty much like many other club jerseys I have seen. The Forum is special. We should be looking for something strikingly different--in a good way--that stands out from the crowd. I'm betting Mrs. Fixed can do that!

BBD

Personally...and no offense. A guy that calls himself Bumble Bee who dresses like a Zebra may not be the guy that you want calling the shots to determine what is "fashionable" for everyone else....just sayin.

BumbleBeeDave
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Personally...and no offense. A guy that calls himself Bumble Bee who dresses like a Zebra may not be the guy that you want calling the shots to determine what is "fashionable" for everyone else....just sayin.

You got THAT right! :D

Just give Mrs. Fixed a chance! I know jerseys are often very personal. Let's just see what she comes up with.

Trust me that you do NOT want to see MY doodles of jersey designs! :eek:

BBD

jr59
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM

good point

beungood
03-09-2011, 03:56 PM

my two cents...

I dig it!

veloduffer
03-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Instead of a banana mascot, perhaps a squirrel? :D

SoCalSteve
03-09-2011, 03:58 PM
And of course, it goes without saying that the Moderators get a free jersey.... :banana:

Its in the rule book. Paragraph 6, section C, part III.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Bruce K
03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
+1 on the Moderators Benefit !!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

BK

deechee
03-18-2011, 01:10 PM
No idea if this was ever posted here, but I ran into this on youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDbJvHC3_9c&feature=BF&list=PL89A0DF41FF3628BF&index=6) featuing the beloved banana. :banana:

Dlevy05
03-18-2011, 01:14 PM
I would order one for myself and one for my girlfriend, and I would be ecstatic to see the jersey remotely resemble the artwork posted earlier by weisan. Coming from someone who doesn't normally wear anything with a logos/flashy things on it, a jersey like that would be RIGHT up my alley...

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
. . . that Fixed promises will be the greatest triumph of Western Civilization artistic acheivement since the Sistine Chapel . . .

Or maybe he just said it would "look nice"? don't remember which . . .

Anyway, what about it, Fixed Dude? do we have a "Candidate B" yet? . . . :D

BBD

Pete Serotta
03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
We will also need to get approval from Ben and Stan for the Serotta Name Logo (copyright item).

It has been done before but this is just to protect the future of the logo in regard to use and control of it.

Pete

BTW - - The New York Times has a Sunday article on BB Dave and the styles of his riding apparel :D :D

BumbleBeeDave
03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
BTW - - The New York Times has a Sunday article on BB Dave and the styles of his riding apparel :D :D

. . . NEVER go out of style! . . . :hello:

BBD

Fixed
03-18-2011, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=Serotta_Pete]We will also need to get approval from Ben and Stan for the Serotta Name Logo (copyright item).

we will have something this weekend first to pete then to serotta
cheers

Louis
03-18-2011, 05:19 PM

I have to say, I agree with this.

While decent, for me the designs above are pretty much snoozers. They're similar similar to many jerseys already out there and right now I have enough jerseys in my pile of cycling stuff that to justify getting another one it really has to be special.

With full apologies to those who put time and effort in the proposed designs, this is just ATMO.

Louis

BumbleBeeDave
03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
How we doin'? . . . does Mrs. Fixed have any ideas yet? :)

BBD

Fixed
03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
she is working on it i will send it to you in a day or so ..
she is real busy with her students but she worked on it last night and i think she will do some more when she gets home from class tonight ..
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
she is working on it i will send it to you in a day or so ..
she is real busy with her students but she worked on it last night and i think she will do some more when she gets home from class tonight ..
cheers

Her STUDENTS and their education and welfare are more important than OUR new bike jersey?

Well you just need to talk to her and help her get her priorities straight, Fixed!!! :p :rolleyes:

BBD

eddief
03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
i thought it was unusual and tasty:

William
03-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Actually Dave the little banana guy (the Dave T version) graced the sleeves of both the r/w/b and black jerseys. While Ben was never in love with the banana guy, even on the Sierra Nevada team car, he grudgingly aknowledged his mascot status for both of these.

But I do agree, leaving him out of this version would probably be a good idea.

BK

The first "Banana Guy" (as I remember it) was a rough drawing with him holding beers. I think I recall who came up with that but I won't name names since I am not positive. I don't know if that had Serotta's blessing or not.

The second version was the one I worked up that ended up being used on the stickers and the jerseys that Dave linked to. That one was approved by "Serotta". The forum chose the Banana Guy, and Serotta wanted to make sure that the logo had the correct font and color. Serotta Alyson and I exchanged many emails to get everything right. So that one did have Serotta's blessing stamped on it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mrs Fixed comes up with. :cool:

William

sc53
03-23-2011, 07:12 AM
I would be interested in a jersey that had a retro-look to it--even offered in wool! And that could be offered in women's sizing!! The wool jerseys made for the Finger Lakes Rambles were beautiful--I own two. Anyway, at least offer a couple of women's sizes if you're going to make these~thanks!

drewski
03-23-2011, 07:37 AM

Is this your speed BBD? With matching bib shorts?

http://www.lyrics.as/images/artist/Stryper3370.jpg

William
03-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Is this your speed BBD? With matching bib shorts?

http://www.lyrics.as/images/artist/Stryper3370.jpg

This should answer your question......actually, this should answer just about everything. :D

William

BumbleBeeDave
03-23-2011, 02:15 PM
This should answer your question......actually, this should answer just about everything. :D

William

. .. regret posting that photo for the rest of my life! :beer:

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Here's the three options from Mrs. Fixed in a new thread . . .

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=87913

Fest your eyes upon them!

DAY-um nice job, Mrs. Fixed!

BBD

deechee
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I get a dead link?

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Try this one:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=87923

Bruce K
03-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Dave - how about we close this one to avoid any more confusion?

BK