PDA

View Full Version : Off topic: Digital video editing software...

Kevan
05-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Any recommendations for a family pc?

Number one son has been pushing for dad to get an Apple machine with it's applicable software, but I got to believe there's something comparable that will fly on a XP operated machine. Better that I spend 100+ than a 1000+, me thinks.

92degrees
05-27-2005, 10:55 AM
"Star wipe here, star wipe here.. and star wipe here."
(sorry, Simpson's reference ;) )

Once you've messed around with iMovie the Mac will seem like a bargain! Can't be any more help than that -- I'm an Apple guy.

ada@prorider.or
05-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Any recommendations for a family pc?

Number one son has been pushing for dad to get an Apple machine with it's applicable software, but I got to believe there's something comparable that will fly on a XP operated machine. Better that I spend 100+ than a 1000+, me thinks.

well movie maker comes with xp
for family use its good enough

MadRocketSci
05-27-2005, 03:50 PM
i'm using sony vegas studio. easy to learn and functional. don't know much about pinnacle, ulead, roxio etc except they get mixed reviews. when you've outgrown vegas studio and need more capability, you can try adobe premiere, which like all adobe products, has the steeper learning curve.

cheers

weisan
05-27-2005, 04:07 PM
I like Pinnacle Studio. It came as a bundled package when we bought a new HP windows machine back four years ago.

The key is having a fast processor, or else it will take forever and the editing process won't be much fun. How fast? Personally, I won't settle for anything less than a 2 GHz in this day and age.

Another thing, make sure you have ample disk space. Big volume harddrives are cheap these days, easy upgrade, no worries there.

And lastly, you probably have that already, make sure you have a firewire connection to download the video from the dig vcam.

Producing home videos with matching background music and title overlays are fun once you get the hang of it, go for it.

weisan