PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dirt Road Tires?

buldogge
03-07-2011, 03:45 PM
So...The fat/fender thread made me remember to post this question...

What clincher tires, 32c or so (33s, 35s, 37s as well depending on brand) do people like for dirt and packed gravel road rides?

As my new cross/all-rounder frame gets closer to completion, and I've completed my wheel builds, I need to choose some tires.

I already grabbed a pair of Challenge Grifo XS (white/black) at a good price.

I will have (2) wheelsets...road and dirt basically.

Suggestions???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Riv Jack Browns aren't bad. 33 and change. Roll good on pavement and do fine on dirt and gravel. :beer:

dogdriver
03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I have 32c Kenda Kouriers on my dirt cruncher/ S&S travel bike. Probably not the best out there, but they roll fine on pavement and can handle firm singletrack. Very versatile...

fourflys
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Riv Jack Browns aren't bad. 33 and change. Roll good on pavement and do fine on dirt and gravel. :beer:

if these are good enough for Andy Hampsten as his main tire, I think they'd work fine for most... I had the 650b version on my Rivendell and they worked great...

These (Panaracer Pasela) (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7608&category=593) work well also...

buldogge
03-07-2011, 04:16 PM
I've got a set of 28c Gray Paselas stuffed onto my Sampson Z7 for "winter" tires. Paselas aren't bad...kinda lifeless though.

The Jack Browns are definitely on my radar...are the only available at Rivendell?

TA
-Mark

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
if these are good enough for Andy Hampsten as his main tire, I think they'd work fine for most... I had the 650b version on my Rivendell and they worked great...

These (Panaracer Pasela) (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7608&category=593) work well also...

Yup. Just don't roll out as nice as lighter tires but they are bullet proof. :beer:

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
:beer:

buldogge
03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Are you referring to the Jack Browns or the Paselas???

-Mark

Yup. Just don't roll out as nice as lighter tires but they are bullet proof. :beer:

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I've got a set of 28c Gray Paselas stuffed onto my Sampson Z7 for "winter" tires. Paselas aren't bad...kinda lifeless though.

The Jack Browns are definitely on my radar...are the only available at Rivendell?

TA
-Mark

I bought mine from Hiawatha Cyclery in Minneapolis so you might want to call Riv and see where they might be had. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I ride mine on some pretty rough stuff. :beer:

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Are you referring to the Jack Browns or the Paselas???

-Mark

Paselas. :beer:

that guy
Schwalbe marathons are my pick. Available in lots of sizes.

buldogge
Thanx man...

-Mark

I bought mine from Hiawatha Cyclery in Minneapolis so you might want to call Riv and see where they might be had. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I ride mine on some pretty rough stuff. :beer:

buck-50
03-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Pasela 32s are cheap, they ride reasonably well and they're cheap. Did I mention cheap? Also, bulletproof.

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Schwalbe marathons are my pick. Available in lots of sizes.

Good choice too. I like the ride of the Jack Browns better but Marathons are tought to beat as an allrounder. :beer:

buldogge
03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I'd like to try something other than Paselas...they're allright...readily available if I decide to grab some.

I have 35c Vittoria Hyper Randonneurs on my '68 Super Course...not sure if they would handle dirt/tight gravel very well though...but...they roll pretty nice.

I guess I need to give them a spin on something a little loose for a test...

-Mark

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Pasela 32s are cheap, they ride reasonably well and they're cheap. Did I mention cheap? Also, bulletproof.

This is tough logic to debate or argue with. :beer:

buldogge
03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Out of curiosity...what kind of actual widths are people seeing from 32c (or 35c) Paselas? They will be mounted on A23s FWIW.

Same for Jack Browns, please...

TIA
-Mark

buck-50
03-07-2011, 04:46 PM
On Open pros and on Swiss 1.1s, 32mm paselas run right around 32mm- not enough variation to be worth mentioning.

buldogge
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanx...seems in the past, people reported that they ran narrow. Are these wires or folders??

-Mark

On Open pros and on Swiss 1.1s, 32mm paselas run right around 32mm- not enough variation to be worth mentioning.

singlecross
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Vittoria Cross XN 32mm... nice fine file tread. They added side knobs to them in the last year or so. I've used these the past 2 years at D2R2 and they roll pavement well too.

singlecross

buck-50
03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanx...seems in the past, people reported that they ran narrow. Are these wires or folders??

-Mark
Folding.

I know in the past there was quite a size variation but I've never seen it.

buldogge
03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Those are very similar to the Challenge Grifo XSs I picked up.

One possibility is to run these for dirt/gravel and run the 2nd set with my normal 25c Conti 4000s or 32c Hyper Randonneurs.

-Mark

Vittoria Cross XN 32mm... nice fine file tread. They added side knobs to them in the last year or so. I've used these the past 2 years at D2R2 and they roll pavement well too.

singlecross

buldogge
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanx man...

-Mark

Folding.

I know in the past there was quite a size variation but I've never seen it.

Dave Wages
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I've been running the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 32's on my cross/road bike for the past year and my buddy Henrik rode it at last year's D2R2 with no problems. I had Vittoria Rubino Pro 28's on my road bike and there were only a couple spots where I felt like I would've liked a wider tire. That said, I'm interested to try the Grand Bois 30 and 32c tires this upcoming year, I've heard some good and some bad about them, but they look really nice and supple. Pretty light too.

Cheers,
Dave

buldogge
03-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey Dave... Nice to know about the Hypers! I have heard over and over that the Grand Bois tires are fragile though...

BTW...Love the Randonneur bike you did for NAHBS...hung at your booth for a little while, wanted to tell you how nice the bike was, especially the custom front rack...but...you were mobbed.

So...I'm telling you now! :)

-Mark

I've been running the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 32's on my cross/road bike for the past year and my buddy Henrik rode it at last year's D2R2 with no problems. I had Vittoria Rubino Pro 28's on my road bike and there were only a couple spots where I felt like I would've liked a wider tire. That said, I'm interested to try the Grand Bois 30 and 32c tires this upcoming year, I've heard some good and some bad about them, but they look really nice and supple. Pretty light too.

Cheers,
Dave

fourflys
03-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Dave,
How big are the Rubino 28s? I have Pro2 (not 3s) in 25 on my Litespeed and they fill the chainstays at the seat tube junction...

Thanks

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Wages
03-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey Dave... Nice to know about the Hypers! I have heard over and over that the Grand Bois tires are fragile though...

BTW...Love the Randonneur bike you did for NAHBS...hung at your booth for a little while, wanted to tell you how nice the bike was, especially the custom front rack...but...you were mobbed.

So...I'm telling you now! :)

-Mark

I've heard similar things about the Grand Bois', but I want to try them and find out for myself.

Thanks for the compliment, that rando rack was quite a little project! For anyone who couldn't quite make it into the Ellis booth or just wants to chat about bikes, I'm always just a phone call away!

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Wages
03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Dave,
How big are the Rubino 28s? I have Pro2 (not 3s) in 25 on my Litespeed and they fill the chainstays at the seat tube junction...

Thanks

I've got them mounted on my HED Ardennes, and they measure just about 28. I've got some nice oval chainstays with plenty of space! :D

Cheers,
Dave

Auk
03-07-2011, 08:33 PM
In the vein of file tread tires, the Conti Cyclocross Speeds are great tires. They put them at 35c, but they're not that wide, more in line with a 33-34mm. Roll really nice on pavement and have a surprising amount of grip in dirt.

scrub
03-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I just did a ride today of dirt/gravel/road on Maxxis Raze and they did just fine. I used them early in the CX season last year and they did great there too!

ols
03-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I rode the Grand Bois 700cx30mm tires at d2r2 last year. Probably had about 1500 miles of mixed road/dirt riding on them before the start. They do ride very well, however I was surprised to have 3 separate puncture incidents on the rear (the slow leak over 5 minutes kind), all on softer dirt sections during the first 90k. During my third flat repair, I then managed to inadvertently watch my innertube valve stem go flying off into the weeds as I detached the pump head. (Whoosh of air and flat again...) Hmmmm. Not good. As I was already on my spare tube (and I had chucked the original tube with 2 patches at the prior foodstop -- oops, he thinks in retrospect) I found myself begging on-coming riders for a tube. Thankfully, some saintly (and double spare tube equipped) rider gave me a tube (thank you again!), which was much thicker than my light specialized turbo innertubes. I was then surprised again (happily this time) to ride the last 90k with no more punctures! I would definitely ride them again, but simply do so with either thicker tubes and/or a new set with less wear.

buldogge
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Price/availability wise, I will probably replace the Challenges with these Contis next time around...

-Mark

In the vein of file tread tires, the Conti Cyclocross Speeds are great tires. They put them at 35c, but they're not that wide, more in line with a 33-34mm. Roll really nice on pavement and have a surprising amount of grip in dirt.

buldogge
03-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey...Thanx for the input...little knobbier than I was thinking though...

How were they on the pavement sections, especially while downhill and cornering???

-Mark

I just did a ride today of dirt/gravel/road on Maxxis Raze and they did just fine. I used them early in the CX season last year and they did great there too!

BobbyJones
03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm running Vittoria Randonneur Wire-Bead in a 32c

Cushy and Tough, but feels like i'm pedaling a truck. If my legs don't come around and it really is the tires, i'll be looking for something different.

buldogge
03-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Bobby...Regular Randonneurs, Pros-, or Hypers-???

-Mark

I'm running Vittoria Randonneur Wire-Bead in a 32c

Cushy and Tough, but feels like i'm pedaling a truck. If my legs don't come around and it really is the tires, i'll be looking for something different.

oliver1850
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM

buldogge
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Mark... Do you ride a lot of dirt/gravel out your way?

-Mark

I've got Michelin Jets, but 30 might be the biggest they make.

Ritchey Speedmax (32) are similar, but have slightly bigger knobs on the shoulders and they're a bit closer to the center of the tread.

scrub
03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey...Thanx for the input...little knobbier than I was thinking though...

How were they on the pavement sections, especially while downhill and cornering???

-Mark

They are actually pretty good on the road the knobs aren't super prominent, they were awesome on the hard gravel downhill section yesterday and I was mobbing down at 30mph+

I have a bunch of friends that like the Kenda small block eight too.

Andreas
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
What clincher tires, 32c or so (33s, 35s, 37s as well depending on brand) do people like for dirt and packed gravel road rides?

Kojak's in 700x35.

Faster, Fatter, longer wearing than JB's or GB's.

PS: Based on 2000+ dirt road miles per year.

Wilkinson4
03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I like the JB's on the dirt and they do nice on the pave as long as you get the pressure right. They are really round on my rims.

Right now, I have some Challenge Grifo XS and love them. Also, I think the Conti Top Contact would be great. Have a pair for sale now:) 700x28.

mIKE

xjoex
03-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I like the WTB All Terrainasaurus tires for dirt roads, cinder trails and light singletrack.

I had horrible luck with Vittoria Randonneur, sure they were tough, but they were so hard to take off. I broke countless tire levers.

-Joe

BobbyJones
03-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey Bobby...Regular Randonneurs, Pros-, or Hypers-???

-Mark

It looks like they're regular Randonneurs, about 25 bucks each.

I usually run Conti GP 4-Seasons and/or Gatorskins in 25c with thornproof (heavy!) tubes inside as that's pretty much all I had clearance for until this build. I haven't had an issue with the Contis on gravel and dirt.

The Vittoria is not a bad tire per se, just doesn't feel to me like the sporty ride I was used to. I was trying to save a few bucks over buying the Gatorskins in 32c. Oh well.

BobbyJones
03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I had horrible luck with Vittoria Randonneur, sure they were tough, but they were so hard to take off. I broke countless tire levers.

-Joe

Ha!
As I was looking for my order email to confirm what version of the Randonneur I bought, I noticed my order read:

Vittoria Randonneur Tire Black 700 x 32 2 $26.99 $53.98
Soma Fabrications Steel Core Tire Lever 2 $2.45 $4.90

So I guess somewhere I heard the horror stories as well :) They seemed to go on Open Pros ok. Haven't had to pull em off yet.

buldogge
03-08-2011, 11:24 PM
FWIW...The Hypers are a whole other thing. They are light, folding, roll fast/supple feeling...my only concern is their ability on dirt/gravel...Dave wages seems to assuage that fear a bit though.

So...These are the current contenders (besides the Grifo XSs (and similar) I already have):

Vittoria Hyper Randonneur 32c
Schwalbe Kojak 35c
Schwalbe Durano (wire though) 32c
Pasela (folding) 32c
Jack brown Blues 33.3c

The Schwalbe models may fall by the wayside purely because of availability.
The Jack Browns are more expensive then the others (street prices).

-Mark