PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland

Tom
02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
I might have a chance to go, as long as I don't get fired for spending work time doing just this. Our intent is four of us to ride for about a week. We'd mostly be casual.

We're looking at doing something self-guided and more than likely self-supported. The Swiss bike routes that appear to be marked out look really interesting. We'd do a group thing or something supported if it didn't cost an arm and a leg or have an attitude. (There's only room for one attitude around me, and I have it claimed already!)

We're doing the customary web searches, but experience is the best guide. Anybody that''s been there have any suggestions?

JohnS
02-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Get ahold of Saab2000. He lives there.

saab2000
02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Hello!

When are you planning on going? The best time is summer of course. Days are long and you usually get good weather.

Do you want mountains or rolling? "Flat" riding does not generally exist, but there are some routes which would not be too bad.

I live near Zuerich, but I have not been there for about 3 months and to be honest I do not know when I will go back. I lived there for about 12 years.

The riding in Switzerland is basically very, very good, especially if you stick to the rural and semi-rural areas. It goes without saying that the passes are awesome.

If you have any specific questions I can be contacted by e-mail.

Tom
02-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Saab2000 - thanks, we might e-mail you with a question or two. If we go, we'll go about September 7. The other two in our group will be attending a wedding in Europe and we'd hook up after they discharge their obligations.

I've heard something about a few hills there, but they can't be too big a deal, eh?

BumbleBeeDave
02-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Tom, I am truly wounded! You cut me to the very quick!

Boo-Hoo! :( :( :( :( :( :(

BBDave

gaxi
02-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Tom,

I'm from Southern Germany and have been in Switzerland for several trips. I know a lot of passes there (don't miss the old St. Gotthard route from the south (Airolo) on cobblestone - this is a awesome ride !). If you have any questions about the passes - ask them !

Travelling in the Alps in September can be fine - but it''s also possible that summer is over by the end of August...

Gaxi