PDA

View Full Version : Fendered fat tire bikes are GROWING

Smiley
03-07-2011, 07:39 AM
The image gallery is now displaying a Strong and a Bedford set of bikes which to me shows a growing trend by buyers for a 25-28 mm and maybe more tire size equipped with fenders, rear rack mounts and more relaxed geometries for all day and any road condition riding.

This makes me very happy :) to see. Plus lately when I poll my perspective fit clients on what kind of riding and bike they think they want we seem to always come back to this type of bike. I have within the last year delivered more of these bike designs than any other todate. I currently have 3 Bedford Sport Tourer's in various stages of design and these are all going to be in Titanium construction too.

I personally pull my Bedford Sport Tourer out when ever I am going out to ride by myself, now that Rugby, and Dekonick also have this same bike maybe I'll invite them over to ride with me :)

oldpotatoe
03-07-2011, 07:48 AM
The image gallery is now displaying a Strong and a Bedford set of bikes which to me shows a growing trend by buyers for a 25-28 mm and maybe more tire size equipped with fenders, rear rack mounts and more relaxed geometries for all day and any road condition riding.

This makes me very happy :) to see. Plus lately when I poll my perspective fit clients on what kind of riding and bike they think they want we seem to always come back to this type of bike. I have within the last year delivered more of these bike designs than any other todate. I currently have 3 Bedford Sport Tourer's in various stages of design and these are all going to be in Titanium construction too.

I personally pull my Bedford Sport Tourer out when ever I am going out to ride by myself, now that Rugby, and Dekonick also have this same bike maybe I'll invite them over to ride with me :)

I sell lotsa Gunnar Sports(long reach brakes, fenders), Waterford like the Gunnar, Gunnar GrandTour, Waterford Sport tourer, Gunnar Crosshairs(standard with eyelets)..have for a few years.

Fixed
03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
there more and more rides/events that feature paved road and dirt road sections . i think that is becoming more popular too
cheers

buck-50
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM
That 25-28mm tires are even considered "fat" says just how far we have to go.

Says the rider of a custom, fendered bike rolling 32s...

rwsaunders
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Cool bikes with wider tires and fenders never went away...just ask Mr. Barry and Dr. Brooks.

znfdl
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Speaking of Fat Tired Bikes, I really would like a Pugsley for the next winter......

nahtnoj
03-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I hate sitting on the beach, so I'm thinking about a Pugsley for the summer...

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't own a bike without fenders. :beer:

Vancouverdave
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Think of the pavement in your town! Most city/county/state road repair budgets are NOT growing. Seattle, for instance, should remind bikies of pictures of Belgium--it should surprise nobody who has ridden in that city that a few of the biggest proponents of 650b appropriate (not "fat") tire bikes live there.

drewski
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Cool bikes with wider tires and fenders never went away...just ask Mr. Barry and Dr. Brooks.

Is Mike still in business?

singlecross
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
I think part of the appeal for these bikes (especially customs) is that there was a limited pool of off the rack stock bikes that have the correct tire clearances, fender mounting points, front rack mounting points, etc...

It's relatively easy to walk into a bike shop and get a quality race bike, but a quality commuter/sport/all rounder, not so much.

I do agree that more and more practical bikes are being built in the last few years, both by custom builders and now with some bike companies increasing their offerings.

singlecross

rwsaunders
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Is Mike still in business?

Mike has retired, but he still keeps up a bit with his blog.

http://bicyclespecialties.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=2

sc53
03-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Smiley, when/if I come into funds, a Bedford randonneur-type bike will join my stable as well! I wonder if a frame as small as mine (50 cm) can encompass 650B? Or am I always going to be stuck with 26" MTB wheels as on my Atlantis? I have been enjoying the new bikes in the Bedford gallery and am envious!

Smiley
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Smiley, when/if I come into funds, a Bedford randonneur-type bike will join my stable as well! I wonder if a frame as small as mine (50 cm) can encompass 650B? Or am I always going to be stuck with 26" MTB wheels as on my Atlantis? I have been enjoying the new bikes in the Bedford gallery and am envious!

650 B for your needs :)

SEABREEZE
03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Many positive comments on the Bedford and your fitting.

My question is what would the relaxed geometry of degree be for head tube and seat tube. Also chain stay lenghth and BB height

fourflys
03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Great NAHBS interview with Andy Hampsten where he talks about the importance of fatter tires...

Hampsten (http://hampsten.blogspot.com/)

phcollard
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Great NAHBS interview with Andy Hampsten where he talks about the importance of fatter tires...

Hampsten (http://hampsten.blogspot.com/)

This is cool. Thanks for the heads-up. I can't wait to get my Hampsten... should be in 3-4 weeks now. Of course it's gonna run 28 with fenders (or 33.333333 without). Last year I swore by 23's only but I listened to a couple intelligent guys and now I believe I'm going to love the 28 :)

Aaron O
03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Speaking of Fat Tired Bikes, I really would like a Pugsley for the next winter......

I am so with you...another winter like the last two and I think I'll be able to justify getting one to myself.

My 28c bike with fenders and storage capacity:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/717307-Raleigh-International-post-make-over

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Where I ride I can't jump on a paved road that doesn't intersect with a dirt road and I can't stand not knowing what's down that road so that's why every bike I put together has fat tires and fenders. I consider myself lucky to be able to ride where I do. It's by design. I lived my whole life wanting to live and ride here and there is nothing finer in the bike riding world as far as I'm concerned than going wherever my bike is cabable of taking me and I have the stones to go. :beer:

bicycletricycle
03-07-2011, 03:39 PM
28's are fat?

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
28's are fat?

No. :beer:

keevon
03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
It's by design. I lived my whole life wanting to live and ride here and there is nothing finer in the bike riding world as far as I'm concerned than going wherever my bike is cabable of taking me and I have the stones to go.

Stop teasing us... where is "here"???

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Stop teasing us... where is "here"???

The land of the great chill factor. Today I beat myself up on cross country skis. :beer:

rdparadise
03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
The land of the great chill factor. Today I beat myself up on cross country skis. :beer:

That tells us so much.....

Canada?

Maine??

Minnesota??

Where oh where my dear? (just kidding)

Bob

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
That tells us so much.....

Canada?

Maine??

Minnesota??

Where oh where my dear? (just kidding)

Bob

South of Canada
West of Maine
East of Minnesota

buck-50
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Wisconsin?

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Wisconsin?

Yup. Way north. It's snowing now. I think I'll go get a beer. :beer:

buck-50
03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
we've just got gray. lots of gray.

Also, protesters.

Frankwurst
03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
we've just got gray. lots of gray.

Also, protesters.

At least I can ski. Alone. :beer:

OBD
03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I hate sitting on the beach, so I'm thinking about a Pugsley for the summer...

if you need a Pugs, then you really need to talk to ME! :hello:

i like my fat Wojcik 650b 'D2R2' designed and ridden specifically for this event (and those like it)

fenders pending. i'm thinking custom wood.

dimsy
03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
i'm about to jump on this bandwagon. i plan on converting an old steel frame to a 650b commuter w/ as fat a tire as i can fit between the stays. pics when its done :D

93legendti
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
what are we liking for 28c tires these days?

mpetry
03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
You know Peter Weigle is rebuilding / restoring very select classic bikes from the 70s into 650B bikes with fenders. They look very nice and of course he does them up right with braze ons and period paint. Here's a recent one:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5258/5473711325_ae7b195c8b_z.jpg

As for tires, in the 28 (X 700) size, I'm running the Panaracer tourgard (rear) and Grand Bois 25mm tire in front. I found the GB a little fragile for the rear, but they feel great, so this combination works well and no flats!

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

saab2000
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM

I'm using a set of Panaracer Ruffy Tuffys on my cobbled together Redline single-speed. It's being used here in Grand Rapids where (like where you live) the roads are deteriorating faster than they're being renovated. I'm also using some wider Mavic rims which spread them out a bit. They ride pretty well and the larger contact patch rolls over the dying tarmac very nicely.

I have had a couple flats but I'm hoping that's due more to bad luck than the tires being crappy. They're supposed to be pretty durable.

So far, I'm pretty impressed by the 700x28 Ruffy Tuffys. If I weren't such a snob I might try them more often on other bikes... :beer:

bicycletricycle
03-07-2011, 09:52 PM
panaracer t serve and rubino pros. t serves are nice and durable, rarely get a flat, tough enough for some off road. Rubinos ride better but are much more "road only"

i hate tan walls, they just quickly become dirt walls.

93legendti
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm using a set of Panaracer Ruffy Tuffys on my cobbled together Redline single-speed. It's being used here in Grand Rapids where (like where you live) the roads are deteriorating faster than they're being renovated. I'm also using some wider Mavic rims which spread them out a bit. They ride pretty well and the larger contact patch rolls over the dying tarmac very nicely.

I have had a couple flats but I'm hoping that's due more to bad luck than the tires being crappy. They're supposed to be pretty durable.

So far, I'm pretty impressed by the 700x28 Ruffy Tuffys. If I weren't such a snob I might try them more often on other bikes... :beer:
I may have to try some. I have Panaracer Pasela TG's in 28c, but I only like them at low psi.
I have some Mich Krylion's in 25c I like, but they are probably on their last legs

phcollard
03-08-2011, 12:45 AM

I like the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix.
I've got a pair of the new Ultremo ZX 700x28 on order as well.
For the more dirty road there's also the Durano "Performance"

d_douglas
03-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Awesome! I love it.

That is inspiring me for my next bike (I have no idea when that will be, however.....)

Rueda Tropical
03-08-2011, 07:11 PM

Schwalbe Ultremo 28c.

I've been using the R.1 but there is a new model out now. It's the only top of the line racing clincher I know of other then the Challenge PR that is available in 28. Unlike the Challenge which is great, but for me was incredibly fragile (a flat every other ride after a few weeks of wear), the Ultremo's have been bullet proof.

rwsaunders
03-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Every time that I see a photo of a Peter Weigle bike, I envision myself riding down a country lane in a Spring rain, with a ---- eating grin on my face.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/4940895529/lightbox/#/photos/49353569@N00/4956429083/lightbox/

JohnHemlock
03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I like the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix.
I've got a pair of the new Ultremo ZX 700x28 on order as well.
For the more dirty road there's also the Durano "Performance"

+1 on Challenge P-Rs. I have cut a couple of them but they ride like butter.