PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Prevail

jasond
03-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I was in Belmont Wheel Works today and was trying on some helmets. I first tried the Catlikes and as much as I want to like them it just did not fit right. I next tried the Prevail and at first didn't have it adjusted correctly. Once adjusted I found the helmet to fit like a glove.

I worry slightly about the straps they seems a little flimsy. Anyone have experience with the Prevail?

soul survivor
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I had the same problem with Cat -- simply didn't fit my large head. Fit my son's head fine -- but the Giro has a far more refined adjustment mechanism than the Cat, and fits us both well. IMO, Cat's overpriced and under-refined.

BumbleBeeDave
03-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I had the same problem with Cat -- simply didn't fit my large head. Fit my son's head fine -- but the Giro has a far more refined adjustment mechanism than the Cat, and fits us both well. IMO, Cat's overpriced and under-refined.

. . . fits like the glove jasond talks about. The ventilation is also way better than any other helmet I've tried.

Even after much fiddling, my Ionos fits only OK. Best helmets to fit me consistently through many models have been Bell. Bell and Giro are owned by the same company now but the two different brands just seem to have differently shaped basic shapes.

BBD

soul survivor
03-06-2011, 03:21 PM
All head specific!

jonnyBgood
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I got the new Specialized Prevail about two months ago and find it one of the best fitting helmets I have ever owned. I'm not to keen with the looks from the front but oh well....

The last thing you have to worry about is the straps being to flimsy. They hold the helmet on your head very well and as they get dirty and grimy they don't stiffen up like the older straps did. The helmet AND straps have to past the same tests as any other helmets so...no worries.

just my 2 cents

jasond
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I got the new Specialized Prevail about two months ago and find it one of the best fitting helmets I have ever owned. I'm not to keen with the looks from the front but oh well....

The last thing you have to worry about is the straps being to flimsy. They hold the helmet on your head very well and as they get dirty and grimy they don't stiffen up like the older straps did. The helmet AND straps have to past the same tests as any other helmets so...no worries.

just my 2 cents

Thank you...the feedback is exactly what I was looking for.

Have you tried to put your glasses in the vents while riding? I read somewhere that it was a problem.

WeakRider
03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I want one so badly...just a little out of my price range right now. S-Works helmets are the best for people with big heads.

jonnyBgood
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I wear Oakley jawbone glasses.

I turn the glasses upside down and stick them in the vents and have no issues at all while riding.

jasond
03-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Again...Thank you! Looks like I'll head back to Wheel Works soon.