PDA

View Full Version : OT: Winter car tire size question

tv_vt
03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm running 205/55 R16 winter tires on my Jetta wagon. Can't say I've been happy with their performance this winter. I'd like to put on some tires that are narrower to increase snow traction. I can't run a smaller size wheel (16 is limit) on this car, so downsizing in the usual way by going to a 15 inch wheel, etc., isn't feasible.

So I'm wondering, can I run a 195/55 R16 tire on the car, and if so, what issues am I facing? That would get the tire a little narrower, but would the tire be a smaller outside diameter?

Thanks for any info.

Thom

rwsaunders
03-06-2011, 02:39 PM
www.tirerack.com addresses some of your questions, in terms of changing tire size.

regularguy412
03-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm running 205/55 R16 winter tires on my Jetta wagon. Can't say I've been happy with their performance this winter. I'd like to put on some tires that are narrower to increase snow traction. I can't run a smaller size wheel (16 is limit) on this car, so downsizing in the usual way by going to a 15 inch wheel, etc., isn't feasible.

So I'm wondering, can I run a 195/55 R16 tire on the car, and if so, what issues am I facing? That would get the tire a little narrower, but would the tire be a smaller outside diameter?

Thanks for any info.

Thom

rw sent you a good link. you'll want a different Aspect Ratio. That means get a tire that fits in the wheel wells (overall height for your 16 inch rims). That means getting a '65' or a '75' instead of a '55'.

This gives you more sidewall height relative to the tread with.

Mike in AR:beer:

BengeBoy
03-06-2011, 02:49 PM
www.tirerack.com addresses some of your questions, in terms of changing tire size.

Call 'em for advice, ask your question, have tires delivered to a nearby shop, drop your car off for installation, drive away.

tv_vt
03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
The 'minus' sizing that Tire Rack talks about involves getting a smaller wheel size - going from a 16 or 17 inch wheel down to a 15 inch wheel. I can't do that on my car. Won't take anything smaller than a 16 inch wheel for some reason, and that's what I have now. That's the traditional approach to getting a narrower tread and it's worked for me before. These new-fangled cars though have all sorts of limitations... :crap:

veloduffer
03-06-2011, 03:47 PM
What model/brand tire are you using?

tv_vt
03-06-2011, 04:06 PM
General Altimax Artic, non-studded. Supposed to be a good winter tire, but I've found them to be a little hairy at times this winter, and just under-performing in snow overall. Mileage is not a factor - they're a year or two old, well under 10K miles on them.

Ken Robb
03-06-2011, 04:09 PM
195/65-16 should approximate the overall diameter of your present size.

DfCas
03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
The first number is the section width. The second number indicates that the sidewall is 55% as tall as it is wide. I agree that narrower ius better for winter use.

So, find the charts that list tire diameter and try to get a 65 or 70 that ia about the same diameter as your original tires.

thwart
03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I suspect you'd actually gain more by changing to a different brand tire than by changing your aspect ratio...

AngryScientist
03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
The 'minus' sizing that Tire Rack talks about involves getting a smaller wheel size - going from a 16 or 17 inch wheel down to a 15 inch wheel. I can't do that on my car. Won't take anything smaller than a 16 inch wheel for some reason, and that's what I have now. That's the traditional approach to getting a narrower tread and it's worked for me before. These new-fangled cars though have all sorts of limitations... :crap:

i'm sure it has to do with the size of the brake rotors and calipers on your car, a smaller diameter wheel simply won't clear the brake calipers.

that said, from what i've read the general tires you've got are not the best winter tires out there, i would switch to a set of blizzaks or michelin x-ice's, a much better tire.

i dont think you'll buy much of anything swapping to a tire section width a few mm's slimmer, you'll do much better running the stock size with a simply better tire.

finally, you should understand the limitations of your car and ANY tire in certain winter driving conditions, sometimes we assign blame to the tires, drivetrain, vehicle, etc in certain specific conditions that are simply bad driving circumstances, regardless of equipment, it's doubtful that better, or skinnier tires would have helped you in the few instanced you're thinking of, though it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking better performance is an equipment swap away.

(i just reread what i wrote, and it sounds preachy, that wasnt what i was aiming for at all, just food for thought...) :beer:

tele
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
funny i am running the altimax this winter in 205-60-16 on my jetta wagon and have been happy with them. i dont know if they changed the tread design this year or not though, but i might be blinded by the $$ i saved over going with my usual nokian choices.
btw, i am down the road a piece in western mass and have driven all over new england this winter so i have seen my share of snow/ice.

PacNW2Ford
03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
195/65-16 should approximate the overall diameter of your present size.

195/60R-16 would be closer, if they make such an animal.

veloduffer
03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
General Altimax Artic, non-studded. Supposed to be a good winter tire, but I've found them to be a little hairy at times this winter, and just under-performing in snow overall. Mileage is not a factor - they're a year or two old, well under 10K miles on them.

Perhaps its the brand and size. I've had very good experience with Bridgestone Blizzak and there is a new WS-70 this year with improved compounds. One dealer wanted me to downsize the tire, but my concern is not snow but ice in northern NJ is the ice. The plowing has generally been good but we have short, steep hills where water/ice collect near the bottom. Very easy to slide right into an intersection.

The Blizzaks were put on my minivan (Sienna FWD) because last year it had a tough time in the winter with the Yokohama TRZ, which was supposed to be decent in snow (but no snow tire substitute).

On my Highlander (2004 AWD), I have Goodyear Fortera All-seasons that are Mud+Snow designated. They have worked well over the past few winters.

salem
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
This would probably far exceed the cost of what would be considered a reasonable solution, but various racing (particularly rally) wheel manufacturer produce forged wheels that be made thinner to clear brake calipers. Demon Tweeks in the UK carries a number of lines and may be able to point you in the direction of 15" that might clear. The other place to check is a VW forum.

Also, the other advantage of a narrower tire (given the same model and inflation) is a potential for better fuel economy.

Ken Robb
03-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Tire rack has 195/60-16 Blizzaks for $85.