PDA

View Full Version : Eddy Merckx tubing

robertt8883
03-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a 1996/1997 Merckx ov-pro Frame made with Columbus (neuron) Genius tubing, is it comparable to Slx tubing? Do they still use the Neuron or Genius tubing?

ultraman6970
03-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Neuron and slx are totally different tubes robert.

SLX disappeared to make room to oversize tubing like the neuron or genius. No idea if are comparable tho, at that level of bikes who cares?

Take care.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a 1996/1997 Merckx ov-pro Frame made with Columbus (neuron) Genius tubing, is it comparable to Slx tubing? Do they still use the Neuron or Genius tubing?

Genius, EL-OS and Neuron were oversized tubesets when compared to SL/SP/SLX/TSX. Genius and EL-OS were similar in terms of wall thickness and butting but Neuron had an up and down orientation. In other words, on the downtube, for instance, the wall thickness was thicker on the up and down sides of the tube, on the sides, the wall thickness was thinner. Outside of tube was round but the inside was oval.

All three were 'nivachrome' also, chrom-moly with more 'stuff' in them, like vanadium, to make it as strong as thicker walled stuff with less weight.

Pete Serotta
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Genius, EL-OS and Neuron were oversized tubesets when compared to SL/SP/SLX/TSX. Genius and EL-OS were similar in terms of wall thickness and butting but Neuron had an up and down orientation. In other words, on the downtube, for instance, the wall thickness was thicker on the up and down sides of the tube, on the sides, the wall thickness was thinner. Outside of tube was round but the inside was oval.

All three were 'nivachrome' also, chrom-moly with more 'stuff' in them, like vanadium, to make it as strong as thicker walled stuff with less weight.

He is a maestro for the forum,,,,,THANKS!!!! btw he is also a true value add to us and our questions. :beer: :beer: Pete

oliver1850
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM

robertt8883
03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks I received all the info that I need for a buyer that I have on my Merckx OV-Pro frame.

Thanks
Robertt8883

Fixed
03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
http://www.smartcycles.com/nemo_747.htm

i remember when it came out i thought it was a gimmick i had sl colum.that
i loved wait ..i still do
cheers