PDA

View Full Version : GXP Bottom Bracket Help- Rubbing but need to use spacer- SOLVED

sean
03-06-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm building up a cross bike for a friend with some Truative Rouleur cranks. The BB for it is a gxp.

According to the instructions, I'm supposed to install it w/o spacers. When I do, all is almost fine except I'm running a single ring with a chainring sandwich.

The inside bash guard hits the frame just slightly. So I added some spacers. Perfect! Except now the spider of the drive side rubs against the cup.

Any ideas?

oldpotatoe
03-06-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm building up a cross bike for a friend with some Truative Rouleur cranks. The BB for it is a gxp.

According to the instructions, I'm supposed to install it w/o spacers. When I do, all is almost fine except I'm running a single ring with a chainring sandwich.

The inside bash guard hits the frame just slightly. So I added some spacers. Perfect! Except now the spider of the drive side rubs against the cup.

Any ideas?

If the frame is metal, you can place a socket against that place where the ring rubs and smack it with a hammer, making a wee dent there. Depends on how dear the frame is but it won't hurt it. Done this on steel, ti and aluminum.

ultraman6970
03-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Just put a spacer man.

sean
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Did you read the post? Spacer is the issue.

ultraman6970
03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Where is he putting the spacer?? you can put an spacer between the cup and the frame that will move the crank a tiny bit, around 3 mm is the usual size.

sean
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Again. You gotta read the first post. He (meaning me) is putting the spacer between the frame and the cup as you are supposed to. The issue is the cup (GXP is external) is rubbing against the spider of the cranks.

sean
03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED. Turns out I was using a newer crank with an older GXP Bottom Bracket. The older ones have squared shoulders while the newer ones have beveled shoulders. Hits in all the right spots, even WITH the spacer to push out the chainline a bit.

I've seen a lot of thread online about this with no answers, hopefully this will help someone else.